[comp.sys.atari.st] TT vs 386 box and flames

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/21/89)

I logged on this morning to find a pleasant boxful of flames about my
TT's for the price of one Mac IIcx [nobody touched the subject of my
post...the fact that 80386 25mhz machines are comparable in price]...ad
nauseum....

Well, sure!  That lil' TT will save you tons of money!  As a matter of
fact, you won't have to spend a dime on it cause you'll probably never
see it.  Now that's what I call a bargain.  Hehe, you could put that
2.5K in the bank and earn interest.  (Gee, Atari is actually doing us
all a favor...How nice of them :-))  This whole argument for the
cheapness aspect of the TT is like saying "Hey, why should I waste my
money on a Corvette now, when I hear through the grapevine that Hyundai
is working on this new nifty sportscar?  Of course, I've never seen one
and the company only produces cheap cars now with little or no support.
 What the hell, sounds like a bargain to me?"

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, JoShmoe can buy a 25mhz 386 box with
super VGA, hard disk and all the niceties (yes, even unix) for about
3-3K.  AND he can buy it NOW when he needs it.  <If you don't actually
NEED the power, you might as well wait for the <snicker> TT>.

Chris Mauritz

p.s.  If this sounds like Atari bashing <grin>, I guess it is.

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) (10/23/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.624991946.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> Well, sure!  That lil' TT will save you tons of money!  As a matter of
> fact, you won't have to spend a dime on it cause you'll probably never
> see it.  Now that's what I call a bargain.  Hehe, you could put that
> 2.5K in the bank and earn interest.  (Gee, Atari is actually doing us
> all a favor...How nice of them :-))  This whole argument for the
> cheapness aspect of the TT is like saying "Hey, why should I waste my
> money on a Corvette now, when I hear through the grapevine that Hyundai
> is working on this new nifty sportscar?  Of course, I've never seen one
> and the company only produces cheap cars now with little or no support.
>  What the hell, sounds like a bargain to me?"

I have no idea why you think the TT is 'vapourware'.  Didn't you see the
article in Z*net on how everyone who saw it in England loved it.  I mean
there was one right in front of them!

Back off!

If you require further clarification, I will dig out my copy and transcribe
it so that you may be convinced.

Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
London, Ontario
Canada

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (10/23/89)

From article <3962.2541c37a@uwovax.uwo.ca>, by 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew
Semple):
> I have no idea why you think the TT is 'vapourware'.  Didn't you see the
> article in Z*net on how everyone who saw it in England loved it.  I mean
> there was one right in front of them!

Sad, to say, seeing a machine at a show doesn't mean it's going to be
purchasable in the near future!  The Atari CD-ROM drive was not only
shown in 1987, it made the front cover of the UK's leading personal
computer magazine (Personal Computer World, December 1987 - I kept
the review to chuckle over every few months).  The CD-ROM drive, to
my knowledge, is still not being sold in the UK - certainly I've not
seen any adverts for it in any ST magazine.  (I did hear that some
were on sale in Germany, but I can't confirm that.  Anyone?)

Now, my guess is that the TT WILL be marketed in the not too distant
future, but that doesn't necessarily follow from its being shown at a
computer exhibition.  (Just to emphasise the point, at the PC Show
this year, Atari were again showing Hyperchart, a presentation
graphics program that's a port of Davrelle graphics for the PC.  I
first saw this at a show in June 88.  The rep from the company that
wrote the program, Soft Image Systems, said the port was finished a
year ago, but Atari UK, who have the marketing rights, have been
procrastinating.)

Me, I'd settle for TOS 1.4 ROMs at the moment.  Atari UK is still not
shipping them to dealers and ordinary users.  At the PC Show at the
end of September I showed Atari UK's Bob Katz the postings by Ken
Badertscher about availability, and got the nice reply, "Ken works in
R&D, and the difference between R&D and reality is at least four
months."

Bob K did say the TT would start shipping here about the end of
November.  Maybe.  I'd love to see it happen, just as I'd love to see
the Stacy in the shops before Christmas.

I managed to crash (= freeze) the TT on show by going into low-res,
opening the 'about..' dialog box to see the 'rainbow' effect and
moving the mouse.  Hope that one gets fixed by release time!

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (10/24/89)

In article <1449@syma.sussex.ac.uk> grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:
> The CD-ROM drive, to
>my knowledge, is still not being sold in the UK - certainly I've not
>seen any adverts for it in any ST magazine.  (I did hear that some
>were on sale in Germany, but I can't confirm that.  Anyone?)

Nope. But I will say that 'available in Europe' hardly ever means that a
product is 'available in the UK'

>Now, my guess is that the TT WILL be marketed in the not too distant
>future, but that doesn't necessarily follow from its being shown at a
>computer exhibition.  (Just to emphasise the point, at the PC Show
>this year, Atari were again showing Hyperchart, a presentation
>graphics program that's a port of Davrelle graphics for the PC.  I
>first saw this at a show in June 88.  The rep from the company that
>wrote the program, Soft Image Systems, said the port was finished a
>year ago, but Atari UK, who have the marketing rights, have been
>procrastinating.)

More Atari UK war crimes! What do these people do all day?

>Me, I'd settle for TOS 1.4 ROMs at the moment.

Me too!

>  Atari UK is still not
>shipping them to dealers and ordinary users.  At the PC Show at the
>end of September I showed Atari UK's Bob Katz the postings by Ken
>Badertscher about availability, and got the nice reply, "Ken works in
>R&D, and the difference between R&D and reality is at least four
>months."

I don't believe that there is much communication between Atari UK and Atari US
since Atari UK act so backward. I remember telling them about Madmac and ALN!

Ken said that mine and other similar net articles about Atari UK had been sent
to the appropriate Atari Corp executives. Shortly after that the support we
got from Atari UK doubled! Double nothing! (I'm not getting at you Ken)

>Bob K did say the TT would start shipping here about the end of
>November.  Maybe.  I'd love to see it happen, just as I'd love to see
>the Stacy in the shops before Christmas.

An Atari UK mouthpiece once said that it would cost 1200 quid too.

>I managed to crash (= freeze) the TT on show by going into low-res,
>opening the 'about..' dialog box to see the 'rainbow' effect and
>moving the mouse.  Hope that one gets fixed by release time!

Ah now that IS Ken's department.

>Graham
>--
>Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
> JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk
> ARPA:  grahamt%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
> UUCP:  grahamt@syma.uucp          Phone: +44 273 686758

If any other Atari ST developers in the UK reading this newsgroup think they
get adequate support from Atari UK will they please identify themselves.
I am keen to know what makes you so special in their eyes.

Were you a TOS 1.4 beta tester?
Have you got an 6/4/89 Rainbow TOS chipset + developer release notes?
Have you been offered upgrades to Madmac, ALN or even db?
Do you now have	S.A.L.A.D,
		The Pexec cookbook,
		modern circuit diagrams (not a 1985 520ST),
		Mega expansion port docs
		Maths co-processor docs
		Mega clock docs
When did you last get a developers newsletter (whoops sorry, I meant corner
stapled photocopy)
What do you now know about the STE specific hardware, the Stacey and the TT?

Still think you're getting adequate support?

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK                                                     !

4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) (10/24/89)

In article <1449@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:>

> Sad, to say, seeing a machine at a show doesn't mean it's going to be
> purchasable in the near future!  The Atari CD-ROM drive was not only
> shown in 1987, it made the front cover of the UK's leading personal
> computer magazine (Personal Computer World, December 1987 - I kept
> the review to chuckle over every few months).  The CD-ROM drive, to
> my knowledge, is still not being sold in the UK - certainly I've not
> seen any adverts for it in any ST magazine.  (I did hear that some
> were on sale in Germany, but I can't confirm that.  Anyone?)

  I entirely agree.  But one would have to admit that there is a big
difference in money spent between a CD-ROM or a graphics package, than
the money spent on a new line of computer (well, enhancement at least).
If a company is going to sink a couple years and a couple million dollars
into developing a computer they think the market wants, why would you
then think someone inside would sabotage it's release.  This is the way
everyone talked before the release of the Mega line (not so much the ST).
No one thought Atari had the balls to release a computer that might, even
in the littlest way, be expandable.  I'm sure there are HUNDREDS of ideas,
some of them good I bet, that get left behind every year.  The TT is not
one of them.

> I managed to crash (= freeze) the TT on show by going into low-res,
> opening the 'about..' dialog box to see the 'rainbow' effect and
> moving the mouse.  Hope that one gets fixed by release time!

  Awsome...

Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
London, Ontario
Canada

adw3345@ultb.UUCP (A.D. Williams) (10/28/89)

 I've been working with my school's UNIX computer and I've found my
meaning in life. I really really really like UNIX and would like to use
my Atari as a terminal. Those green and black jobs just don't hack it.
Are there any Unix-specific utilities that I can use to make my ATari a
mini-Sun? I've heard of uw (Unix Windows), but are there other utilities
I can use?
 If Atari comes out with the TT, what "brand" of UNIX will it run? Will
it be just like SunOs (Unix) ? If so, I can hardly wait!

                                                            Derrick
                                                            Williams