[comp.sys.atari.st] official tos 1.4 release

steveg@com.com (stephen harold goldstein) (10/03/89)

This is directed to the Atari folks who read this group.
First off, thanks so much for your "inside" information, giving us the
facts we (sometimes desperately) want/need.  I know you can't always
give out the all the info you'd like, but I for one, appreciate what
tidbits I  can get.  Now for my question:

I recently had a local dealer install TOS 1.4 into my Mega 4.
It was my understanding that the big delay in the release was waiting for
ROMs to be manufactured, but upon opening my machine (warranty already
expired), I noticed that I had EPROMs (or is there some new kind of ROM with
a little window on the chip? :-)) labeled TOS 1.4 with socket locations.
No other markings (like copyright Atari etc.).  Is this a legal set?
I.E. should I march down to my dealer and demand a legal set of ROMs or was
there a last minute decision to use EPROM to speed distribution?  How can I
tell what version of TOS 1.4 I have?  (Where do I look to see the release
date? I understand April 6, 1989 is the official version?).
Thanks for any info you can provide.  My dealer will remain nameless until I
know the facts.  If he's selling illegal copies I'd like to know (and I'm
sure Atari would too...).

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/05/89)

In article <steveg.89oct3160123@narnia.com.com>, steveg@com.com (stephen harold goldstein) writes:

> I recently had a local dealer install TOS 1.4 into my Mega 4.
> Thanks for any info you can provide.  My dealer will remain nameless until I
> know the facts.  If he's selling illegal copies I'd like to know (and I'm
> sure Atari would too...).

Well, my feeling is that Atari has really dropped the ball on the release of
TOS 1.4!! There have been 'illegal' versions of TOS 1.4 floating around for
weeks now!! And the illegal copies have fixes in them for several bugs in the
offical Atari TOS 1.4 release EPROMs (or ROMs). For example, TOS 1.4 has a bug
in the Serial IO code which has been fixes by an industrious hacker way up
North!! And the hacker had to show it to Atari in order for ATari to fix it.
And Atari's fix was a patch program that you need to load in your auto
folder. So, already, before you can even buy a legit copy of TOS 1.4, you need
to start loading in patches!! Sounds a lot like TOS 1.0 and TOS 1.2 doesn't it??

And you can't BUY TOS 1.4 in FAST EPROMs to be used with Fast Tech's Turbo16
16 MHZ board. If you could get TOS 1.4 in 100 ns EPROMS, T16 could run even
faster when accessing the TOS code. But, try to buy TOS 1.4 in fast eproms. Ha!!

So, TOS 1.4 is getting spread and ATari is losing sales simply because they don't
know how to market the upgrade!!!

And you have to wonder how a company that can't even distribute an OS upgrade
can market an multi-tasking multi-windowm multi-user super fast workstation
like the TT!! Ha again!!!

I am going to keep my Mega ST4 and my 520ST but it will be snowing in Phoenix
in July before you see me buying a TT. Lack of support from Atari is why!!

I just wish that Atari would release the source code to TOS and let the hackers
support the darn thing!! It couldn't be worse then the non-support that Atari
provides now!!!

Richard (Proud Owner of a Souped Up T16ized Mega ST4!!!) Covert

krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) (10/06/89)

I'm new to the Net, and all these questions have probably been answered a
hundred times before, but.....

1) What does this new new TOS 1.4 do for me, Joe ST?  Is this an upgrade
everyone should get?  What kind of bugs does it fix?

2) If I decide to get the upgrade, what are the pros/cons in purchasing the
Roms or getting it on disk?

3) If I get it on disk, how much memory will it eat as overhead?

4) If I get it on Rom, who installs it?  Do I have to send it to Atari?

5) Where can purchase either the Roms or the disk version?

Any info is appreciated.

=									=
=	The Marvel Historian				A. Krieg	=
=									=
=		G.E. Medical Systems - CT - New Berlin, WI		=
= 	   	     USENET: krieg@jupiter.med.ge.com			=
=									=

gl8f@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (10/07/89)

In article <460c4f58.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

> Well, my feeling is that Atari has really dropped the ball on the release of
> TOS 1.4!!

Lots of feeling, no understanding. I tried to send this email, but
uunet doesn't know where "force.UUCP" is.

You suggest that Atari go ahead and produce updated TOS 1.4 ROMS. This is
probably a bad idea. Can't you just see customer service: "I have this
problem", "What version of TOS are you running?", "TOS 1.4, I just bought
it from my dealer", "Which one, new TOS 1.4 or old TOS 1.4???"

Or, a user sees TOS14PATCH.ARC on his BBS, and wonders if he's
supposed to run it or not. It's vastly easier to have all TOS ROMS
distributed for a long time be the same, and for all users to need the
same patch program. This is the only philosophy that makes sense for a
home machine. Atari isn't Sun.

On another topic, Richard flamed Atari for not providing more software
support to people trying to get the SLM804 working with Mac software.
Atari provides sufficient support that if you can make a bitmap, you
can output it to the printer. This is how the DVI program for the
SLM804 works. The problem is generating the bitmap on the Mac. You can
either generate it using Postscript (which could be licensed from
several sources), or implement Quickdraw for an arbitrary bitmap.
General Computer sells Mac laser printers that work this way.

In either case, this isn't an Atari-only problem -- it's the same
problem you'd get hooking up ANY "dumb" laser printer to a real Mac.
It's a bit silly to expect Atari to pay several programmers a bunch of
money to implement such a critter when it won't sell many STs. And
it's silly to expect David Small to do it if it would take so much
time it wouldn't be cost-effective.

Many "technical" decisions are really marketing decisions. If we want
to get Atari to do something, let's ask for something useful, not
something stupid.

Can I get down off my soapbox yet? ;-)

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                             I'm not the NRA.

charlop@blake.acs.washington.edu (Aaron Charlop) (10/09/89)

A quick question.

Where does one find the patch program for the serial port bug?

I am at home trying to do some work over the modem and I keep getting
spurious characters and commands being sent out. In fact it has made reading
the net almost immpossible. Just a few minutes ago it even unsubscribed
me from this topic.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Aaron the Alchemist
Charlop@uwachem.washington.edu

"Yes, I really am a honest-to-goodness Alchemist"	Me

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/09/89)

In article <2074@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, gl8f@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
> In article <460c4f58.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>
> > Well, my feeling is that Atari has really dropped the ball on the release of
> > TOS 1.4!!
>
> Lots of feeling, no understanding. I tried to send this email, but
> uunet doesn't know where "force.UUCP" is.

Well, I can be reached at .../gtephx!covertr. FORCE is a node on our
Apollo network. Just try gtephx!covertr.

> You suggest that Atari go ahead and produce updated TOS 1.4 ROMS. This is
> probably a bad idea. Can't you just see customer service: "I have this
> problem", "What version of TOS are you running?", "TOS 1.4, I just bought
> it from my dealer", "Which one, new TOS 1.4 or old TOS 1.4???"

Greg, the problem is one of timing. By the time Atari got the TOS 1.4 PROMs
out, and notice that they are PROMS not ROMs, bugs had already been identified
and repaired by hackers. Since, the offical TOS ROMs still haven't been released,
it is not unreasonable to hope that Atari would fix the known bugs before releasing
them. I just hate to see TOS 1.4 start off with a bunch of auto folder patches!!
And there is still no legal way to buy TOS 1.4 in 100 ns EPROMs so that the
Turbo16 can run at full speed. T16 can be setup to access the TOS memory without
wait states if the memory is quick enough. Hence the need for 100 ns EPROMs.
If Atari was selling TOS in ROMs it might be possible to buy them in 100ns
roms. who knows??

> Or, a user sees TOS14PATCH.ARC on his BBS, and wonders if he's
> supposed to run it or not. It's vastly easier to have all TOS ROMS
> distributed for a long time be the same, and for all users to need the
> same patch program. This is the only philosophy that makes sense for a
> home machine. Atari isn't Sun.

Greg, the user already needs an auto folder patch for the TOS 1.4 that is being
sold by Atari. How many more patches will be needed over the next six months??

> On another topic, Richard flamed Atari for not providing more software
> support to people trying to get the SLM804 working with Mac software.
> it's silly to expect David Small to do it if it would take so much
> time it wouldn't be cost-effective.
>
> Can I get down off my soapbox yet? ;-)
>

> ------
> Greg Lindahl
> gl8f@virginia.edu                                             I'm not the NRA.

And finally, Greg, I have stopped asking Dave Small for a 300 dpi QuickDraw
driver for the SLM804. As you have just said it appears to be too hard for
Dave Small, or anyone else, to develop. So, whose fault is it?? Atari?? Apple??
GBS?? All I know is that when I bought my Spectre 128 from Dave Small in Sept
1988, Dave said that he would provide a 300 dpi driver for the SLM804 laser
printer. And now over a year later it has proven to be an impossible task.
The best that Dave can do is 144 dpi, which is basically just draft printing
on a 300 dpi laser printer. so, while I am not satisified with the Spectre
printer driver for the SLM804, at least I know that Dave gave it his best
shot!! So, I am NOT flaming GBS. I am just waiting for GBS to release the
Spectre version 2.0 software so that I can use my SLM804 laser printer in
144 dpi mode.

Richard (gtephx!covertr) Covert

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (10/10/89)

What makes this all even more interesting is that rumors were flying
at the WAACE AtariFest that TOS 1.4 will be showing up on 2 chip ROM
(not EPROM) sets in the next few weeks (which should take care of the
'weak Bus' problems some Mega owners have been having - but even more
interesting is the rumored release of TOS 1.6!  Which Mr Hartmann didn't
refute (although in all fairness he also didn't back this rumor...)

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (10/12/89)

in article <22918@cup.portal.com>, Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) says:

> What makes this all even more interesting is that rumors were flying
> at the WAACE AtariFest that TOS 1.4 will be showing up on 2 chip ROM
> (not EPROM) sets in the next few weeks (which should take care of the
> 'weak Bus' problems some Mega owners have been having - but even more
> interesting is the rumored release of TOS 1.6!  Which Mr Hartmann didn't
> refute (although in all fairness he also didn't back this rumor...)
>
> Peter Szymonik
> Xorg@cup.portal.com

TOS 1.6 is no rumor. It does exist. However, it is the TOS that is going
into the STE machines. No upgrade will be offered from TOS 1.4 to 1.6. The
only differences in TOS 1.4 and TOS 1.6 are the support of the enhanced
graphics and sound that are available in the STE machine.

-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corporation, Technical Support

gl8f@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (10/12/89)

In article <46207fa0.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

>Greg, the problem is one of timing. By the time Atari got the TOS 1.4 PROMs
>out, and notice that they are PROMS not ROMs, bugs had already been identified
>and repaired by hackers. Since, the offical TOS ROMs still haven't been released,
>it is not unreasonable to hope that Atari would fix the known bugs before releasing
>them.

What if they had already had the ROMs in production, and it was too
late to change them? Did you ever ASK if this were so, or did you just
charge out and say Atari was a bunch of idiots? No wonder they don't
answer your postings.

>> Or, a user sees TOS14PATCH.ARC on his BBS, and wonders if he's
>> supposed to run it or not. It's vastly easier to have all TOS ROMS
>> distributed for a long time be the same, and for all users to need the
>> same patch program. This is the only philosophy that makes sense for a
>> home machine. Atari isn't Sun.
>
>Greg, the user already needs an auto folder patch for the TOS 1.4 that is being
>sold by Atari. How many more patches will be needed over the next six months??

Well, ALL tos 1.4 users use the same patch. I assume that Atari, being
fairly smart people, will arrange it so that if future patches are
needed, it will still be one file. This is much simpler ("Get this one
latest patch file") then worrying if you have TOS 1.4a or 1.4b or 1.4c
and having to get the right patch for each version.

All in all, it's much easier to support one rom for which you're
supposed to have one patch file, than 14 different versions and 14
different patch files.

------

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/12/89)

In article <22918@cup.portal.com>, Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
> interesting is the rumored release of TOS 1.6!  Which Mr Hartmann didn't
> refute (although in all fairness he also didn't back this rumor...)
>
> Peter Szymonik
> Xorg@cup.portal.com

Peter,
TOS 1.6 is the version of TOS for the mythical 1040STe.
That much has already been said by Atari.

Interesting enough, TOS 1.6 is also supposed to be the version
going into the TT/P.

Richard Covert

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/14/89)

In article <2097@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, gl8f@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
> In article <46207fa0.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>
> Well, ALL tos 1.4 users use the same patch. I assume that Atari, being
> fairly smart people, will arrange it so that if future patches are
> needed, it will still be one file. This is much simpler ("Get this one
> latest patch file") then worrying if you have TOS 1.4a or 1.4b or 1.4c
> and having to get the right patch for each version.
>
> All in all, it's much easier to support one rom for which you're
> supposed to have one patch file, than 14 different versions and 14
> different patch files.
>
> Greg Lindahl

The problem Greg is that you just plain and simply can't count on
Atari for support!! If Atari was going to support the ST, why didn't Atari
license GPLUS from Charles Johnson and include it in TOS 1.4??

Why didn't Atari make any improvments in GDOS for TOS 1.4?? I have over
3 megs of GDOS fonts for my SLM804 and if it wasn't for Charles Johnson's
GPLUS I wouldn't use any of them!! The GDOS support in TOS, even TOS 1.4,
is almost zero compared to what GPLUS offers. And GPLUS has been out for
a year now, so Atari could have licensed it from Charles Johnson.

And Atari didn't even want to admit that there was a bug in the serial
port code in TOS 1.4 until the Canadian hacker showed Atari the actual
bug in the code. Pretty responsive of Atari, huh?? And this is for an OS
that has been under development for 2 years!! After 2 years, you would think that
Atari would have it right!!!

Boy, a good outline font system, aka the macintosh system, would really be
great for the ST!! But asking Atari for anything like that is like jumping
to the moon, you'll never get there!!

I like the third party support starting to appear for the ST. My favorite
product is the Turbo16 product from FAST TECHNOLOGY. T16 really speeds up
my Mega ST!! It is great!!!
So, lets support the good 3rd party enhancments to the ST and hope that
things will get better IN SPITE OF ATARI!!

Rich (Proud owner of a souped up T16ed Mega ST4!!) Covert

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (10/15/89)

Thanks for the TOS 1.6 info John!  I was beginning to worry about
a shaft - go through hell to have TOS 1.4 installed and then 1.6
comes out, would not have been fun!  i now have TOS 1.4 and Turbo 1.6
and the speed increase is outstanding1

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (10/17/89)

In article <4634aec9.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>The problem Greg is that you just plain and simply can't count on
>Atari for support!! If Atari was going to support the ST, why didn't Atari
>license GPLUS from Charles Johnson and include it in TOS 1.4??

You still don't get it, do you?  Atari is not in the third-party software
business.  If a third-party product exists, and you like it better, then buy
it, use it, and support the third-party developers!  Does it matter if you buy
GDOS from Atari or buy it from Codehead?  You'll pay for it one way or
another!  "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".  Also, Ken B. from
Atari has repeatedly stated that there isn't room in the ROMs for all of these
enhancements!  If you like NeoDesk, then buy NeoDesk!  If you like GPLUS, then
buy GPLUS!  Just don't expect Atari to buy your software for you and code it
into the ROMS!

>And Atari didn't even want to admit that there was a bug in the serial
>port code in TOS 1.4 until the Canadian hacker showed Atari the actual
>bug in the code. Pretty responsive of Atari, huh?? And this is for an OS
>that has been under development for 2 years!! After 2 years, you would think
>that Atari would have it right!!!

Oh my, a bug in RTS/CTS handling!  Tsk, tsk.  Forget about the zillions of
bugs they fixed, forget about the months of development, and focus on one
obscure bug.  The reason it wasn't fixed, I'm sure, is that none of the
developers who beta-tested even *use* RTS/CTS flow control!

Why don't you pay up and become a developer?  Try working to make the Atari
better instead of complaining about how bad it is?!?

Go buy an Amiga or something and quit complaining!

>Boy, a good outline font system, aka the macintosh system, would really be
>great for the ST!! But asking Atari for anything like that is like jumping
>to the moon, you'll never get there!!

Better yet, go buy a Macintosh, if they're so great!  I think you'll find that
Apple can afford the huge R&D costs for new fonts with all the money they make
off of the Mac!  (Warning: there is probably a generalization there
somewhere :-)

Yes, an outline font would be nice.  So make one!

>I like the third party support starting to appear for the ST. My favorite
>product is the Turbo16 product from FAST TECHNOLOGY. T16 really speeds up
>my Mega ST!! It is great!!!

I agree.  Hurray for the third-party support!  Think about it--how much of
what's really useful on the IBM-PC is produced *by* IBM?  Any of it?

>So, lets support the good 3rd party enhancments to the ST and hope that
>things will get better IN SPITE OF ATARI!!

Wrong.  If it wasn't for Atari, we wouldn't have this wonderful machine that
truley delivers "power without the price"!  When the ST first came out, an
8MHz 68000 was *power*!!!  Even today, it is a respectable machine.  Ever
priced a 25MHz 68030 machine?  Come up with a figure a home hobbyist could
afford?  I didn't think so.

>Rich (Proud owner of a souped up T16ed Mega ST4!!) Covert

You don't sound very proud to me.  I'm not trying to single you out
specifically, but I sure get tired of people who think that Atari should do
everthing for them.  I'm glad there are developers who *do* something to
improve the machine, instead of just whine and complain.
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu ( Colin J. Strasser.) (10/17/89)

In article <1266@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:

>Oh my, a bug in RTS/CTS handling!  Tsk, tsk.  Forget about the zillions of
>bugs they fixed, forget about the months of development, and focus on one
>obscure bug.  The reason it wasn't fixed, I'm sure, is that none of the
>developers who beta-tested even *use* RTS/CTS flow control!

Folks, what we have here is the bane of the consumer -- the "brand loyalist."
By that I mean those of us who've used Ataris and (yes) Commodores since long
before the IBM PC was a twinkle in Big Blue's eye.  I'll bet that he (like a
lot of us) stuck by his small, innovative company from Atari 400/800 through
1040ST, with all the lean years in between.

Maybe some of you remember (or HAVE) the Commodore 64 and 1541 disk drive.
For years Commodore denied that its DOS had any bugs despite frequent testi-
mony about its file overwrite (save-with-replace, they called it) doing all
kinds of strange things from swapping filenames to triggering nuclear melt-
downs.  Well, somebody finally PROVED that the bug existed, Commodore was
forced to at least acknowledge it (and recognize that others might exist) and
the users of Commodore computers were safer and happier.

My point here is that a bug -- any bug -- is an IMPORTANT THING.  Allowing a
company to sell buggy software is tantamount to letting it screw you in any
other way.  Don't let Atari off the hook on this one so easily.  You might
regret it later, and so might they (big business doesn't deal with companies
that turn a blind eye toward product shortcomings -- denying a bug is not the
way to generate confidence in a small, undermarketed company like Atari).

>Why don't you pay up and become a developer?  Try working to make the Atari
>better instead of complaining about how bad it is?!?

It's ATARI's job to make its products work correctly, not its users'.

>Go buy an Amiga or something and quit complaining!

"My Atari -- love it or leave it," eh?  Well then next time you're screwed you
will know who to blame: yourself.  (BTW, all my comments apply equally to
Commodore -- and any other company, for that matter.)

>Wrong.  If it wasn't for Atari, we wouldn't have this wonderful machine that
>truley delivers "power without the price"!  When the ST first came out, an
>8MHz 68000 was *power*!!!  Even today, it is a respectable machine.  Ever
>priced a 25MHz 68030 machine?  Come up with a figure a home hobbyist could
>afford?  I didn't think so.

Just a note: anybody remember the original price of an Atari 800 with 16K?  I
seem to remember a figure around $1000 or so.

>You don't sound very proud to me.

He doesn't have to be proud of Atari (the company) to be proud of Atari (the
machine).

>...I sure get tired of people who think that Atari should do
>everthing for them.  I'm glad there are developers who *do* something to
>improve the machine, instead of just whine and complain.

When buying a computer, just as for any other high-ticket item, you're buying
the company behind it.  If service is nonexistent, if support is minimal, if
the company is unresponsive, then the computer, no matter how technically ad-
vanced, will never gain acceptance -- especially companies like Atari and
Commodore who already have negative images.

>--
>Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul
>
>    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

					-Colin
					strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Colin Strasser				University of Pennsylvania
strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu		Moore School of Electrical Engineering
CI$: 72447,1650				Class of '90 -- Penn's 250th year!

There is but one law: "Don't get caught."

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (10/18/89)

In article <15579@netnews.upenn.edu> strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP ( Colin J. Strasser.) writes:

>Folks, what we have here is the bane of the consumer -- the "brand loyalist."

Um, finger pointing aside, the RTS/CTS bug is fixed and a patch is
available.  Although the fact that the bug got through beta test is
not good, the fact that an official patch is available is good.

------

thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) (10/18/89)

strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu ( Colin J. Strasser.) writes:
>In article <1266@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>>Oh my, a bug in RTS/CTS handling!  Tsk, tsk.  Forget about the zillions of
>Folks, what we have here is the bane of the consumer -- the "brand loyalist."

Not fair.  I understand Paul - he's tired of someone who never stops
whining, just like I am.  Oh, Richard Covert's knock on the RTS/CTS bug
is not too negative, but he *did* make the comment that Atari should
have gone back and re-done the PROMs.  To do so would be truly stupid.

My point (and as I read it, Paul's point) is that for a small bug like
RTS/CTS, you don't stop delivery and start a new distribution.  Doing
that would do a great disservice to the people who want and need the
majority of the fixes you already have.  It is truly unfortunate that
the bug wasn't found by alpha testing at Atari, but them's the breaks.
It's maybe not good at all that they didn't acknowledge the bug right
away.  But you don't stop everything when you've almost got stuff that
people have been waiting for for two years or more ready to come out
of a three month pipeline.  You have to leave some stuff for the next
release sometimes.

I want those ROMs, and I can work around the RTS/CTS stuff, I suspect.
What I don't wish to do is wait three more months for a different set
of ROMs that fixes one more bug, because the odds are 99.5% that more
bugs will be found in the interim, and we'll be right back again.  If
more bugs are found in the next few months, I *would* like to hear at
that time that another release is planned.

Rob T
--
Rob Thurlow - Expatriate Canadian                      thurlow@convex.com
"From the heart of 'The Friendship State'"

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Oh for gosh sakes.) (10/18/89)

In article <1266@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>Just don't expect Atari to buy your software for you and code it
>into the ROMS!

   I don't think we're asking Atari to buy third-party software and
burn it--we are asking them for a real _WORKING_ environment.  i.e. a
move routine would have been nice, and has now been implemented.  But why
wasn't it in the first place?  RTS/CTS bug?  Some people might need that.
Why release comm warez that are buggy?

>Oh my, a bug in RTS/CTS handling!  Tsk, tsk.  Forget about the zillions of
>bugs they fixed, forget about the months of development, and focus on one
>obscure bug.  The reason it wasn't fixed, I'm sure, is that none of the
>developers who beta-tested even *use* RTS/CTS flow control!

   Doesn't really matter, does it?  ATARI sells it, Atari better make sure
that it works.  Something as significant as this should be caught in
alpha.  As for the months of development, that goes into any software package
meant for general consumption.

>Why don't you pay up and become a developer?  Try working to make the Atari
>better instead of complaining about how bad it is?!?

   Yeah, I'm sure everyone that finds a bug is a competent enough programmer
to develop their own OS patches.  Get real.

>Go buy an Amiga or something and quit complaining!

   Ugh.  I'd sooner eat camel spit.

>>Boy, a good outline font system, aka the macintosh system, would really be
>>great for the ST!! But asking Atari for anything like that is like jumping
>>to the moon, you'll never get there!!
>Better yet, go buy a Macintosh, if they're so great!  I think you'll find that
>Apple can afford the huge R&D costs for new fonts with all the money they make
>off of the Mac!  (Warning: there is probably a generalization there
>somewhere :-)

   How hard would it have been?  They made a choice (I think the wrong one)
and now we have to make up for it with 3rd party.  Besides, I hardly think
that Apple spent the huge quantities of money for "font development" that
you allude to.  Most fonts are PD anyway.

>Yes, an outline font would be nice.  So make one!

   If it would be so nice, why don't you make one?

>I agree.  Hurray for the third-party support!  Think about it--how much of
>what's really useful on the IBM-PC is produced *by* IBM?  Any of it?

   Fortunately no.  Whew 8-)

>Wrong.  If it wasn't for Atari, we wouldn't have this wonderful machine that
>truley delivers "power without the price"!  When the ST first came out, an
>8MHz 68000 was *power*!!!  Even today, it is a respectable machine.  Ever

   Well, I don't know about that.  I'd almost be certain that someone would
have come up with a machine with similar capabilities.  IBM hasn't _totally_
destroyed people's creativity yet.

>ever priced a 25MHz 68030 machine?  Come up with a figure a home hobbyist could
>afford?  I didn't think so.

   This is quite irrelevant, as the ST isn't a 68030 machine, nor do they
have one shipping yet.  What I would suggest is a comparative study of
68000 machine, 80286 machines, and NS32016 machines.  I think you'd find
there are some very interesting machines in these classes that would lay
waste to the Atari at around the same price.  _And_ are expandable.

>>Rich (Proud owner of a souped up T16ed Mega ST4!!) Covert
>You don't sound very proud to me.  I'm not trying to single you out

   Being proud does not mean unlimited support.  Indeed no, it means being
tough on whatever it is, so you can make it even _better_.

--
David L. Newton       |      dnewton@carroll1.UUCP     | The Raging Apostle--
(414) 524-7343 (work) |     dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu    | for the future--

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (10/20/89)

in article <4634aec9.14a1f@force.UUCP>, covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) says:

> The problem Greg is that you just plain and simply can't count on
> Atari for support!! If Atari was going to support the ST, why didn't Atari
> license GPLUS from Charles Johnson and include it in TOS 1.4??
>
> Why didn't Atari make any improvments in GDOS for TOS 1.4?? I have over
> 3 megs of GDOS fonts for my SLM804 and if it wasn't for Charles Johnson's
> GPLUS I wouldn't use any of them!! The GDOS support in TOS, even TOS 1.4,
> is almost zero compared to what GPLUS offers. And GPLUS has been out for
> a year now, so Atari could have licensed it from Charles Johnson.
>
> And Atari didn't even want to admit that there was a bug in the serial
> port code in TOS 1.4 until the Canadian hacker showed Atari the actual
> bug in the code. Pretty responsive of Atari, huh?? And this is for an OS
> that has been under development for 2 years!! After 2 years, you would think that
> Atari would have it right!!!
>
> Boy, a good outline font system, aka the macintosh system, would really be
> great for the ST!! But asking Atari for anything like that is like jumping
> to the moon, you'll never get there!!
>
> I like the third party support starting to appear for the ST. My favorite
> product is the Turbo16 product from FAST TECHNOLOGY. T16 really speeds up
> my Mega ST!! It is great!!!
> So, lets support the good 3rd party enhancments to the ST and hope that
> things will get better IN SPITE OF ATARI!!
>
> Rich (Proud owner of a souped up T16ed Mega ST4!!) Covert

First, TOS 1.4 is a product. GDOS is a product. They are COMPLETELY
independent of each other.

As for the serial port, We found the problem and we fixed it via the
TOS 1.4 patch. Unfortunately, it was not found until after the release of
the ROMs. To verify this, we did not receive a single SPR on this problem
from the developers that had the Beta version of TOS 1.4 or any reports
from anyone until AFTER the ROMs had been finalized.

But, the end result is that the problem was reported, we looked into it,
found there was a problem, fixed it, and released a patch program via the
Networks and Dealer Network. What more do you want from us??

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (10/20/89)

In article <2172@convex.UUCP>, thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) writes:
> I want those ROMs, and I can work around the RTS/CTS stuff, I suspect.
> What I don't wish to do is wait three more months for a different set
> of ROMs that fixes one more bug, because the odds are 99.5% that more
> bugs will be found in the interim, and we'll be right back again.  If
> more bugs are found in the next few months, I *would* like to hear at
> that time that another release is planned.
>
> Rob T

Atari could do something to make a lot of us happy, and get a huge marketing
advantage with people who love their computers (blush) by announcing right
now that at some specific date in the moderate future the specifications for
TOS 1.8 will be frozen.  All bugs known to Atari as of that date will be
addressed; all new features will have been chosen by then.  After that, it's
up to the programmers.  Sure, people will start getting impatient about 6
months after the drop-dead date, but that's about when the internal alpha
testing should be starting, and that's a nice thing to be able to announce.
Who knows, by having a definite freeze date, the development might even be
helped.
                              Steve J.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (10/21/89)

In article <1734@atari.UUCP>, towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:

> As for the serial port, We found the problem and we fixed it via the
> TOS 1.4 patch. Unfortunately, it was not found until after the release of
> the ROMs. To verify this, we did not receive a single SPR on this problem
> from the developers that had the Beta version of TOS 1.4 or any reports
> from anyone until AFTER the ROMs had been finalized.
>
> But, the end result is that the problem was reported, we looked into it,
> found there was a problem, fixed it, and released a patch program via the
> Networks and Dealer Network. What more do you want from us??

At the risk of seeming picky, I'd like a few things from a company whose
president announced the release of new operating system ROMs in front of
developers and press at Spring COMDEX.  I'd like my dealer (Software Plus,
a local Chicago-area chain) to get decent supplies of ROMs.  I'd like those
ROMs to be honest-to-pete mask programmed ROMs by now, not PROMs or (heaven
help us) EPROMs.  I'd like to be able to buy a Mega with the new operating
system installed as original equipment.  That's a fair fraction of what I
want from Atari.
    Is there any special reason why the TOS 1.4 rollout is going so
fitfully?  Suggestions that it's going smoothly will be cheerfully laughed
at.  Suggestions that ROMs always have startup problems this bad will be
greeted with incredulity.
                                       Steve J.

nemeth@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Gabe Nemeth) (10/23/89)

What I find annoying is that ROMs that fix bugs in the operating system
that was promised years ago is costing me $100.  Surely Atari could
afford to foster some loyalty by offering a "nominal" trade in price
for ROMs.  The mac os is essentially free (you can buy an official disk
for $45) and I wonder how the copywrite would affect TOS.  Are updates
to TOS separately copywrited?  If I own a copy of TOS 1.0, am I legally
entitled to make an updated copy to 1.4?
/leonard

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (10/23/89)

In article <1734@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>But, the end result is that the problem was reported, we looked into it,
>found there was a problem, fixed it, and released a patch program via the
>Networks and Dealer Network. What more do you want from us??

How about posting the patch to comp.binaries.atari.st?

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) (10/25/89)

In article <15579@netnews.upenn.edu> strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP ( Colin J. Strasser.) writes:
>In article <1266@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>
>>Why don't you pay up and become a developer?  Try working to make the Atari
>>better instead of complaining about how bad it is?!?
>
>It's ATARI's job to make its products work correctly, not its users'.

Why should a USER PAY for the privilege of fixing bugs that Atari Employees
are being paid to do, and evidently can't do?
If I was fixing Atari's bugs, I would expect to be paid for it!

Well, that's my two cents worth........

--
 S. Alan Ezust aka "Depeche Modem"       depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca
 McGill University Computer Science      Disclaimer: I claim everything!

stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct22.195156.14155@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> nemeth@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Gabe Nemeth) writes:
>What I find annoying is that ROMs that fix bugs in the operating system
>that was promised years ago is costing me $100.  Surely Atari could
>afford to foster some loyalty by offering a "nominal" trade in price
>for ROMs.

C'mon folks, give Atari a break.  They're trying to provide support
for their product and all they get are complaints.  Trade-in's on ROMs
don't make sense, they don't have any intrinsic value so what's the
point of trading them in?  It's not like a used car where the
manufacturer could resell it.  Mask programmed ROMs cannot be reused,
so they have no value.  Why should Atari take them on trade in?

Most manufacturers of industrial computers charge some sort of annual
software maintainence fee, for this fee you may or may not get your
bugs fixed, depending on how severe they are.  Atari is simply doing
the same thing, only they are doing it on a "pay as you go" basis.  I
realize that Atari is selling into the consumer market and customer
expectations are different, but I don't think their upgrade policies
are any different than the other home computer vendors.

>  The mac os is essentially free (you can buy an official disk
>for $45) and I wonder how the copywrite would affect TOS.

$45 doesn't seem much like free to me.  I think you are really
alluding to the fact that Mac os releases are sold on disks and are
thus easier to illegaly pirate.  (I don't know what Apple's view of
copying is, but I suspect they don't approve.)  You must also keep in
mind the cost of the distribution media, Apple ships their OS upgrades
on 3.5 in. floppies which cost significantly less than the six ROMs
that Atari is using.  Also, the ROM set is going for $90 in my area,
so it sounds like your dealer is overcharging, unless that $100
includes installation, in which case it's a good deal.

> Are updates
>to TOS separately copywrited?  If I own a copy of TOS 1.0, am I legally
>entitled to make an updated copy to 1.4?

I'm not a copyright expert, but I don't believe copyright law entitles
me to an update.  When is the last time you heard of anyone getting a
new copy of a book when the revised edition comes out?  TOS 1.4 is not
the same as TOS 1.0, you are not making a copy of TOS 1.0 when you
copy a TOS 1.4 ROM, thus the "backup copy" clause of copyright law
does not apply.  Making a copy of a TOS 1.4 ROM that you do not own
for your personal use is a violation of copyright law.

DISCLAIMERS:

These opinions are my own and have nothing to do with Tektronix.

I do not represent Atari, I am only an St owner.  I also own an IBM
PC.  I sometimes use an Apple Macintosh at work.  I don't LOVE any of
those machines, they all suck, one way or another.

							stank

US Mail: Stan Kalinowski, Tektronix, Inc., Interactive Technologies Division
         PO Box 1000, MS 61-028, Wilsonville OR 97070   Phone:(503)-685-2458
e-mail:  {ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!stank
    or   stank@orca.WV.TEK.COM

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (10/27/89)

In article <5115@orca.WV.TEK.COM> stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) writes:
>In article <1989Oct22.195156.14155@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> nemeth@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Gabe Nemeth) writes:
>>What I find annoying is that ROMs that fix bugs in the operating system
>>that was promised years ago is costing me $100.  Surely Atari could
>>afford to foster some loyalty by offering a "nominal" trade in price
>>for ROMs.

>>  The mac os is essentially free (you can buy an official disk
>>for $45) and I wonder how the copywrite would affect TOS.

>$45 doesn't seem much like free to me.  I think you are really
>alluding to the fact that Mac os releases are sold on disks and are
>thus easier to illegaly pirate.  (I don't know what Apple's view of
>copying is, but I suspect they don't approve.)  You must also keep in
>mind the cost of the distribution media, Apple ships their OS upgrades
>on 3.5 in. floppies which cost significantly less than the six ROMs
>that Atari is using.  Also, the ROM set is going for $90 in my area,
>so it sounds like your dealer is overcharging, unless that $100
>includes installation, in which case it's a good deal.

Lets get a few facts straight. Every Apple system software update
cost $0. Thats right -- it's free. Now if you want the docs and
would like to get brandy new disks instead of copies over your
old disks, you can pay $45. I think $100 (list price, you dealer
can charge what he wants, this is America after all) for a set of
ROMS WITH DOCUMENTATION OF NEW FEATURES would be a good deal. But
what does my $100 get me. Roms? No, EPROMS (an rather cheap, slow
ones at that). Documentation. No, just a Xerox of the sheet the
developers got, if my dealer feels like making me a copy. C'mon
Atari, surely you can be just one little bit professional. Can't
you? (Maybe not). After all, the upgrade was promised, but like
the blitter support for the 520 and 1040, I guess all Atari is
good at is hot air.

brian (like the machine, but the company leaves alot to be desired)
oplinger@crd.ge.com