[comp.sys.atari.st] Deskjet SOFT fonts

rudi@guvaxin.UUCP (Rudi V. Drunen) (10/23/89)

  ** 2nd Call **

  Does anyone know the format the HP Deskjet printer uses for it's
  softfonts ?? Neither the user manual of the printer, nor the info
  on the 128 KRAM module you need for using softfonts gives enough
  info to write my own downloader, and fonteditor on the atari.

  HP does supply a software package, but thats's intended to run under
  MS-DOS, and i am not using PC ditto.

  Hope someone can help me.

  Rudi van Drunen.                       Rudi!guvaxin.uucp

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (10/26/89)

The DeskJet soft font format was intentionally undocumented for reasons I
will not go into.  The soft fonts HP supplies can just be sent to the
printer as a binary copy, as long as you preceed the binary copy with the
set font id escape sequence (Esc*c#D where # will typically be 1 for the
first font you download, 2 for the second, etc.).  If all you want to
do is download HP supplied fonts and you are able to read from an MS-DOS
disc, this information should be sufficient to make your own downloader.

If you want to actually create and edit fonts, that is a different matter.
We do send out soft font format documentation upon request.  Initially try
our official support line at (208)-323-2551.  If they can't get you
the information through official channels, send me some email.  I'll
give you the name and phone number of our person here who supports
ISV (independant software vendors) and will give out this documentation.
I will not post his name and number on the net, however (I might get killed
or worse).  Our previous approach was to only give out this information
on a "need to know" basis, but I believe we are more liberal with this
information now.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (10/27/89)

>  ** 2nd Call **
Didn't see your first call.

>  Does anyone know the format the HP Deskjet printer uses for it's
>  softfonts ?? Neither the user manual of the printer, nor the info
>  on the 128 KRAM module you need for using softfonts gives enough
>  info to write my own downloader, and fonteditor on the atari.

I think that info is in the DeskJet Technical Reference Manual contained in
the DeskJet Software Developer's Guide.  I wish I knew why it wasn't more
accessible.  I don't have the information but there's couple of 'questions
hotlines' that might be useful.  They're even toll-free!

800-367-4772 Handheld/Personal Computer referrals and literature requests.
800-858-8867 Personal Computer technical information and software assistance.

I copied this from the Winter 88/89 HP Computer Users Catalog.  Hope it
helps.

>  HP does supply a software package, but thats's intended to run under
>  MS-DOS, and i am not using PC ditto.
I tried it and couldn't get it to work with PC-Ditto.  I have to admit
I didn't try that hard.  I just borrowed an RAM cartridge from work just
to see how easy it was.  Didn't think it was easy enough, so I gave up.
I'm satisfied with my Epson Cartridge for most stuff.  I'd like to finish
getting the LaTeX stuff hooked up for my higher quality documents of the
future.

>  Hope someone can help me.
I often feel this way.

>  Rudi van Drunen.                       Rudi!guvaxin.uucp
>
>----------

I'm not representing HP, I'm just a ST/DeskJet user like you.  I will share
what I know, but after I tell you everything, you will probally still feel
as I do: You still don't know nuthin'.

-Bob

 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
| Bob Waltenspiel                   | e-mail: bobw@hpsad (hplabs!hpsad!..)    |
| ATE Software Team                 | Telnet: 794-3091                        |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | AT&T: (707) 794-3091                    |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HPDesk: Bob WALTENSPIEL/HP5300/A0       |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                      |
 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

This goes along with another belief of mine: that everyone else my age
is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

					Margaret Atwood
					"Cat's Eye"

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (10/28/89)

I got this in the mail, but could not reply.  The info might be of interest to
others.

-BW

> Subject: Deskjet SOFT fonts
>
> I'm wondering how to get a copy of this ' Deskjet Software Developer's
> guide you mentioned in rour reply on my call on the ATARI DIGEST.
> Has this publication a HP Partnumber , so I can order it form the
> local HP sales office in the netherlands ? I called this office, but
> they say they'd never heard of this publication.
Sorry about that, but this document doesn't exist.  I have a paper called
'DeskJet Softfonts & Softfont File Format' that I received from the
DeskJet manufacturing division early this year.  At that time, I was told
they didn't want distribution of this document outside of the company.
In the purpose for this document it mentions the Developer's Guide.

That's the bad news.

> Since You're using an account on a computer at the HP labs, maybe you
> know addresses of people in the HP organisation who can supply more
> info.

Now the good news.

I called the number I posted, pretending to be a customer (that way I don't
accidentally get info that I shouldn't share, you know, industrial espionage
is pretty rampant here in the computer industry ;-) and was referred to another
number at the DJ division.  I continued to pretend I was a customer looking
for info on Softfont specs.  A woman there said she could send me a copy of
the Softfont File Format I mentioned above.  If I could get it without ident-
ifying that I work here, I'm sure you can too.  Call your sales office and
asked for 'DeskJet Softfonts & Softfont File Format' dated 12/30/88.  If
you run into a deadend, you can try the number I was given for the DJ support
in Vancouver, Washington: (206)254-8110.

> I am curious to know what software ( is it PD ??) you're using to use
> LaTeX on the ST. I got some stuff, but it wouldn't work.
Yes, it's PD.  I have the files but haven't tried them out yet.  My hard-
disk is getting pretty full and I'm waiting to do a complete backup before
purging enough space to hook up this LaTeX stuff.  It's all ftp-able from
various places here in the states.  The files I have are:
	640009 Oct  5 10:24 StTeXbin.zoo
	674188 Oct  5 10:27 StTeXmac.zoo
	280372 Oct  5 10:33 StTeXsrc.zoo
	 83007 Oct  5 10:39 StTeXtfm.zoo
	110969 May 19 14:49 djfonts.arc
	365612 Sep  6 13:05 dvifnts1.zoo
	241152 Sep  6 13:07 dvifnts2.zoo
	 85026 Oct  5 10:49 stbibtex.zoo
	436333 Aug  8 12:00 ctex-bin.arc
	327284 Aug  8 12:01 ctex-doc.arc
	715166 Aug  8 12:04 ctex-mac.arc
	281418 Aug  8 12:05 ctex-src.arc
	 77575 Aug  8 12:05 ctex-tfm.arc

I just been collecting this stuff as I see it.  Some of them may be redundant
or out of date, but I'll find that out when I install it.

Hope this is of some help to you.  Take care.

-Bob

--