[net.music] Spiro Agnew

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/11/85)

In a previous net.music article, Andrew Rogers wrote:

>The above quotes are from Richard Nicholls' "Rock and Roll Goes Down in
>History", which appeared in _Rock_ (Nov. 2, 1970).  As always, I'll gladly
>send photocopies to anyone who sends a USnail address.  (I'll include another
>article about Spiro Agnew's 1970 anti-rock tirades upon request.) <+   ^
>                                               ____________________|   |
>                                              |                        |
>                                              |________________________|
>Andrew W. Rogers                              |
>(Official Rock Archivist of USENET???)        |

                Could you post it?_____________|
		It seems pretty topical.

                                    Barth Richards
				    Tellabs, Inc.
				    Lisle, IL

				    "Our time has come, age of the hammerheads
				     This is our mission, to be the DALEKS
				     Of God"
                                    -Shriekback, "Hammerheads"
				     (from the album OIL AND GOLD)

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/19/85)

In article <637@tellab1.UUCP> barth@tellab3.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:
>In a previous net.music article, Andrew Rogers wrote:
>>The above quotes are from Richard Nicholls' "Rock and Roll Goes Down in
>>History", which appeared in _Rock_ (Nov. 2, 1970).  As always, I'll gladly
>>send photocopies to anyone who sends a USnail address.  (I'll include another
>>article about Spiro Agnew's 1970 anti-rock tirades upon request.)
>
>Could you post it [Agnew article]?  It seems pretty topical.

Unfortunately, no.  I would unquestionably receive endless flamage from the
net police for posting a 15-year-old article from a long-defunct publication.

However, I will post Spiggy's comments themselves, since I understand that
public statements of a U.S. Vice President are not subject to copyright law.

Here goes:

"Consider, as one example, the influence of the drug culture in the field
of music...

"We should listen more carefully to popular music, because at its best it
is worthy of more serious appreciation , and at its worst it is blatant
drug-culture propaganda.

"I do not suggest that there is a conspiracy among some song writers, enter-
tainers, and movie producers to subvert the unsuspecting listener.  In my
opinion, there isn't any.  [Compare against Reagan's recent statements.]
But the cumulative impact of some of their work advocates the wrong cause.
I may be accused of advocating 'song censorship' for pointing this out,
but have you really heard the words of some of these songs?

"One of the hits of the 1960's, registering more than one million dollars
in sales, was a record entitled 'With a Little Help From My Friends'.  It's
a catchy tune, but until it was pointed out to me, I never realized that
the 'friends' were assorted drugs with such nicknames as 'Mary Jane',
'Speed', and 'Benny'.  But the double meaning of the message was clear to
members of the drug culture - and many of those who are tempted to join.

"Or this one, called 'White Rabbit':

	[quotes the Jefferson Airplane song]

"There are scores of such songs: the titles often whisper or shout the
message.  Listen to these: 'The Acid Queen', 'Eight Miles High', 'Couldn't
Get High' [anyone ever hear of this one?], 'Don't Step on the Grass, Sam',
and 'Stoned Woman' [or this one?].  These songs present the use of drugs
in such an attractive light that for the impressionable, 'turning on'
becomes the natural and even the approved thing to do.

"And all the while that this brainwashing has been going on, most of us
have regarded it as good, clean, noisy fun.

"I am sure that very few, if any, station managers in Amerika would
deliberately allow the use of their radio facilities to encourage the use of
drugs.  Few parents would knowingly tolerate the blaring of a drug-approving
message from phonographs in their homes.  And few musicians intend their
'in-jokes' and double-meanings to reach past the periphery of pot users.
But the fact is that the stations do, the parents do, and the musicians do.

"Music is only one medium used by the drug culture.  Strong approval, or at
least an indulgent attitude, also comes across in certain movies, books,
and the underground press..."

Agnew goes on to rant against movies (specifically, "Easy Rider"), rock
festivals, and movies about rock festivals.  (His comments, though, are
mild compared to Ronald Reagan's recent attempts to equate rock lyrics
with pornography and child abuse... RR must have been using some pretty
heavy drugs himself to hallucinate that one!)

AWR
(Official Rock Archivist of USENET???)

jsl@potomac.UUCP (John Labovitz) (10/22/85)

> "There are scores of such songs: the titles often whisper or shout the
> message.  Listen to these: ... 'Couldn't
> Get High' [anyone ever hear of this one?]

Well, if it's the one I know of, it's by the Fugs.  Now, my question is, if
he heard stuff by them, why didn't he mention "Saran Wrap" (about using it
as a condom), "Coca Cola Douche", and many other uhh..interesting songs on
their albums.  And who could forget the hit "Nothing" :-)...  (If you
*really* want lyrics, I'll write them down).
--
John Labovitz		..!{rlgvax,seismo}!bdmrrr!potomac!jsl