[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectre in a Mac Environment

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (11/08/89)

At my workplace, there are little dominions of microcomputing. One building
is dominated by Atari STs, others are dominated by PCs, others have nice
mixes of Macs, STs and PCs and one in particular is the mecca for Mac
enthusiasts. Nestled neatly in the Mac mecca are 4 1040STs that sit as
front ends to a VAX based graphics system (I/O is via UNITERM).

I trundled by and plugged Spectre GCR into one of the STs and lo and behold,
Mac users started drifting in with floppies trying to find a Mac application
that would not run on the lowly (that's their opinion, not mine) ST. After
a full day on disk-in, disk-out, click-click and ooo-ahs, Mac users were
finally convinced that YES, Spectre GCR is for real and YES it does a great
job of running MacWare (Gee!, the screen looks so much bigger!).

Having seen VersTerm Pro, Cricket Draw and Graph, MacDraw II, MacDraft,
Word 4.0, Excel 1.5, FileMaker +, MicroSoft Chart, StatWorks, SuperPaint,
etc. run on the ST, most Mac users agreed that an ST with GCR would fit
in nicely with a Mac environment.

esp_05@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Stdnt 05) (11/11/89)

Another gold star for the Spectre:  I bought a Spectre 128 in August
(along with a [yech] Translator One that actually works sometimes),
back before the days of the GCR.  One of my usual IBM programming
contracts expanded into a Mac port, and rather than buy another
computer that I didn't really want in the first place, I got the
Spectre and Think C.  Three weeks later my first program (which,
incidentally is a commercial program) was in final form, and I hadn't
managed to crash the system even once.  I was afraid that trying to
develop software with a Spectre was going to be a fiasco, but I must
say now I am more than pleased with the outcome of this experiment.

Eric Ruck

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (11/11/89)

In article <3267@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> esp_05@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Stdnt 05)
writes:
> I got the
> Spectre and Think C.  Three weeks later my first program (which,
> incidentally is a commercial program) was in final form, and I hadn't
> managed to crash the system even once.

 So, Think's C works. I have Think's Pascal which in fact doesn't work.
It seems to do some illegal things with the mouse, because when you boot
it, the mouse will not move.  You can quit by Command-Q.  I've been hesitant to get Think C because of the situation with their Pascal.  Thanks for letting us know that it works.

--mjv@iris.brown.edu
"And, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
 Bring me a big, red india-rubber ball."
                                   A.A. Milne "Now We are Six"