[comp.sys.atari.st] questions, questions, questions

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (11/09/89)

In article <1723@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) writes:

>I use a program called ST-TERM, written by Matthew R. Singer.
>The version I have is 3.7b. I am not sure if it is the most recent,
>but it  is not very old.
>
>St-term used to be commercial, and I bought a copy then, but since has
>gone public domain, so anyone can take it. It supports an excellent
>phone dialer (you can dial numbers in sequence until it gets through to
>one of them) , keeps track of passwords and user numbers, baud rates,
>etc.
>It also supports 10 transfer protocols including SEALINK and ZMODEM.
>terminal emulation: vt100 and vt52 ONLY

I was not aware that ST TERM had been released into the Public Domain.
As a FoReM ST SysOp, I do know that ST TERM comes ONLY on the FoReM
disk.  It is intended to be run from inside of FoReM by the SysOp.

Last I heard, it was NOT Public Domain, but was not commercial either.
I'll check with the other FoReM SysOps I know and see what they say.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: Don't bother,
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        it doesn't work
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

figuei@max.sunysb.edu (Francisco Figueirido) (11/09/89)

Hi netters! I have some questions which maybe some of you can
answer.

(1) I got version 2.0e of UniTerm from terminator.cc.umich.edu,
and it comes with some fonts (unifont.arc) which I can't make it
to load. According to the readme files it has a new command
(loadfont(index,filename)) but whenever I try it it either doesn't
do anything or tells me it cannot open the file. Can anybody help me
with this? I really hate the system font!

(2) I am in love with GCC but have only 1Meg on my 1040ST, so I
am eager to expand its memory. I know many of you have such
expansions, so I would really appreciate any informations about
this (which brands are available, pros and cons, what speed the
ram chips have to be (I guess it's 120ns?), etc.). Related to this,
does anybody have any experience with Fast16 or any other accele-
rator board? I would like to know something more about them.

BTW, I didn't like the floating point routines in GCC so I spend
some (not negligible) time writing my own. They are not perfect,
probably have many bugs, but if anybody is interested just tell
me and I will send him/her the code. But some words of caution:
I wrote them (in assembly, of course!) to operate on 80-bits
floating point numbers (using some ideas from a BYTE article by
Rick Grehan), so the interface with the compiler is a little bit
akward (I didn't want to recompile GCC). But I also rewrote the
(arithmetic) operations on doubles using my extended version
and am using that regularly (and they work fine, although not
very fast). I did this because I prefer accuracy over speed
(I wouldn't do any VERY intensive computation on a ST!) and got
it! I have (not very fast) routines for sqrt, exp, logs, etc,
which give me correct answers to 20 decimal digits. Anyway, if
anybody is interested just contact me.

Sorry for the length of my letter! It's my second one (I think).

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (11/12/89)

>I was not aware that ST TERM had been released into the Public Domain.

Me either!

>Last I heard, it was NOT Public Domain, but was not commercial either.

Don't understand that at all, I thin it IS commercial.

>I'll check with the other FoReM SysOps I know and see what they say.

Last I heard it still is for FoReM SysOps. What node are yo OS8^)