[comp.sys.atari.st] Sovjetskie ST

MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (10/19/89)

Atari did try to market to the USSR, from what I've heard.  The problem
was that GDOS was not really ready yet, and all of the cyrillic stuff
was a weak hack.  I understand that a Danish/British computer called
Thor, which does work well with cyrillic, has taken a lot of the USSR
market.

   David Megginson MEGGIN@VM.epas.utoronto.ca

peterii@nadia.UUCP (Peter Bechtold) (10/27/89)

In article <89Oct19.093236edt.57352@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:
>Atari did try to market to the USSR, from what I've heard.  The problem
>was that GDOS was not really ready yet, and all of the cyrillic stuff
>was a weak hack.

I can't imagine that the cyrillic stuff was a problem. I *NEVER* saw any
computer in the USSR producing *ANY* cyrillic signs neither on the screen
nor on the printer ...

>(...)
>  I understand that a Danish/British computer called
>Thor, which does work well with cyrillic, has taken a lot of the USSR
>market.
There is one great problem in the USSR:
They don't have something what is similar to our market in the capitalistic
western world. If somebody needs a computer, he can't buy it. Only if
the plan allows someone to buy something, he is able to do so.
But he can't buy the machine what is cheap *NOW*, he has to buy the
machine what was cheap upto 5 years ago.
But what was a good deal 5 years ago ???
But that's just one aspect ...
Another one is that Russia don't have the money to buy computers like
the ST. They need higher-performance machines (but, unfortunately, they
aren't able to get these, they could only get the ones they don't want,
say ATARI ST ...)

Funny, but true !

>   David Megginson MEGGIN@VM.epas.utoronto.ca

pii

--
 # Peter Bechtold # Th.-Mann-Str.91 # D 7000 Stuttgart 30 # West Germany #
    # voice: +49 711 813240 # data: N/A # telex: (0402) 6101056 mac lu #