[comp.sys.atari.st] blitter beaters

Just for my own curiosity, I downloaded the QuickST 1.6 demo and
checked its speed with QuickIndex 1.5 (geeze. Sorry Darek, I've
used this QuickIndex a number of times and still haven't registered
with you. A check is on its way tho, honest!). So, some numbers from
my Mega 4 with TOS 1.4 in EPROMs, in case anyone else is curious...

Abbreviations:
	A  - no accelerators
	B  - BLiTTER only
	T  - Turbo ST 1.6 only
	TB - Turbo ST 1.6 + BLiTTER
	Q  - QuickST 1.6 demo only
	QB - QuickST 1.6 demo + BLiTTER

For monochrome resolution:

		A	B	T	TB	Q	QB
BIOS text	91	99	298	298	307	307
BIOS string	86	91	1210	1210	1081	1081
BIOS scroll	98	129	136	142	132	132
GEM draw	100	135	211	233	158	177

For medium resolution:

		A	B	T	TB	Q	QB
BIOS text	92	98	320	320	246	246
BIOS string	87	90	1364	1364	1373	1373
BIOS scroll	98	126	132	138	129	129
GEM draw	99	130	175	211	115	156

For low resolution:

		A	B	T	TB	Q	QB
BIOS text	94	106	415	416	221	221
BIOS string	89	97	851	856	443	443
BIOS scroll	98	125	133	133	128	128
GEM draw	99	149	182	235	101	151

Dunno why column A doesn't just say "100" all the way down the line.
Oh well. Also interesting to note that when the blitter makes a
difference with Turbo-ST, the difference depends on order of
activation. If you turn on the blitter first, and then TurboST,
you'll get about 6% more speed than vice versa. (Turn TurboST on
first, then the blitter...) [This quirk isn't visible above,
obviously.]

Kind of interesting... Makes ya wonder how you could put up with
text operations on an ST just out of the box. Things really do look
real real slow, until you use one of these add-ons. Pretty hard to
judge which one to use, though.

I'm kinda bummed, myself. Neither of these two programs work with
non-standard screen sizes, so my Overscan switch is idling in the
normal position. Oh well. QuickST1.4 worked OK with Overscan. I
wonder why the restriction now? Also TurboST doesn't seem to like
PinHead. My system freezes when PinHead is in my AUTO folder, if
TurboST is loaded.

I s'pose I wanna comment on the numbers themselves, since I've
gone to all the trouble of typing them in. Interesting to note
that the BIOS text operations (Bconout, Cconws) done by both
programs completely ignore the blitter. Also interesting that
TurboST gains a few percent in scrolling when the blitter is
active, but QuickST ignores it there as well. (Interesting, but
not a very significant difference, to be sure.) Also odd how the
different resolutions alter the speedups. Like, in monochrome,
the blitter accelerates GEM draws by 35% all by itself. But, it
only speeds up both TurboST and QuickST by about 20%. Then, in
medium, the blitter accounts for only 30% by itself, but speeds
up both TurboST and QuickST by about 40%. Funky Stuff there...

Hm. Does anyone else out there really care about this stuff?
I'm pretty curious to see some numbers for the various hardware
accelerators now...
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

w-darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek Mihocka) (10/31/89)

In <10087@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>Just for my own curiosity, I downloaded the QuickST 1.6 demo and
>checked its speed with QuickIndex 1.5.

Howard, the Quick ST 1.6 demo was not intended to be Quick Indexed. It is
slower than the actual release version of Quick ST 1.6, and so the numbers are
misleading. The purpose of the demo was to satisfy all the people who said
they'd register if the Quick ST 1.4 wasn't so buggy. Well, it's no longer
buggy, so I should be seeing a few more shareware donations, right? <grin>

The demo is still faster than all previous versions of Quick ST and that
other program, other than version 1.6 of the other program. The release version
is a tossup, because it is faster than that other program in some cases, and
slower in others. On average, pretty even, and half the size of that other
program. Quick ST even does pretty well with that SPEEDTST program they provide
with that other program. I do not mention the name of that other program cuz
it is overpriced and its advertizing is misleading, and it doesn't need any
more free publicity.
long list of benchmarks omitted.
>Dunno why column A doesn't just say "100" all the way down the line.

You must have had some other TSR or desk accessory installed, like GDOS or
Hotwire. Any program that hooks the TRAP vectors will reduce the speed.
>Kind of interesting... Makes ya wonder how you could put up with
>text operations on an ST just out of the box. Things really do look
>real real slow, until you use one of these add-ons. Pretty hard to
>judge which one to use, though.

The blitter is inefficient at plotting text. There is too much setup work to
do to plot even a single character.

>I'm kinda bummed, myself. Neither of these two programs work with
>non-standard screen sizes, so my Overscan switch is idling in the
>normal position.

Quick ST automatically supported Hyperscreen up to version 1.5. Since I only
knew of two other Hyperscreen users here in North America, I did not include it
in the demo. I was in contact with the author of overscan, and I suggested that
the best place to put Quick ST support for Hyperscreen would be in Overscan
itself, since both programs run from the AUTO folder, and so could be merged.
Since Quick ST source code was posted, as well as Overscan source code, I'm
sure some industrious person out there will merge it sooner or later.

Quick ST can still support custom screen resolutions, since the code is
resolution independent. All I need is your desired screen resolution and your
shareware check <grin> and you'll have a Hyperscreen version.

Since you're on usenet, custom versions can be sent out same day. We don't
force you to mail in a disk and $5 every time there's a new file like with that
other program.

>I s'pose I wanna comment on the numbers themselves, since I've
>gone to all the trouble of typing them in. Interesting to note
>that the BIOS text operations (Bconout, Cconws) done by both
>programs completely ignore the blitter.

Already explained.
>TurboST gains a few percent in scrolling when the blitter is
>active, but QuickST ignores it there as well. (Interesting, but
>not a very significant difference, to be sure.) Also odd how the
>different resolutions alter the speedups. Like, in monochrome,
>the blitter accelerates GEM draws by 35% all by itself. But, it
>only speeds up both TurboST and QuickST by about 20%. Then, in
>medium, the blitter accounts for only 30% by itself, but speeds
>up both TurboST and QuickST by about 40%. Funky Stuff there...

Quick ST doesn't use the blitter for scrolling. If you can tell the difference
with and without a blitter, you should be a baseball umpire or something.
Quick ST owes its small size partly due to the fact that it doesn't waste
code trying to optimize something to gain an extra 1% or 2% in speed.

The down side is that Quick ST will score lower on benchmarks. But it is silly
to worry about a few percentage points. Your eye will not notice the
difference, and so why why waste code on minor optmizations.

For example, say your car is badly tuned, and the tires are a bit flat.
You take the car into Quick Mechanics and have it tuned. Suddenly it's a lot
faster and fuel efficient. You notice that. Then you add some air to your
tires (which Turbo Mechanics charge you $50 to do). You probably won't notice
a difference until you actually measure your exact milage, and then it'll
be something small. You see the point I'm making.

>Hm. Does anyone else out there really care about this stuff?
>I'm pretty curious to see some numbers for the various hardware
>accelerators now...

Hardware accelerator results were compiled by a few different people a
few months ago. From the results I saw, and from my own benchmarking, the
Turbo 16 board by Jim Allen is by far the best accelerator. And you don't
need Quick Index to see it. The other accelerators, like CMI, JRI, Datafree,
etc, aren't worth the paper they're advertized on, unless you're into spending
$100 - $300 for a 10%-20% speed increase in most programs. The Jim Allen board
will give you about 50%-60%, possibly more during number crunching. Definately
a good buy. No, he didn't pay me to say this. I saw his board and tried it and
it's great.

Like I mentioned, Quick ST source code is available on Genie and Compuserve
and was probably somewhere on here a few months ago. If you have any questions
about it, either look at the source code or ask me or Ignac. You don't need
to guess.

Darek Mihocka                   ST Xformer II                  CIS: 73657,2714
Box 2624, Station B            Quick Utilities                   GEnie: DAREKM
Kitchener, Ontario          MegaBlit   SSG   SPX                DELPHI: DAREKM
N2H 6N2                   Shareware, not Vaporware                 BIX: darekm
Canada      Quick ST 1.6 is out!    CheapNet: ...!uw-beaver!microsoft!w-darekm
(519)-747-0386     A mind is a terrible thing to waste, so JUST SAY NO TO TOS.
Opinions expressed are my own and not those of anyone not named Darek Mihocka.