[comp.sys.atari.st] TURBODOS and AHDI v3.01 can't get on!

DAGLEISH@FRILL.BITNET (10/26/89)

        Hi,
                2 points:

1)      The ATARI hard-disc driver AHDI version 3.01 and TURBODOS (distributed
with the hard-disc utilities disc for MEGAFILE 30's by ATARI, France) are
totally incompatible. If you use the new AHDI and TURBODOS, then when you try
to copy files to the hard-disc then nothing happens. All the usual disc-
activity light flashing takes place and the file count in the alert box
decrements as normal, but at the end of the day none of the copied files
appears on the destination disc. If TURBODOS is not activated then the transfer
takes place normally.

        This problem occurs even though no other auto-boot or accessories are
used.

        I am thus obliged to make do with v1.7 of the SHDRIVER.SYS and so
cannot take advantage of the extended partitioning scheme of v3.01. It is
impossible to work without TURBODOS as the basic TOS 1.2 is so S*L*O*W when
using a hard-disc.

2)      My dealer (in LYON) has not heard any news of the arrival of TOS 1.4 (he
says he thinks that ATARI is going to go directly to TOS 1.6 as used in the
STE (which I briefly played with in the shop - RICHARD COVERT PLEASE NOTE, THIS
IS NOT VAPORWARE).                             ==============

SO,     is there anyone in France listening who has got a copy of TOS 1.4 in
ROM (for AZERTY keyboards)? If so where did you get it, and how much did it
cost? I would love to chuck out TURBODOS, STSELECT, FOLDER100 etc. and use AHDI
V3.01.

Paul A. Dagleish
Institut Laue-Langevin
38042 GRENOBLE
France

email:  DAGLEISH@FRILL.BITNET

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (10/30/89)

In article <8910280708.AA12501@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DAGLEISH@FRILL.BITNET writes:

> ..... If you use the new AHDI and TURBODOS, then when you try
> to copy files to the hard-disc then nothing happens. All the usual disc-
> activity light flashing takes place and the file count in the alert box
> decrements as normal, but at the end of the day none of the copied files
> appears on the destination disc.

I wonder if even Atari had some problems... I have an old 10 meg drive which
I formatted with AHDI V3.01 (I just use that drive for testing).  Something
interesting happens with the formatter:  while it is happily telling you
that it is checking your hard drive for bad sectors, the drive head does NOT
move from track to track.  The head actuator in my 10 megger is completely
out in the open which is how I know this.  Actually, the head stays near track
zero for a while, then jumps about 25% of the way out for a while, then 50%
(I am guessing) and one or two more times (I don't recall).

The point here is that there is NO WAY that the formatter can be checking
the drive as it claims.  If it IS, then I want to know HOW it could be reading
about 3 megs into my Mega *2* to check.  Also this "verify" must be SUPER-FAST
at reading the HD since the head moves across the tracks as fast as a normal
"seek".

 I wonder if this is why AHDI V3.02 is now out without any docs and only the
 formatting program is changed?  I haven't tried it out yet...

> Paul A. Dagleish

Pierre Fortin