[comp.sys.atari.st] COMDEX And Atari

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/25/89)

Well, folks the Fall COMDEX is only 3 weeks away. Comdex
is being held in Las Vegas around the 16th of November.

Does anyone want to place any bets on what Atari will be
showing at Comdex??

will Atari have the NERVE to show the following VaporWare:

1) any flavor of the TT

2) the 1040STE

3) the Lynx game

4) DESKSET II

5) UNIX Sys V with X Windows

6) Word Flair (remember that one, supposed to blow away Word Perfect)

Well, I am looking forward to Comdex. I just *LOVE* VaporWare, its
so much cheaper then HardWare or SoftWare!!

Rich Covert

*************** GOOD NEWS SECTION *************
This time I would like to recommend MultiDesk from
CodeHead Software. Charles Johnson is the one bright
star in the ST universe and MultiDesk is marvelous.
MD allows you an unlimited number od DAs. It runs as a
DA and has menus to allow you to bundle different groups
of DAs and load them. And it works with the SLM804 Diablo
Emulator. A great utility if you use a lot of DAs.

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (10/27/89)

|Rich Covert writes:
|
|*************** GOOD NEWS SECTION *************
|This time I would like to recommend MultiDesk from
|CodeHead Software. Charles Johnson is the one bright
|star in the ST universe and MultiDesk is marvelous.
|MD allows you an unlimited number od DAs. It runs as a
|DA and has menus to allow you to bundle different groups
|of DAs and load them. And it works with the SLM804 Diablo
|Emulator. A great utility if you use a lot of DAs.
|************************************************

Yes, I also have MultiDesk and it comes in handy from time to time, my
favorite aspect is not having to reboot just because I forgot an accessory.

But, my reason for posting is to suggest that there are many "bright stars
in the ST universe". I could suggest maybe a dozen or two quality developers
for the ST, but you get the point. There are a number of *really*good*programs*
available! (And I'm not thinking of games, either!)

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely of the author,
            who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned.

Copyright (c) 1989 by Andrew Cassino.
Permission for distribution on USENET hereby granted.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/27/89)

In article <4670da63.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>Well, folks the Fall COMDEX is only 3 weeks away. Comdex
>is being held in Las Vegas around the 16th of November.
>
>Does anyone want to place any bets on what Atari will be
>showing at Comdex??

And more to the point, does it really matter?  Puh-lenty of prototypes
and "to-be-shipping-real-soon-now" gadgets probably are trotted-out at
shows like this.  I don't necessarily say any of the Atari products you
mention do or don't fit that description, just that it doesn't prove
much if they (Atari) do or don't show them at COMDEX.

>will Atari have the NERVE to show the following VaporWare:
> [ ...stuff deleted... ]
>4) DESKSET II

Hmmm, I don't recall hearing this name before.  What is "DESKSET", to say
nothing of its sequel?
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) (10/27/89)

In article <467699a3.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>,
     rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes ...

>>4) DESKSET II
>
>Hmmm, I don't recall hearing this name before.  What is "DESKSET", to say
>nothing of its sequel?

DeskSet was one of the first microcomputer-based commercial typesetting
front-end systems. It predates laser printers, Pagemaker, and so forth. As
I recall, it cost about as much as a car when it was first released.
So did a PC in those days.

DeskSet II is a contemporary page layout system. As I recall, it uses
Compugraphic Intellifont technology. My local Atari dealer has had
brochures on DeskSet II since last winter, but there is no evidence that
the Atari ST version has been released for sale. This is no major loss,
since Calamus does such an impressive (and speedy) job, also with
Compugraphic technology.

Compugraphic, currently a subsidiary of Agfa-Gevaert, is a company that
makes medium-to-high-quality commercial phototypesetting machines (and
some text editing systems). It has a large typeface library. In the last
couple of years, it has begun marketing digital representations of those
typefaces, in its own proprietary vector encoding as well as in PostScript
format.

      Steve Yelvington, up at the lake in Minnesota
  ... pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve             (Usenet)
  ... {playgrnd,moundst,class68}!thelake!steve       (Citadel)