[comp.sys.atari.st] FORTRAN

bud@ms.uky.edu (William K Glunt) (06/14/89)

 Howdy all,
 A while ago, someone mentioned a PD FORTRAN compiler for the st that ran
under OS. Does anyone know where these can be obtained from?

                               Thanks
                              William K Glunt

Hi Andy!

swklassen@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (06/15/89)

In article <11905@s.ms.uky.edu> bud@ms.uky.edu (William K Glunt) writes:

> A while ago, someone mentioned a PD FORTRAN compiler for the st that ran
>under OS. Does anyone know where these can be obtained from?

I'm also interested in this.  Could responses please be posted?

Steven W. Klassen
Computer Science Major
University of Waterloo

hecht@zedat.fu-berlin.dbp.DE (Wolfgang Hecht) (09/16/89)

Hello,
i need some infos about fortran on the atari. I think about porting a large
fortran subroutine package (~100000 lines of code), and would like to
get some infos about:
- which compiler (in which versions) are available
- which experiences did you make, goods and odds.

Any contribution welcome
Wolfgang

Mark.Johnson@metnet.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Johnson) (09/18/89)

Prospero Fortran is very slick with lots of excellent docs and all the
bindings books. They are ANSI standardized and allow GEM interfaced
with Fortran programs. Look into it!

--
Mark Johnson - via FidoNet node 1:147/10
UUCP: ...!att!occrsh!uokmax!metnet!Mark.Johnson

4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (10/19/89)

I need help finding a GOOD fortran for my ST.

Any suggestions...?--

Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
London, Ontario
Canada

chris@tadhg.newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Forker - Nav Arch-) (10/20/89)

In article <3937.253ca865@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I need help finding a GOOD fortran for my ST.
>
>Any suggestions...?--

>Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
>2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
>The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
>London, Ontario
>Canada

	I'v used Prospero's Fortran for several years now, and find it
        reasonable. One of the good things is the ease by which code can
        ported too and from the PC without any changes if you use
        their PC compiler as well.

	The compiler is not the fastest around, but produces tight
        code.  The actual workbench is v.good, and I find it very
        productive. The latest 'toolbox' from Prospero gives even
        greater flexibility to this environment. They also have
        MC68881 support as well.

	Hope this helps

	Chris.

	I only use the product, I don't have shares in the company.

+-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--+--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-+
|   mail: Chris.Forker@newcastle.ac.uk   |   Dept. Marine Technology        |
|  voice: +44 91 2226000 X 6750          |   Newcastle University           |
|    fax: +44 91 2611182                 |   Newcastle upon Tyne            |
|                                        |   NE1 7RU  ENGLAND               |
+-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--+--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-+

stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) (10/22/89)

In article <3937.253ca865@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I need help finding a GOOD fortran for my ST.

The only good FORTRAN is a dead FORTRAN.

INET stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
UUCP {backbone}!dftsrv!iris613!stailey

UI0T@DKAUNI2.BITNET ("Thomas Koenig") (10/25/89)

dftsrv!iris613!stailey@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Ken Stailey) writes:
> The only good FORTRAN is a dead FORTRAN.
I don't like FORTRAN very much either, but, after working with it for
almost a year, I have come to realize that there are reasons why it
still survives today. It is a very powerful tool for numerical work
(COMPLEX type, different precision for sin, cos ect. (am I flaming C?
Perhaps I am)), and if one maintains strict programming discipline,
it is possible to write structured and legible code in it. It is
possible to write useful and portable programs within the standard
(something that still has to happen to C), and there is a huge amount
of numerical software written in it.  It is also inelegant and
bug-prone in certain areas (array passing, COMMON blocks, few control
statements), but a good compiler can help a lot with that.
(I didn't start working with FORTRAN on my own accord, but because
I had to - working on a IBM mainframe for which there IS no
other decent compiler here at the computer center).
Prospero FORTRAN is very good (it implements the full FORTRAN77 -
standard), but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Thomas  Koenig                   UI0T@DKAUNI2.BITNET
                                 UI0T%DKAUNI2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
(soon: new address, old machine) UI0T@IBM3090.RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE.DE
'Ich dachte nicht, ich untersuchte.'            Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen

ron@gsbmva.uchicago.edu (Ronald J. Rangel) (10/25/89)

It is pretty funny reading messages about programmers bashing FORTRAN.
There are computer languages that are better suited for some tasks than
other computer languages.  To say "FORTRAN stinks!" or " C is for
techno-geek-wimps" is silly.  They are just tools.  "If all you have is
a hammer then everything looks like a nail." applies here.  Another
would be "There are no bad computer languages just dumb programmers
who don't know how or when to use them."

Ron

t19@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (10/26/89)

You might want to check out Absoft Fortran.  It compiles a lot faster than
Prospero, although the resulting code is not as good.  My times are
- 20 sec to compile a 20-30K file
- 20 sec to link with 25 others to a 500K program (using my own linker)
- 20 sec to find out what went wrong this time 'round
That is a LOT faster than on our mainframe.

G.J. van Oldenborgh

rode@uniol.UUCP (Dirk Rode) (10/26/89)

>> The only good FORTRAN is a dead FORTRAN ???

 Sorry, but 70 % of the whole software for science is written in FORTRAN.
So, you need FORTRAN for Life.
 Others, working in commercial sectors, only work with COBOL.
So you need mostly only 2 languages to work.

(And IBM's /370 macro Assembler ...)

mfG Diro

*  Dirk Rode                   *   UUCP: ...!unido!uniol!rode          *
*  Zwischenahner Str. 64       *   Bitnet:   077481@Doluni1.Bitnet     *
*  Arbeitsgruppe Rechnerbetrieb Informatik der                         *
*  Universitaet Oldenburg (FB 10 - ARBI)                               *