[comp.sys.atari.st] TT's, flames, etc

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/23/89)

I forgot who said that the TT was "available," but I could not help but
snicker.  I think the poor fellow mentioned something about the machine
being shown at some show and the users raved about it, etc...ad
nauseum.  As I recall, the Atari CD ROM player was also shown to a
wide-eyed and bushy-tailed group of enthusiasts SEVERAL YEARS AGO and
where is it today?  When the product is in a store where I can
see/touch/buy (HAH!) it, then it is available.  Until then it is vapor
hype.  Sure any clever fellow with a bit of money and some brains can
put together a couple of nifty prototypes and show them around and
brag, but production is another matter all together.  I think Atari has
shown their bungling ways long enough.  Some people will just have to
get hit over the head with a 520ST power supply before they see the
light.

It is worth noting, however, that Atari DID produce a nifty little
MS-DOS (albeit DOS 2.1) box for PeeCee lovers and you CAN ACTUALLY
purchase it.  AND they did produce a nifty little handheld vieo game.
Just goes to show you where their priorities lie.  Hell, if there is
more money to be made by making little gadgets instead of computers
then why waste their time on the ST at all?  It is/was a great
computer, but the lack of support and lagging development has been
dragging the ST line to the technological basement.  Ahhh, but I still
like it for Air Warrior. :-)  Now, off into my ME262 I go.  Wheeee!

Chris Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (10/23/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.625121816.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> I forgot who said that the TT was "available," but I could not help but
> snicker.

So much for flames to /dev/null. Listen, do you remember when earlier
this year, and Atari spokesman said, "Ok, we're going to do a better
job this time." Since then, they have announced:

1) The Porfolio. Shipping in the US.
2) The Stacy. Shipping in Europe.
3) The PC4. Shipping in europe? Samples in the US?
4) The ATW. Shipping in europe? Samples in the US?
5) The TT.
6) The STE.
7) The Lynx.

Sounds like they have been doing a better job than in the past. Tell
you what, why don't we postpone this discussion for 4 months. If, at that
point, Atari hasn't delivered the TT or STE or Lynx, then flame them for
it once. Then shut up.

We'll all be much happier.

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                             I'm not the NRA.

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (10/24/89)

In article <2161@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
> In article <CMM.0.88.625121816.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>
> > I forgot who said that the TT was "available," but I could not help but
> > snicker.
>

> 1) The Porfolio. Shipping in the US.
> 2) The Stacy. Shipping in Europe.
> 3) The PC4. Shipping in europe? Samples in the US?
> 4) The ATW. Shipping in europe? Samples in the US?
> 5) The TT.
> 6) The STE.
> 7) The Lynx.
>
> Sounds like they have been doing a better job than in the past. Tell
> you what, why don't we postpone this discussion for 4 months. If, at that
> point, Atari hasn't delivered the TT or STE or Lynx, then flame them for
> it once. Then shut up.
                ^^^^^^^
That's not nice...

> We'll all be much happier.
> Greg Lindahl

Four more months!  That's all?  Let's see...???? I can wait that, easily!
After all, i've waited since June of '86 when my dealer told me
that ATARI was coming out with the TT and that it would stick on the
back of my 1040ST.  So that will be less than 4 years total!
Not bad ATARI!

"Sounds like they have been doing a better job..."

BTW:  does it matter to anyone in the USA or in CANADA
what is being shipped in Europe?
Turbo C by Borland lives in Europe...
Lots of neat stuff hangs out in Europe...
May not be a bad place to live, either....

-kevin

alright.. don't everyone start sending me EMIgration papers...

Why do I get the feeling that the people who are flaming me
for not having a TT on my desk own stock in ATARI?

4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) (10/24/89)

In article <4167@blake.acs.washington.edu>, ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:>                 ^^^^^^^

> After all, i've waited since June of '86 when my dealer told me
> that ATARI was coming out with the TT and that it would stick on the
> back of my 1040ST.  So that will be less than 4 years total!
> Not bad ATARI!

 You fell for that old one?!!  There is a difference between rumor and
an idea about to come to market.

> Why do I get the feeling that the people who are flaming me
> for not having a TT on my desk own stock in ATARI?

  All I ask for is that we give Atari as many fair chances as possible.  If
Atari goes down in flames, it is because of bad management and no support
from the public.  If the public supports, the bad management usually works
out.  If the public doesn't support, bye bye Atari, bye bye new ideas,
bye bye change....

Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
London, Ontario
Canada

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (10/25/89)

In article <3979.25443723@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) writes:
>  All I ask for is that we give Atari as many fair chances as possible.  If
>Atari goes down in flames, it is because of bad management and no support
>from the public.  If the public supports, the bad management usually works
>out.  If the public doesn't support, bye bye Atari, bye bye new ideas,
>bye bye change....

>2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca

Do they teach logic in your math department?

After that, sign up for a business class...
They should off a course in basic economics
at your university...

If they don't, just stop and think a bit...

I like your spirit, however...

-ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'C is cool, but what about LOGO?' Newton) (10/26/89)

In article <3979.25443723@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) writes:
>  All I ask for is that we give Atari as many fair chances as possible.  If
>Atari goes down in flames, it is because of bad management and no support
>from the public.  If the public supports, the bad management usually works
>out.  If the public doesn't support, bye bye Atari, bye bye new ideas,
>bye bye change....

   BZZZZ!  Wrong.  The people that have Atari's _DO_ support them, this is the
_only_ reason they are here.  That _DOES NOT_ insure Atari's continued semi-
success in the States.  Third party support, _AD CAMPAIGN'S_ would _really_
help a _lot_, maybe even some product announcements from Atari that were true
(btw, good job on the PC hand-held and the Lynx (if we see it), even though I
don't want one, ya' done good) like the TT, or the Transputer workstation.
   Someone complained about the TT being less-than-advanced, but really, little
is these days.  I think it's a step in the right direction if it ever gets out
and into _our_ hands.

   Oh well, enough underlines for a day.

--
David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--
(414) 524-7343 (work) |    dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu     | for the future--