[comp.sys.atari.st] TT vs 386 boxes and Apple

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Varsinainen sikapossu kuoli t{n{{n.) (10/21/89)

In article <28320@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Whitney) writes:

> Sure, Mac IIx, cx, and ci machines are nice.  They're also _really_ expensive.
> If the TT truly has VME slots (yes, they _are_ a standard, even at 16 data bits)and SIMM-based memory along with 512k of ROM space, it will be quite user
> expandable.  We'll be able to plug in new and better graphics cards, run
> UNIX with hardware memory protection (built into the '030), and expand our
> memory quite effectively.  With the SCSI port, we'll have cheap hard disks, and
> the built-in video modes are nothing to sneeze at.

I think exactly the same way! To me, it is very significant that Atari
can really make computers affordable. For example, a ST costs less than
a third of the price of a MAC, at least here in Finland - and THAT is
something to think about...

Where does all the extra money the Apple takes go? You can even emulate
a MAC with a ST faster than a real MAC. I hope (and believe) that the TT
will be the first truly affordable machine for Unix-usage.

It takes no effort to make a good but expensive computer. It is much more
difficult to make a computer that is as good but many times cheaper!
I think that's one of the reasons for why there still are some atarians
on this planet....

				Jouni

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (10/21/89)

In article <1035@cc.helsinki.fi> JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Varsinainen sikapossu kuoli t{n{{n.) writes:
>In article <28320@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Whitney) writes:
>>

>a MAC with a ST faster than a real MAC. I hope (and believe) that the TT
>will be the first truly affordable machine for Unix-usage.
>
>difficult to make a computer that is as good but many times cheaper!
>on this planet....
>
>				Jouni

I originally simply posted an ad I saw for a 25Mhz 386 box, 8 expansion
slots, VGA color high res monitor and card, 60 meg 1:1 hard drive, floppy,
keyboard, 1meg RAM  for $1995.00 ... and correct me if I am wrong,
there are several flavors of UNIX to choose from that should indeed
run on this machine.  I don't understand why people such as Jouni
say:  " first truly affordable machine for Unix-usage; ... as good
but MANY TIMES cheaper..".  Does Jouni know something that I don't
know?  Has ATARI announced a price for the TT?  Is it MANY TIMES cheaper
than $1995.00 ?  WIll ATARI support their Unix SYS V as well as they
have supported TOS?  Hmm...I guess only ATARI can tell us for sure,
and since their lips are sealed, it's hard to read them....

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (INFINITY EVERYWHERE) (10/22/89)

In article <4145@blake.acs.washington.edu>, ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
> In article <1035@cc.helsinki.fi> JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Varsinainen sikapossu kuoli t{n{{n.) writes:
>>In article <28320@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Whitney) writes:
>>>

>>a MAC with a ST faster than a real MAC. I hope (and believe) that the TT
>>will be the first truly affordable machine for Unix-usage.
>>
>>difficult to make a computer that is as good but many times cheaper!
>>on this planet....
>>
>>				Jouni
This article (which includes that text) wasn't really intended to be sent.
It was the first time I used MICROEMACS-editor, so I must have made
something wrong when the message really did somehow get into rnews.
I wrote a new one and it is the valid one.

> I originally simply posted an ad I saw for a 25Mhz 386 box, 8 expansion
> slots, VGA color high res monitor and card, 60 meg 1:1 hard drive, floppy,
> keyboard, 1meg RAM  for $1995.00 ... and correct me if I am wrong,
> there are several flavors of UNIX to choose from that should indeed
> run on this machine.  I don't understand why people such as Jouni
> say:  " first truly affordable machine for Unix-usage; ... as good
> but MANY TIMES cheaper..".  Does Jouni know something that I don't
> know?  Has ATARI announced a price for the TT?  Is it MANY TIMES cheaper
> than $1995.00 ?  WIll ATARI support their Unix SYS V as well as they
> have supported TOS?  Hmm...I guess only ATARI can tell us for sure,
> and since their lips are sealed, it's hard to read them....

The price comparisons I've are between the Apples and Ataris because
they are very much same technology. I admit that such a 386-system is
quite cheap.

Atari HAS announced a price for the TT in Germany: 6500DM for a TT with
a 30MB hard-disk and a monochrome VGA-monitor and 2 MB RAM.

I have also read that Atari would announce a TTP in England - cost: 1300
pounds with 1280x960monitor and a 60MEG hard-disk. (This is not as sure
as the German information, though.)

I have also read that atari would announce a version of Unix for about
300 dollars.

I know that Atari supports Europe more than the US. I can imagine why...

			Jouni -not flaming, only telling facts- Alkio

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (10/23/89)

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:

[...]

>I originally simply posted an ad I saw for a 25Mhz 386 box, 8 expansion
>slots, VGA color high res monitor and card, 60 meg 1:1 hard drive, floppy,
>keyboard, 1meg RAM  for $1995.00 ... and correct me if I am wrong,
>there are several flavors of UNIX to choose from that should indeed
>run on this machine.  I don't understand why people such as Jouni
>say:  " first truly affordable machine for Unix-usage; ... as good
>but MANY TIMES cheaper..".  Does Jouni know something that I don't
>know? [...]

OK, so a 25 MHz 386 box comes at $1995.00 (in the US, i guess). But it
is probably delivered with MS-DOS, for that price. Is it MS-DOS 3.x or
MS-DOS 4.x? Most certainly it won't be OS/2. And even more certainly it
won't be a UNIX system.

So the question arises: How much is SCO Xenix in the US? How much do you
have to pay for SCO UNIX (who wants SCO Xenix if they can have SCO Unix).
Does Microport still sell and how much do you have to pay for that? And
how about those Unixes as far as X-Windows is concerned?

However, since the prices for the TT with Unix and X-Windows isn't known
yet, how can you truly compare?

Conclusion: If you need POWER WITHOUT THE PRICE NOW, look for a 386 box
but don't expect to get a cheap Unix system out of it. If you need POWER
regardless of price then go for a workstation typt thing with Unix and
maybe X-Windows. If you can wait, then you might as well see what a TT
with Unix and X windows costs and what performance it yields.

Martin

P.S.: Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T
P.P.S.: All of the above are MY opinions.

--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/24/89)

[ Thanks to the person within Atari who answered some of my rather hostile questions
  some weeks back.  I meant to thank you then, but I was busy, our network's newsfeed
  has been undergoing brain-surgery recently, etc, etc -- so your message expired
  here before I could.  Sigh.  I appreciated that you took the time to respond. ]

In article <1060@cc.helsinki.fi> JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (INFINITY EVERYWHERE) writes:
>Atari HAS announced a price for the TT in Germany: 6500DM for a TT with
>a 30MB hard-disk and a monochrome VGA-monitor and 2 MB RAM.
>
>I have also read that Atari would announce a TTP in England - cost: 1300
>pounds with 1280x960monitor and a 60MEG hard-disk. (This is not as sure
>as the German information, though.)
>
>I have also read that atari would announce a version of Unix for about
>300 dollars.

I've read many things that Atari "will do" or "has done".  In early 1986
Jack Tramiel was quoted in an interview with START magazine as saying that
the "68020-based TT" would be shipping "within a few months".  I don't
believe he suggested a price.

Also in early 1986, the Atari CD-ROM drive was announced, although they
did leave themselves the out that it wouldn't be shipped until it could
be "priced appropriately".

The Atari laser printer was originally to have been (rumor said, although
I believe some of those rumors originated within Atari) an "under $1,000
(list-price) printer".

Believe it, not when you can merely see and touch it, but when your order
for one is filled and you *OWN* it.  Until then, it's all merely interesting
hearsay -- not only the "What" and "When", but also the "If" and "How Much".

>I know that Atari supports Europe more than the US. I can imagine why...

Why?  Explain, please.  Presumably Europe is more tolerant of vapor?

--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

mi@chyde.uwasa.fi (Matti Inkinen HKJ) (10/24/89)

Many writers have again written and argued about different machines. I would
say that computer is a machine, not a toy or god. You seem to take this
branch very religiously, believing to Atari TT or MacIntosh or "Industry
standard" or whatever.

Only comment from me is that every machine or operating system that
breaks monopolies are supportable. If Atari TT runs unix, msdos and MacIntosh,
I'll buy it any day. I don't have Atari, yet.

It would be reasonable to use best machine to each purpose, not machine I
"believe" in.

It's quite useless to write articless like yours. Post system is allready
overloaded and we don't need this kind of garbage to fill our machines.

PS. These opinions are my own.

	*  Matti Inkinen		e-mail  mi@chyde.uwasa.fi     *
	*  University of Vaasa		 	inkinen@vakk.uwasa.fi *
	*  Finland			voice	358-(9)61-248302      *

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (10/28/89)

Jouni Alkio says:

>I know that Atari supports Europe more than the US. I can imagine why...

The problem is that *Everyone*  seems to be running into the same kinds of
problems with Atari Corp.,..

Maybe "Junior Achievement" USA doesn't reach up into those high-level
management levels where some actual  "on the job" experience would be
helpful...

BobR