[comp.sys.atari.st] Does a graphic interface slow a machine?

MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (10/24/89)

Whoa!  I won't embarass anyone by naming names, but someone in this
newsgroup recently suggested that a Mac takes a long time to
recalculate a spread-sheet because the 8mhz 68000 chip is already busy
with the interface.  Wrong.

When a Mac is recalculating a spreadsheet, or doing any other computational
chore, the processor is dedicated only to the programmer's code and
any interrupts (such as mouse movement).  It is not worrying about
drawing windows or handling menus until the user calls a system function.
If the spreadsheet is slow, it's bad coding.  The interface has little
to do with it.

     David Megginson, Centre for Medieval Studies, Toronto

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'C is cool, but what about LOGO?' Newton) (10/27/89)

In article <89Oct24.111444edt.57651@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:
>Whoa!  I won't embarass anyone by naming names, but someone in this
>newsgroup recently suggested that a Mac takes a long time to

   The person you are attemptinbg to reference to was probably me.  I did not
say it couldn't re-calc fast because of the interface.  I said it can't recalc
anyhting fast period.  _Let alone_ handle the interface.

--
David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--
(414) 524-7343 (work) |    dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu     | for the future--