[comp.sys.atari.st] DOES ATARI LASER PRINTER WORK ONLY WITH MORE THAN 1 MEG RAM STs:

dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Dirk Husemann) (11/11/89)

alderaan@tubopal.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) writes:

>In article <8911032129.AA27713@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) writes:
>>
>>	DOES ATARI LASER PRINTER NEED MORE THAN 1 MEG RAM ?
>>	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

>  Yep. The SLM804 does not have local memory. It allocates parts of the ST's
>memory to store images. This takes about 1Meg, as I know.
>  Where do you think are the bucks you save not buying a LaserJet ? :-)

	Noyes - There's an accessory which emulates an EPSON FX-80 fairly good
that will work with less than 1 MByte of RAM.

	It will allocate a certain amount of memory the first time it is called
(you can let it do this during installation of it as accessory with a special
file) and then work as an EPSON FX-80 printer - It works pretty well.

	How much memory does it need? Well, Currently I'm running it with
about 700k which is - admittedly - much provided that you have only 1 Meg of
memory available. The manual of this software - it's called LASERBRAIN - states
that for pure text printing 40 K should do - if you want to use the supplied
fonts for printing you need more memory. I ended up using 700k.

	I got LASERBRAIN for free from Atari, West Germany (I send them a 3.5"
disk and got another one back with the emulator, fonts, and manual on it -
also included were a configuration file for 1st Word Plus and Adimens).

>--
>Thomas Cervera         | UUCP:   alderaan@tubopal.UUCP
>SysMan RKOpdp (RSTS/E) |         ...!unido!tub!opal!alderaan (Europe)
>D-1000 Berlin 30       |         ...!pyramid!tub!opal!alderaan (World)
>Motzstrasze 14         | BITNET: alderaan%tubopal@DB0TUI11.BITNET (saves $$$)

---------------------- Smile, tomorrow will be worse! ------------------
X.400:	<S=dkhusema;OU=informatik;P=uni-erlangen;A=dbp;C=de>
RFC822:	dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
RFC822: dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.dbp.de	[BETTER!FASTER!]
UUCP:	{pyramid,unido}!fauern!immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de!dkhusema
-- Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here! --
------------------- My opinions are mine, mine, mine -------------------