[comp.sys.atari.st] computer purchase decision

brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Brandon G. Lovested) (10/25/89)

Well, after examining the response to my MIDI question, the general
chatter in the comp.sys.atari.st news, and, more than any other single
person, Richard Covert,  I have decided *not* to buy an Atari anything.

Atari has had its head stuck [...] since before I used to sell the 800/400's
eight years ago.  I have no doubt that there are innovative people working
at Atari, but the _machine_ that is the structure of the company is slow,
inefficient, and lacks focus.

BUSINESS__
Atari will *never* be considered a business computer.  They shouldn't attempt
to wear that label.  They could, however, actively `interface' with what's
going on in the business world in order to support those users who require
both what the Atari is good at, as well as business-type applications (e.g.:
spreadsheets).

Atari has a name for games; an arena they've been thrown out of by Nintendo.
Atari has a name for graphics, though not quite as good as Amiga, & Mac II.
Atari has a name for sound.  MIDI built in is a nice feature, but unless this
is your exclusive use, there are better systems out (even in terms of
cost-effectiveness).  These shortcomings can all be overcome, though. TT?  ATW?

THE_CRUX__
What Atari also has a name for (over 8 years) is poor support, both for the
users/developers, and the stores who sell their products.  Let's focus on the
business & marketing people, as well as whatever Tramiel is `in charge'.  This
general area is where the heart of the problem lies.  And frankly, yes, I do
think I could do better.  Judging from the talk here, so do many others.

Marketing has done a very bad job.  With no focus, what is their target?
It is possible to design and build a wonderful, wonderful system, but the
engineers don't decide what to build.  That's under the direction of the
upper echelon.

RECAPPING__
Well, I didn't want this to be a novella.  I just thought a better focus
for criticism (well deserved) would be the "decision makers."
Simply put:

                          Atari,

                       You blew it.

Brandon G. Lovested          |	"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped,
brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM  |	 My life is my own."

gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (10/25/89)

In article <519@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Brandon G. Lovested) writes:

>Well, after examining the response to my MIDI question, the general
>chatter in the comp.sys.atari.st news, and, more than any other single
>person, Richard Covert,  I have decided *not* to buy an Atari anything.

Well, there are whiners in every bunch.

I personally must say that I knew what my ST was when I bought it, it
has performed as I expected, and I think I am getting my money's worth.

Your mileage may vary.

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                             I'm not the NRA.

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (10/26/89)

>>Well, after examining the response to my MIDI question, the general
>>chatter in the comp.sys.atari.st news, and, more than any other single
>>person, Richard Covert,  I have decided *not* to buy an Atari anything.
 >>
 >>       Atari,
>>     You blew it.
Simply put I think Atari has made a lot of serious mistakes but you
blew it by taking Richard seriously. He can't make up his mind from
message to message.

This is just my personal opinion, but I have been a covert watcher for 30
years, watching Richard, here and there, for around two.