[comp.sys.atari.st] anybody know how to "hook" into MORE?

miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) (10/19/89)

i am not enamoured of the "more" command. i have my own version that
is more to my liking (ie. i can search forward/backward, back up a
page, choose another file, ...). does anybody know of a way to call
a user defined piece of code instead of the routine that gets called
when i doubleclick on a file and choose "show"? or am i just fingerpainting
with Prep H...

    HA! (pronoun trouble!) It's not "he doesn't have to shoot you now", it's
    "he doesn't have to shoot ME now". Well I say he does have to shoot me
    now! SO SHOOT ME NOW!!!

Mike Nemeth  HCR Corp. Toronto, Ont, Canada  {utzoo,utai}!hcr!bugcity!miken

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (10/23/89)

In article <2315@hcr.UUCP> miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>i am not enamoured of the "more" command. i have my own version that
>is more to my liking (ie. i can search forward/backward, back up a
>page, choose another file, ...). does anybody know of a way to call
>a user defined piece of code instead of the routine that gets called
>when i doubleclick on a file and choose "show"? or am i just fingerpainting
>with Prep H...

ya, this is actually easier than you most people think. simply use some sort
of desktop.inf editor (ie: QUIKINF.PRG, a fine Quick Utility) to edit
the installed applications for your machine. simply pick your favorite text
editor as the installed application, and set the application mask to be
what ever document you want to look at: ie: if you want to look at all *.C
*.H, *.DOC and *.TXT files using TEMPUS.PRG, simply install tempus.PRG as
the installed application and for each installation give it one the above
search masks. once you re-install that desktop.inf file (ie: reboot, or exit
from QUIKINF.PRG), you can then click on any *.DOC file (or any of the
masks you set up in the desktop.inf file) and TEMPUS.PRG will automatically
come up with the file loaded for you. simple, eh!!!

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (10/24/89)

i am not enamoured of the "more" command. i have my own version that
is more to my liking (ie. i can search forward/backward, back up a
page, choose another file, ...). does anybody know of a way to call
a user defined piece of code instead of the routine that gets called
when i doubleclick on a file and choose "show"?
----------

I have a way to do this, but it's pretty kludgy. First, let me state I am
doing this is in Neodesk 2.04; I haven't tried it in the TOS desktop. Even in
Neodesk, I don't think this is supposed to work. So here's what I did. I
first installed my preferred "more" as an application for two file suffixes.
The problem is, that's not enough, I need about a dozen suffixes. So, I
edited the neodesk.inf file and found the line that installed the
application. I duplicated this line as much as I needed immediately below the
existing line, and changed the suffixes in the duplicate lines. Well, what do
you know, but it worked - have my preferred more installed for a dozen
suffixes! I've been doing this for a couple of months, and nothing has gotten
upset about it yet.

Well, I know you can *try* to do the same thing to the TOS desktop.inf file,
but I have no idea if it will work.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely of the author,
            who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned.

Copyright (c) 1989 by Andrew Cassino.
Permission for distribution on USENET hereby granted.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

wsflinn@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Scott Flinn) (10/24/89)

In article <1135@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:
>In article <2315@hcr.UUCP> miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>>i am not enamoured of the "more" command. i have my own version that
>>is more to my liking (ie. i can search forward/backward, back up a
>>page, choose another file, ...). does anybody know of a way to call
>>a user defined piece of code instead of the routine that gets called
>>when i doubleclick on a file and choose "show"? or am i just fingerpainting
>>with Prep H...
>

>ya, this is actually easier than you most people think. simply use some sort
>of desktop.inf editor (ie: QUIKINF.PRG, a fine Quick Utility) to edit
>the installed applications for your machine. simply pick your favorite text
>editor as the installed application, and set the application mask to be
>what ever document you want to look at: [etc.]

This method is mainly satisfactory, but suffers from one major drawback:
the program must load from disk before it runs.  I no longer have anywhere
near enough memory to keep a ram disk installed, but I do have enough to
store a TSR that provides a decent 'more' and print utility.  The supplied
'more' utility runs directly from ROM ... can something in desktop.inf be
changed to tell it to run some code from a different place?

Cheers,

--
Me:      Scott Flinn                   /  "If it doesn't fit, force it.
Domain:  wsflinn@watcgl.waterloo.edu  /  If it breaks, then it didn't

decouty@irisa.fr (Bertrand Decouty) (10/24/89)

In article <1135@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:

[...]
| ya, this is actually easier than you most people think. simply use some sort
| of desktop.inf editor (ie: QUIKINF.PRG, a fine Quick Utility) to edit
| the installed applications for your machine. simply pick your favorite text
| editor as the installed application, and set the application mask to be
| what ever document you want to look at: ie: if you want to look at all *.C
| *.H, *.DOC and *.TXT files using TEMPUS.PRG, simply install tempus.PRG as
| the installed application and for each installation give it one the above
| search masks. once you re-install that desktop.inf file (ie: reboot, or exit
| from QUIKINF.PRG), you can then click on any *.DOC file (or any of the
| masks you set up in the desktop.inf file) and TEMPUS.PRG will automatically
| come up with the file loaded for you. simple, eh!!!

As for me, I have added the following line to desktop.inf:
#F FF 04 c:\bin\filespy.prg@ *.*@

and, each time i click on a not-executable file, filespy is called
automatically and displays this file. Unfortunately, you can't see
another file using f6 funcion key from filespy because mouse is not activated.

So, I have installed filespy as a GEM app, suffix: *. Now, I can use f6
function key, BUT BUT... I have no more executable files!  All files are
displayed by filespy! I can't even de-install filespy.prg as it is no
more an exec file! Fortunately, i have not saved this desktop, so a
reboot has corrected this trouble.

My question is: is there a way to specify all files except PRG, APP,
TTP, TOS?

| --
| =====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
|      co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!
|        "I don't care if I don't win, 'cause I don't care if I fail"
|              from 'Youth Of Today' by SUBURBAN DISTORTION

| Bertrand DECOUTY             | EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr, decouty@irisa.uucp  |
| IRISA - INRIA                |         {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty     |
| Campus de Beaulieu           | PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00                      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex - FRANCE| FAX : +33  99 38 38 32 | TELEX: 950473 UNIRISA|

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) (10/25/89)

miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:

> i am not enamoured of the "more" command. i have my own version that
> is more to my liking (ie. i can search forward/backward, back up a
> page, choose another file, ...). does anybody know of a way to call
> a user defined piece of code instead of the routine that gets called
> when i doubleclick on a file and choose "show"?

I enclose details of how to do this originally posted by Moshe Braner
when he posted his version of more some years ago: