[comp.sys.atari.st] Bashing mania

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (10/27/89)

Seems no matter what Atari does, someone takes a shot. If Zenith, Toshiba,
Commodore, etc. put out PC compatibles then it's OK. If Atari does it then
they're comprimising their principles (witness the complaints over the
Portfolio). If Commodore issued the Portfolio it would be visionary.

At least Atari insists on bundling their equipment with user friendly
interfaces.

Critics praised the NeXT machine for its foresight in not putting the smarts
in its laser - have the computer use its RAM. When Atari did this industry
analysts complained. Double standards - you bet.

Everyone bitches about the TT being late. The Mac II has not been with us
that long and Apple had a 1.5 year head start with the Mac over the original
ST. The delay between the Mac and Mac II is now about the same as the ST
and the TT (and in the same time frame, Atari developed and released their
PC XT, AT and 386 line, the STACY, the Mega and the ATW).

Mac users tend to forget about all the bad years of infinite disk swaps,
HD 20 to patch in a hard disk, the volatile hard disk directory problems
(what do you think SHUTDOWN is for), opsys versions that changed every 20
minutes, etc. PC users have had DOS (enough said).

The ST community has had fewer nightmares than the other guys. Sure their are
386s and Mac IIs (how many in home use guys). The Mac may have introduced the
computing world to user friendly interfaces but the 520/1040 releases made
it affordable to the masses without endless disk swaps. Like others, I get
upset about delays in the release of new Atari equipment. However, considering
the great fun and productivity I have had with my machine, I can take a little
bad with the good.

I suggest that the net start a new forum BITCH.COMP.SYS and that we chuck all
crabbing (including mine against DOS) in there.

Have a good day Sam Tramiel, I'm having another great one with my ST.

lake@ka3ovk.uucp (Marshall Lake) (10/30/89)

In article <8910280704.AA11592@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
>Seems no matter what Atari does, someone takes a shot. If Zenith, Toshiba,
>Commodore, etc. put out PC compatibles then it's OK. If Atari does it then
>they're comprimising their principles (witness the complaints over the
>Portfolio). If Commodore issued the Portfolio it would be visionary.

The Portfolio is great!  More eyes will turn towards Atari because of it.
Therefore, more STs will be sold.  Certainly not the opposite.

>I suggest that the net start a new forum BITCH.COMP.SYS and that we chuck all
>crabbing (including mine against DOS) in there.

I totally agree.

>Have a good day Sam Tramiel, I'm having another great one with my ST.

Hear hear!