[comp.sys.atari.st] Two-page Atari advertisement!

pgs@cs.brown.edu (10/25/89)

I opened my copy of The Brown Daily Herald, our campus newspaper, today and
discovered to my amazement a 2-page advertisement for the Atari Portfolio.
I will attempt to describe it.

A thin black banner appears at the top of each page, inside of which is printed
in white "INTRODUCING THE PORTFOLIO COMPUTER BY ATARI".  In large type on the
top of the left page, under the black banner, appears "Now the power of a laptop
comes in a handy new size."  Underneath is a photograph of an open Portfolio
computer, held in someone's hand.  Beneath the picture are some stats about the
computer:

128K continuously powered internal RAM, externally expandable, and 256K internal
ROM with DOS, BIOS, and applications.

256x64 pixel graphics mode, 40x8 text mode (With a moveable window on 80x25
character display.

80C88 static CMOS processor runs at 4.9152 MHz.

Super-twist LCD screen.

Includes 5 applications:
    - spreadsheet
    - word processing
    - telephone/address directory
    - diary
    - calculator

Measures 7.8" x 4.1" x 1.2".  Weighs 15.87 oz.

Built-in 32-pin connector for RAM/ROM memory cards (replace floppy disks for
storing data and programs)

63 positive-actions keys with audible click feedback and familiar QWERTY
keyboard.

60-pin expansion bus.

At the top of the right-hand page reads, "Slip it in your backpack and take it
to class!"  A small photo of the Portfolio being slid into a backpack appears
beneath, around which a large amount of text appears.  It reads:

Introducing the first PC that fits in your palm and weighs less than a pound.
Imagine-- as easily as reaching into your backpack for paper, you could be
pulling out a computer instead!
    Introducing the Portfolio by Ataru.  It weighs less than a pound.  Its system
commands are MS-DOS compatible.  And it costs a fraction of what you might
expect.  At about the size of a paperback book, it fits right in the palm of your
hand.  You might call it a "palmtop."
    Take it to class with you... or to the library... or on the plane ride home.
It's so small and light, you'll forget it's there.  And you'll be able to write
papers, review your notes, figure math problems-- almost everything you'd do on
your home computer!

Five vital applications include-- even a spreadsheet.
    The Portfolio comes complete with five important applications.  You can
upload and download your Lotus 1-2-3 files into the 127-column-by-255-row
spreadsheet.  Take notes and write papers on the basic word processor, then
upload them as ASCII files into WordPerfect of other word processing software if
you have a desktop computer.  You'll also have a phone/address directory (with
RAM cards, hold virtually unlimited numbers of addresses!) with phone autodialer,
an appointment calendar and a calculator with an editable tape of calculations
right at your fingertips.  Menus and messages can be displayed in English,
French, or German.

Run for weeks on three AA batteries.
------------------------------------
    Unlike other portables with power that lasts a few hours (about half a study
session), the Portfolio gives you four to six weeks of typical use with three
standard AA batteries.  And you'll never have to lug a heavy Ni-Cad battery with
you.  You can easily change batteries without data loss.  Three AA Duracell
batteries are included with your purchase to get you started!

Connect this palmtop to your home computer.
    A whole system of peripherals expands this palm-sized marvel to something
even more remarkable-- a complete "mini-office" for students on the go.  Once
you're back at home, upload your work into your home computer.  Or print it out
on your printer.  Because the Portfolio uses MS-DOS-compatible commands, many popular PC software programs are now being adapted and will soon be available to
Portfolio users.

Call now-- and hold the Portfolio in the palm of your hand.
    Take advantage of our "try-me-free guarantee."  Order your Portfolio today
and keep it in your pocket, purse, or backpack.  If at the end of 30 days you
don't think this is the most vital study tool you've ever used, simply return it
for a full refund.
    Don't wait another moment.  Call toll-free (800)443-8020 today.  All orders
are shipped Federal Express for quick delivery.  The next time you reach in your
backpack, you could be pulling out your Portfolio.

---- Peripherals and Accessories ----
* Smart Parallel Interface.  Interface to parallel printers and exchange files
    with PCs.  Includes file transfer software for IBM PC and compatibles.
    	    	    	    	    	    	    	    	    $49.95
* Serial Interface.  Standard and complete RS-232C interface for modems,
    printers, and other serial devices.	    	    	    	    $79.95
* RAM Memory Cards: 32K	    	    	    	    	    	    $79.95
    	    	    64K	    	    	    	    	    	    $129.95
    	    	    128K    	    	    	    	    	    $199.95
* AC Adapter	    	    	    	    	    	    	    $  9.95

A "coupon" reads the following:

YES!  I want the Portfolio by Atari now.

    	    JUST $399.95

(miscellaneous ordering information for mail orders)

    	Order toll free: 800-443-8020
    	    	7 am to 5 pm (PT)

And at the bottom, the ATARI fuji logo, with the words ATARI COMPUTER next to it,
and beneath, "A computer for everyone."

Thought people might be interested.

  Peter Sarrett      |  PO Box 439            | "So much time and so little to
  pgs@cs.brown.edu   |  Brown University      |  do.  Stop.  Strike that.
  uunet!brunix!pgs   |  Providence, RI  02912 |  Reverse it."
  pgs@browncs.bitnet |  (401)863-6977         |               - W. Wonka

strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu ( Colin J. Strasser.) (10/26/89)

Penn's campus paper (_The_Daily_Pennsylvanian_) ran the same ad.  I was im-
pressed -- it had the slick, polished look of a Mac ad.

Colin Strasser				University of Pennsylvania
strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu		Moore School of Electrical Engineering
CI$: 72447,1650				Class of '90 -- Penn's 250th year!

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/27/89)

In article <15927@netnews.upenn.edu> strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP ( Colin J. Strasser.) writes:
>Penn's campus paper (_The_Daily_Pennsylvanian_) ran the same ad.  I was im-
>pressed -- it had the slick, polished look of a Mac ad.

Unfortunately, this is a product that has zero relationship to the ST
world (and so now someone will followup to educate me as to the nature
of Economics and profits and probable wonderful spillover effects into
ST products, ya, ha ha, right), and I'm beginning to question the relevance
of Portfolio postings to comp.sys.atari.st, Atari-related though they may
be.  I gently suggest that perhaps such postings should be directed to
comp.sys.ibm.pc or comp.sys.msdos.thingies or comp.sys.portapotty_boxes
or whatever.

Interesting that we U.S. ST owners have so little of substance coming from
Atari to discuss that we could wax enthusiastic about an MS-DOS flavor of
Intel-driven box that just happens to carry the Atari logo.  Ugh.

--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (10/27/89)

I share your enthusiasm for the sudden media activity by Atari (though
in truth I can't get very excited about the product - doesn't seem to
be aimed at me, seems to be aimed at DOS people).  However, in the
interests of net bandwidth, & c., and since this is a non commercial
network supported in part by public money, could perhaps we have just
a precis next time, and not the entire text of the advertisement?

BTW, it ran in the Globe & Mail, business section.  In Canada, that's
like running in the Wall Street Journal (IMHO).

	Ross