[comp.sys.atari.st] Life with Atari

4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) (10/23/89)

  This letter was a response to a fellow with whom I discussed Atari's
(mis)fortunes.  I think I'll post it.

  I, as anyone, will admit that Atari has had some lame ducks that stayed
on the development shelf gathering dust.  But based on the prior three years
track record, I am willing to believe that Atari R&D has their act together.
I remember when the 520 was announced.  I had my reservations, that computer
meant that Atari had to drop an entire train of thought.  No more 8 bit.
Just 16 bit.  I was amazed when it came out.  Then the 1040. Then the Mega
line, a real jump.  Then the (cheap, good quality) laser printer. Then
the transputer (an AFFORDABLE parrallel prcessing unit for END-USER's).
Porfolio and STacy following soon.  Now there is a Transputer workstation.
It goes on and on, all the while, spurring companies like Wordperfect Corp.
and others to support it.  Atari has had no easy task over the last three
to five years, I think they have done pretty well.  It is time we get over
the stigma of Atari being a 'neophyte' company.  They seem to be holding their
own, progressing.  Doesn't every company have it's own white elephants?
Don't you know anyone who owns an Apple Lisa?........

Regards,

Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
London, Ontario
Canada

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Jouni Alkio) (10/24/89)

>In article <3970.2542f26a@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) writes:

		---Part of the text deleted---

> Atari has had no easy task over the last three
> to five years, I think they have done pretty well.  It is time we get over
> the stigma of Atari being a 'neophyte' company.  They seem to be holding their
> own, progressing.  Doesn't every company have it's own white elephants?
> Don't you know anyone who owns an Apple Lisa?........

That's right! One important point to think about when blaming Atari for
being slow is: It is much more difficult to design a computer which
costs, say 1000$, than one that costs 2000$ (if both of these are about
as effective and are using the same CPU). Atari can't let out a computer
which still is too expensive to be "Power without the Price". And, as Andrew
already wrote, Atari HAS brought very varied and original products lately.
For example, the portfolio is said to be the smallest PC in the world.
(I must be sounding like an Atari salesman...)

					Jouni Alkio

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/24/89)

In article <3970.2542f26a@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) writes:

>   This letter was a response to a fellow with whom I discussed Atari's
> (mis)fortunes.  I think I'll post it.
>
>   I, as anyone, will admit that Atari has had some lame ducks that stayed
> on the development shelf gathering dust.  But based on the prior three years
> track record, I am willing to believe that Atari R&D has their act together.

So, just *WHAT* has ATARI released in the last 3 years??
First, they came out with the Mega ST line. The Megas could have been a great
chance for Atari to increase color graphics and/or sound (ala the VaporWare
1040STE). the Mega could have been a chance for Atari to provide a wide open
computer with plenty of open card slots. The Mega could have been a chance for Atari
to fix some hardware problems (like why didn't Atari add a DMA port buffer so that
you can drive 2 external harddrives AND the SLM804 laser printer?). The Mega
could have been expandable from 2 megabytes to 4 megabytes. The BLitter chip could
have had ALL of the features that were originally promised 3 years ago. Needless
to say, none of these things were done, and the Mega was promised to be a
"Business" computer, so they should have been done. Cost would be a minor
consideration when buying a Top Of The Line computer.

> I remember when the 520 was announced.  I had my reservations, that computer
> meant that Atari had to drop an entire train of thought.  No more 8 bit.
> Just 16 bit.  I was amazed when it came out.  Then the 1040. Then the Mega
> line, a real jump.

The Mega was a great improvement over the other STs. I even bought one.
But, the Mega is NOT a great computer. It lacks any real new features except
a detached keyboard, a Blitter chip and a TOS to control the Blitter chip.

> Then the (cheap, good quality) laser printer.

Yes, the SLM804 is a CHEAP laser printer. And that is it only marketable
feature. NOTHING has been done by Atari to support the SLM804 in over 18
months. No new Diablo 630 Emulator, no Epson Emulator, no new GDOS driver,
no new anything. And don't bring up UltraScript because that wasn't written
by Atari. US was written by Imagen, bless them!!

Just try using that SLM804 on the Gadget's By Small SPECTRE 128/GCR. The best
you can get is 144 dpi printing w/o resorting to UltraScript. so much for the
Quality and Versatility of the SLM804.

And now that HP has released the LaserJet IIP for $995.00, I just wonder
how many SLM804s will be sold. I know that I would buy the HP printer before
buying the SLM804 if I was to buy a laser printer today.

> Then
> the transputer (an AFFORDABLE parrallel prcessing unit for END-USER's).

Well, I don't know what continent you live BUT the ATW is NOT being sold
here in the US. I do understand that Canadians and English folks can buy
it. So, maybe the ATW is not VaporWare, though the US hasn't seen it yet.

> Porfolio and STacy following soon.  Now there is a Transputer workstation.

right, there is Portfolio. But, Portfolio was designed and built by DIP,
a British company. Atari is JUST amrketing it. Just like Atari markets that
expensive line of calculators! Boy, I will bet you are proud of those
calculator also, hih?

And just *WHERE* is the STacy?? Is it selling in Europe?? Is it selling
in Canada?? I *KNOW* that you can't buy the STacy in the United States.
So, as far as I am concerned the STacy is just more Tramiel VaporWare.

> It goes on and on, all the while, spurring companies like Wordperfect Corp.
> and others to support it.

Ah, Word Perfect. Did you know that WP dropped development of the ST version
of WP because of non-existant support from Atari?? Did you know that the
Atari FANASTIC CHEAP SLM804 laser printer in NOT a supported printer by
WP?? that's because of all of the bugs in the SLM804's Diablo Emulator,
which of course hasn't been updated in over 18 months!! So, WP dropped
the SLM804. And it looks like Atari has also!!

As far as other companies supporting the Atari: where are Microsoft, Lotus,
WORDSTAR, Dbase?? where are all of the IBM software companies?? If the
ST was a viable market those companies, and more, would be fighting to
grab a piece of the ST market. Nope, none of them are marketing ANY ST
software. That speaks volumes for the US ST market!!

> Atari has had no easy task over the last three
> to five years, I think they have done pretty well.  It is time we get over
> the stigma of Atari being a 'neophyte' company.  They seem to be holding their
> own, progressing.  Doesn't every company have it's own white elephants?
> Don't you know anyone who owns an Apple Lisa?........

No, but I know of the Mac SE, the Mac SE/30, the Mac II, the Mac IIx, the
Mac IIcx, the Mac IIci, etc. and then all of the Compaqs, and IBM pcs. Etc.
all of which are first class computers.

> Regards,

> Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
> 2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
  ^^^^^^^^
> The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
> London, Ontario
> Canada

Oh, that explains it!! An experienced computer engineer with YEARS of
real world experience!! And andrew lives in Canada, so he gets new Atari
stuff before us lower Americans!!

Well, I am sorry to continue flaming Atari BUT messages like the above
from folks just get my goat!! I like my STs better than any other, but
I refuse to follow the Atari party line any longer. I will keep my ST
for years, but will NEVER buy another Atari product!!

**************** GOOD NEWS SECTION ***************************
As part of my continuing efforts, I would like to talk about the
the game OIDS. I don't always just respond to USENET messages, I
sometimes play games. And OIDS is an old game that I still find
addicting!! You fly a small spaceship blasting enemies on the
ground and in space. Some enemies fly at you and fire at you.
Some enemies are stationary. You must resuce little men from
jails by blasting the jails but not them!! You get an extra spaceship
for each 8 men that you rescue. Your spaceship is very mobile, and
the play is fast and furious!! And you can design your own OIDS galaxies
with the builtin editor. All in all a great little game. I like it!

richard covert

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Jouni Alkio) (10/25/89)

In article <466bd5b7.14a1f@force.UUCP>, covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

> So, just *WHAT* has ATARI released in the last 3 years??
> First, they came out with the Mega ST line. The Megas could have been a great
> chance for Atari to increase color graphics and/or sound (ala the VaporWare
> 1040STE). the Mega could have been a chance for Atari to provide a wide open
> computer with plenty of open card slots. The Mega could have been a chance for Atari
> to fix some hardware problems (like why didn't Atari add a DMA port buffer so that
> you can drive 2 external harddrives AND the SLM804 laser printer?). The Mega
> could have been expandable from 2 megabytes to 4 megabytes. The BLitter chip could
> have had ALL of the features that were originally promised 3 years ago. Needless
> to say, none of these things were done, and the Mega was promised to be a
> "Business" computer, so they should have been done. Cost would be a minor
> consideration when buying a Top Of The Line computer.

I think that the Mega ST's are the worst ataris in price/performace this
far. BUT, I have understood that Atari isn't going to make any totally
non-affordable business stuff. "Power without the Price". I'm judging a
computer's value as a private user. (You can represent the business
world, of course.)

And why hasn't Apple made any Top Of The Line (and Top Expensive) super-
computers for the bosses' desks?

> As far as other companies supporting the Atari: where are Microsoft, Lotus,
> WORDSTAR, Dbase?? where are all of the IBM software companies?? If the
> ST was a viable market those companies, and more, would be fighting to
> grab a piece of the ST market. Nope, none of them are marketing ANY ST
> software. That speaks volumes for the US ST market!!

I cuold as well name several companies supporting ONLY the ST! They
don't make any programs for IBM:s!

>> Regards,

>> Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
>> 2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
>   ^^^^^^^^
>> The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
>> London, Ontario
>> Canada
>
> Oh, that explains it!! An experienced computer engineer with YEARS of
> real world experience!! And andrew lives in Canada, so he gets new Atari
> stuff before us lower Americans!!

What do you mean by that real world experience? Can you really know
everything about a person's experience just seeing how long he has studied?
And this is a word-wide system, after all.

						Jouni Alkio

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (10/25/89)

From article <466bd5b7.14a1f@force.UUCP>, by covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert):

> Yes, the SLM804 is a CHEAP laser printer. And that is it only marketable
> feature. NOTHING has been done by Atari to support the SLM804 in over 18
> months. No new Diablo 630 Emulator, no Epson Emulator, no new GDOS driver,
> no new anything. And don't bring up UltraScript because that wasn't written
> by Atari. US was written by Imagen, bless them!!

I agree that Atari should have done more to support the SLM804.  We
still can't get the Diablo emulator to install the 'bold italic'
typestyle for the main ATTP10LS font.  It's not for want of trying,
but maybe it's for want of documentation.  There again, maybe not.  We
installed the WordPerfect printer driver for that font (see below) and
configured the Diablo emulator just like the WP docs told us to, and
we still can't get bold italics.  There is now an Epson emulator
available in the UK (marketed by Atari UK who of course sat on it for
months then released it with an obsolete First Word Plus printer
driver with comments in German!), and it's not bad, though far from
perfect.  I don't have time to create a proper condensed font for it,
for instance, and the default font set doesn't contain one.  Still,
I'm sure some kind soul in PD-land will put together a good font set
soon.

> Ah, Word Perfect. Did you know that WP dropped development of the ST version
> of WP because of non-existant support from Atari?? Did you know that the
> Atari FANASTIC CHEAP SLM804 laser printer in NOT a supported printer by
> WP?? that's because of all of the bugs in the SLM804's Diablo Emulator,
> which of course hasn't been updated in over 18 months!! So, WP dropped
> the SLM804. And it looks like Atari has also!!

Hold on Richard - that's not quite correct.  A month ago I might have
agreed with most of what you said, but we just received (had to hassle
for it, mind) the August 1989 version of WordPerfect ST, and it has
TWO drivers for the SLM804/Diablo and one for the SLM804/Epson
emulator (called by its original German name, Laserbrain, in the WP
printer definition file).  The new readme file also states that WP
Corp are continuing to work on WP ST, and that users should send in
requests for new features.  Don't get too excited - I believe there's
only one programmer assigned to the ST (his name is James Marshburn,
according to Larry Rymal, who writes on this net and probably has more
details) and I don't expect to see WordPerfect v5 for the ST.
However, WP ST is not dead yet.

Apologies if I've been talking about some things that are not
available in all places where STs are sold.  International software
distribution is one of the great mysteries of life.

Despite the fact that I've said some rude things about Atari UK
recently, I still like using the ST.  It's just a shame that it's
never really lived up to its potential - development has been just too
little, too late.

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/25/89)

In article <466bd5b7.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>And now that HP has released the LaserJet IIP for $995.00, I just wonder
>how many SLM804s will be sold. I know that I would buy the HP printer before
>buying the SLM804 if I was to buy a laser printer today.

Uh, just a small nit.  I believe the list-price on the LJ IIP is $1495, though
I don't doubt the "street price" could approach your figure.

--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com (10/26/89)

Richard. Sorry to use net bandwidth for this, but I'm certain there
are others that agree with me...

Sell your ST. Please. You clearly didn't know what you were buying
when you bought it, and you clearly are displeased. Go buy a Macintosh
or a PCclone. You will be happier, and I know the net will be happier.

Or just stop complaining about every little problem you run into.

Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on Usenet
                 "Hello, I know that you've been feeling tired.
                  I bring you love and deeper understanding."

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/26/89)

In article <467036de.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
> In article <466bd5b7.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
> >And now that HP has released the LaserJet IIP for $995.00, I just wonder
> >how many SLM804s will be sold. I know that I would buy the HP printer before
> >buying the SLM804 if I was to buy a laser printer today.
>
> Uh, just a small nit.  I believe the list-price on the LJ IIP is $1495, though
> I don't doubt the "street price" could approach your figure.
>
> --
> >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
>    "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

Uh, just a small. I believe the list-price on the SLM804 is $1995, though
I don't doubt the "street price" could approach your figure.

he he

Anyway, I paid $995 for my SLM804 when it was introduced in early 1988.
My dealer got a large order of them in and couldn't sell them at the
list price of $1995, so he had a close out at $995. MOst other dealers
were selling SLM804s for about $1495 in 1988.

I don't know what the "street price" of a SLM804 is now, but my dealer
is selling them (or trying to anyway) bundled with the base package
of UltraScript for $1495. He will deal down to around $1300 I am told.

and I have seen ads in newspapers here in Phoenix for the HP LJ IIP
for $995. unbelievable!

Rich Covert