[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 Incompatibility List: Populous

colas@trinidad.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (10/25/89)

Yes, Most of the greatest ST games do not work with TOS 1.4: Populous,
dungeon master, Falcon, Rick Dangerous...

At least there are some good news: It is only the PROTECTION on
populous  which crashes, my original do not work, but my cracked copy
I have for everyday use works perfectly (I try never to use originals, as a
power cut will fry the disk inside a ST drive...)

bad news: even the cracked versions of falcon and DM do not work.

In article <267@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@trinidad.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>Yes, Most of the greatest ST games do not work with TOS 1.4: Populous,
>dungeon master, Falcon, Rick Dangerous...
>
>At least there are some good news: It is only the PROTECTION on
>populous  which crashes, my original do not work, but my cracked copy
>I have for everyday use works perfectly (I try never to use originals, as a
>power cut will fry the disk inside a ST drive...)
>
>bad news: even the cracked versions of falcon and DM do not work.

I don't know about Rick Dangerous, but I've been playing Dungeon Master
and Falcon with no problems on my system with the 1.4 ROMs installed. I
also play off copies, not the originals, but these disks haven't been
cracked. The big reason for copying these was that the original disks
couldn't be read on my machine. (Funky drive speeds.)

I've also been playing Operation Counterstrike (the Falcon Mission disk)
without any problems.
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (10/25/89)

canada@crash.cts.com (Diane Barlow Close) (10/25/89)

In article <267@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@trinidad.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>Yes, Most of the greatest ST games do not work with TOS 1.4: Populous,
>dungeon master, Falcon, Rick Dangerous...

I have all of these games AND TOS 1.4 and NO PROBLEMS!  All of these games
run just fine on my TOS 1.4 equipped system.  I suspect you have other
problems not related to TOS 1.4...
--
Diane Barlow Close
      {nosc, ucsd}!crash!canada

savrtka@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (James Savrtka) (10/26/89)

Colas Nahaboo writes:

> Yes, Most of the greatest ST games do not work with TOS 1.4: Populous,
> dungeon master, Falcon, Rick Dangerous...

Funny, I have Populous, Dungeon Master, and Falcon originals -- and they
all work with 1.4 in my 1040STf.

BAAL, on the other hand, takes multiple attemps before it loads, and
ST WARS simply bombs out while loading.

| DISCLAIMER:  If you have a problem with my statements, see my disclaimer. |

galileo@crash.cts.com (Steve Klug) (10/31/89)

In article <267@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@trinidad.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>Yes, Most of the greatest ST games do not work with TOS 1.4: Populous,
>dungeon master, Falcon, Rick Dangerous...
>
>At least there are some good news: It is only the PROTECTION on
>populous  which crashes, my original do not work, but my cracked copy
>I have for everyday use works perfectly (I try never to use originals, as a
>power cut will fry the disk inside a ST drive...)
>
>bad news: even the cracked versions of falcon and DM do not work.

I have TOS 1.4 in my 1040 ST and all of the above games aside from Rick
Dangerous (I don't own that one) work just fine.  Perhaps your drive is
the problem.

Steve

george@electro.UUCP (George Reimer) (11/10/89)

In article <1772@atari.UUCP> danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:

>I have both Falcon and Populous on a MEGA 4 w/ TOS 1.4 installed in it
>(six chip ROM set-production release) and both of those games work fine on
>my computer.  I haven't tried Dungeon Master in for a few months but I *THINK*
>I remember trying it and it ran as well.
>

>Anyone else have any problems with these programs?

	I have a 520STFM upgraded to 1 meg which ran FALCON just fine until
	I installed the six chip TOS 1.4. Now it takes about 20 accesses on
	disk two, numerous disk swaps ( to send the heads various places ?? )
	before it'll finish the boot. Quite frustrating.

	Any thoughts on installing both versions at once, hardware switch
	selectable?

George
Reimer