[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 Incompatibility List: In europe only?

colas@trinidad.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (10/25/89)

Nahaboo) writes:
> >Yes, Most of the greatest ST games do not work with TOS 1.4: Populous,
> >dungeon master, Falcon, Rick Dangerous...

> I don't know about Rick Dangerous, but I've been playing Dungeon Master
> and Falcon with no problems on my system with the 1.4 ROMs installed.

I have heard that falcon was only code-wheel protected in the US, is this
true? (in europe the protection is disk-based...)

In fact I have not the roms installed, Our local ST shop owner told me that
populous, DM, falcon, etc... did not work on his newly received STe, so
I checked it at home with my disk-based version of Tos 1.4... So maybe these
programs are only affected by the memory resident TOS? (I am ready to
believe that with falcon, since it doesn't support disk caches anyways)

Anyways, I am more than ever convinced that words-in-documentation IS the
best way (for the user) to protect games...

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/26/89)

colas@trinidad.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
> In article <10079@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu
> (Howard Chu) writes:
>> In article <267@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@trinidad.inria.fr (Colas
>> Nahaboo) writes:

... and so on ...

I am concerned about the fact that programs work for some people under
TOS 1.4 and not for others.  Either (A) the program is different or (B)
the TOS is different.

People, the only official TOS 1.4 release is dated 4/16/89.  You can
see the date in the ROM by dumping offset $18 from the start of the ROM
(which is $FC0000 on ST, but not STe!) ... you should see the date as
four hex bytes: 04 16 19 89.  If you don't see this, you don't have the
right version.

You should GET the right version: the old ones are inferior, and  the
incompatibilities which caused some of these programs to fail might
have been fixed in the released version - that would explain a lot of
this confusion.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (10/28/89)

Allan Pratt says:
>People, the only official TOS 1.4 release is dated 4/16/89.

Unfortunately, Atari Corp screwed around so long that a LOT of people got
tired of waiting for Atari to finally come up with an update to the 1985
Operating System for the ST, and began "burning" copies of various versions
of the TOS 1.4 ROMs...

Also unfortunately, not only your local "pirates" were among the disillusione
Atari owners, but many local Atari dealers as well..

It seems that some of the "official TOS 1.4" releases available from your]
local Atari dealer may NOT be the "official" (once they finally got around
to it) release of TOS 1.4

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (10/30/89)

In article <1751@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

> People, the only official TOS 1.4 release is dated 4/16/89.
>
> Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

Now I'm really concerned that Atari (including Sig Hartmann and Bob Brodie)
were no more than 25 feet away from two vendors at the Washington Atari
fest (Oct 7-8), one of whom sold me a copy of TOS 1.4 which contains the
values 04 06 19 89 at location $FC0018.  Bob even told me that he brought
copies of TOS 1.4 to Washington for one of these vendors... ???????

Pierre Fortin
Flip-top PC-clone cases make great Hard Disk and 5.25" floppy enclosures.
Now if Atari would only change HDX to support multiple drives (yes this
was documented in the SH204 docs!).