[comp.sys.atari.st] Tos 1.4 - Two Versions?

calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) (10/23/89)

I was talking to my dealer (one of the largest in Canada) and he
informed me that Atari Canada was waiting for the "new version" of Tos
1.4 to come in.  As I was certain that Atari had said that there was
only one version of Tos 1.4 (other than developer disk version?) I
queried him further.  He assured me that they were waiting for a new
version of Tos 1.4??  Does anyone know anything about this?  What were
the changes, or am I, and my dealer mistaken?
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/25/89)

calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) writes:

>I was talking to my dealer (one of the largest in Canada) and he
>informed me that Atari Canada was waiting for the "new version" of Tos
>1.4 to come in.

There is only one released version of TOS 1.4.  All others are "test"
releases, "developer" releases, or "beta" releases (as in beta-test).
I don't know the date of the official TOS 1.4 release; I will ask John
Townsend to post the date you should find in the ROMs so you'll all
know if you've got the official version.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/25/89)

calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) writes:
> I was talking to my dealer (one of the largest in Canada) and he
> informed me that Atari Canada was waiting for the "new version" of Tos
> 1.4 to come in.

Your dealer is on bad drugs.  There is only one official, released
version of TOS 1.4.  Any others are "beta-test" or "developer"
releases, and as such are not supported by Atari.  (Besides, the fact
that we came out with the final release after these implies that there
were things that needed fixing - do you want a (more) buggy version?)

The date in the OS header of the released version is 4/16/1989. You can
see the date if you dump four bytes of memory starting at $FC0018; the
date shows up as 04 16 19 89 in hex (for the right version).

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (10/28/89)

In article <1745@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>The date in the OS header of the released version is 4/16/1989. You can
>see the date if you dump four bytes of memory starting at $FC0018; the
>date shows up as 04 16 19 89 in hex (for the right version).

The date in the official TOS 1.4 ROMS that I just bought is 4/6/1989,
which is identical to the date in the developer EPROMS that I bought
during the summer.  Are you mistaken about the date, or is your
version different from the one that everyone else is using?
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (10/30/89)

In article <1745@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

> The date in the OS header of the released version is 4/16/1989. You can
> see the date if you dump four bytes of memory starting at $FC0018; the
> date shows up as 04 16 19 89 in hex (for the right version).

> Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

I bought my copy of TOS 1.4 from L&Y at the Washington Atari fest on Oct 8th
(a 12-hour drive from here), and location $FC0018 reads 04 06 19 89.

What gives Allan?  BTW, Bob Brodie brought some TOS 1.4 sets up to Washington
for "one of the dealers". if it was L&Y (the other was Best) then I think
something stinks.

Also, I left a message to Bob on your BBS in Sunnyvale some time ago which
was not responded to.  I asked if I had a 1/6th illegal copy of TOS 1.4 since
(after a 12-hour drive back) when I tried to install these chips, I found
that my set contained L0, L2, L2, H0, H1 and H2 but _NO_ L1 chip.
Fortunately, I was not the only one to buy a set, so I made a copy of L1;
so L1 is nicely surrounded by official PROMs (maybe this is why I can't set
the AUTO option on NeoDesk without causing crashes; it works OK if I start
NeoDesk manually)  :)

Pierre Fortin

P.S.:  Can you (or anyone at Atari) put DB into Sig 11 on your BBS?  Thanks.