[comp.sys.atari.st] Editing DESKTOP.INF

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (10/28/89)

Hello all,

In Info-Atari16 digest #550, Ignac Kolenko says:
In article <2315@hcr.UUCP> miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>>i am not enamoured of the "more" command. i have my own version that
>>is more to my liking (ie. i can search forward/backward, back up a
>>page, choose another file, ...). does anybody know of a way to call
>>a user defined piece of code instead of the routine that gets called
>>when i doubleclick on a file and choose "show"? ...

>ya, this is actually easier than you most people think. ...
>                                   .... set the application mask to be
>what ever document you want to look at: ie: if you want to look at all *.C
>*.H, *.DOC and *.TXT files using TEMPUS.PRG, simply install tempus.PRG as
>the installed application and for each installation give it one the above
>search masks.

Ignac is perfectly right, but he doesn't follow his own advice to the limit.
Simply specify *.* as the seach mask, and the application you defined will be
invoked for *ALL* non-executable files you double-click on *EXCEPT* the ones
you defined another application for by specifying a file type.

   Note that you must specify a complete path to your application (i.e.
C:BINEDITTEMPUS.PRG), and that you must be careful not to change the
DESKTOP.INF in any other way. So preserve trainling blanks and the Ctl-Z at the
end.

   I even have a program that can make such changes in DESKTOP.INF on the fly
in the copy of DESKTOP.INF *in*memory* ||

   Easy, eh??   :-)

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1 (will go away late '89)      Volker A. Brandt
          UNM409@DBNRHRZ1 (soon)                       Angewandte Mathematik
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU