[comp.sys.atari.st] HDX 3.01

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (08/08/89)

    Could some kind soul please send to me the HDX utilities version 3.01?
    There is no GEnie or CompuServe node here and I noticed that HDX301.ARC
was available in the GEnie listings.
    Send to my listed E-MAIL  address.
    Many thanks!

Larry Rymal in East Texas <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (08/12/89)

in article <890807.19362146.008300@SFA.CP6>, Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) says:

>     Could some kind soul please send to me the HDX utilities version 3.01?
>     There is no GEnie or CompuServe node here and I noticed that HDX301.ARC
> was available in the GEnie listings.
>     Send to my listed E-MAIL  address.
>     Many thanks!
>
> Larry Rymal in East Texas <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

The ARCed set of the new utilities is also available on the Atari Base BBS
system run by Atari.  The number is 408-745-5308.  Expect a 12-24 hour
lock-out period (meaning, call back and you should be verified) because of
little hackers running amok the system.

Dan

SYTANG@CSUGREEN.BITNET (SHOOU-YU TANG,PHYSICS DEPT,CSU,303-491-6372) (11/09/89)

Hello everyone:
Local BBS has a file called HDX301.ARC which suppose to have the newest Atari
hard drive software HDX 3.01. And the doc. file stated this should be 3.01,
but when run the Installer and look under the Info one get version 3.00.
    Is this right? Did Atari forgot to change the version # in the Info?
or someone packed wrong stuffs? What's the date should be for the 3.10?
(Thanks.
===========
Shoou-yu Tang; Colorado State Univ. Phys.
sytang@csugreen.ucc.colostate.edu

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (11/11/89)

SYTANG@CSUGREEN.BITNET (SHOOU-YU TANG,PHYSICS DEPT,CSU,303-491-6372) writes:

>Local BBS has a file called HDX301.ARC which suppose to have the newest Atari
>hard drive software HDX 3.01. And the doc. file stated this should be 3.01,
>but when run the Installer and look under the Info one get version 3.00.
>    Is this right?

Yes.  The only part which has the version number 3.01 is the driver,
called AHDI.PRG when it's in the AUTO folder of the floppy, called
SHDRIVER.RAW in the HINSTALL directory, and called SHDRIVER.SYS when
it's instlled on your hard disk.  For everything else, 3.00 is right
and fine.

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (11/11/89)

in article <891108225856E11.WKMZ@CSUGREEN.UCC.COLOSTATE.EDU>, SYTANG@CSUGREEN.BITNET (SHOOU-YU TANG,PHYSICS DEPT,CSU,303-491-6372) says:

> Hello everyone:
> Local BBS has a file called HDX301.ARC which suppose to have the newest Atari
> hard drive software HDX 3.01. And the doc. file stated this should be 3.01,
> but when run the Installer and look under the Info one get version 3.00.
>     Is this right? Did Atari forgot to change the version # in the Info?
> or someone packed wrong stuffs? What's the date should be for the 3.10?
> (Thanks.
> ===========
> Shoou-yu Tang; Colorado State Univ. Phys.
> sytang@csugreen.ucc.colostate.edu

The HDX version is 3.00. The actual driver (the software that loads up when
you turn your system on...) is version 3.01.

-- John Townsend					ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corporation, Title Unknown!

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (11/13/89)

Allan,
While using HDX 3.01 to format my old 10Meg drive for testing purposes, I
noticed a couple of anomalies...
1. After the format was done, the program claimed that it was checking the
   drive for bad sectors.  Actually, the sector numbers were rolling along,
   but the drive's head positioning actuator was NOT moving.  Then the
   actuator moved about 25% of the way in (like a seek); then about 50%, etc.
   There is no way the format program could be checking the drive properly
   with this kind of head movement.  My drive's head actuator is fully visible
   which is how I noticed this anomaly.
2. Every time I format a drive with HDX 3.01, I ALWAYS get the message which
   tells me I have 8 bad sectors (no more, no less).  Any ideas?

I recently obtained HDX 3.02 (actually, just the formatter).  Apparently,
only the formatter changed in this version.  Is this the case?  Can you
tell me if the formatter was re-issued to cover the above situations? Or,
was it re-issued for other reasons?

Thanks,
Pierre Fortin

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (11/13/89)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>SYTANG@CSUGREEN.BITNET (SHOOU-YU TANG,PHYSICS DEPT,CSU,303-491-6372) writes:

>>Local BBS has a file called HDX301.ARC which suppose to have the newest Atari
>>hard drive software HDX 3.01. And the doc. file stated this should be 3.01,
>>but when run the Installer and look under the Info one get version 3.00.
>>    Is this right?

>Yes.  The only part which has the version number 3.01 is the driver,
>called AHDI.PRG when it's in the AUTO folder of the floppy, called
>SHDRIVER.RAW in the HINSTALL directory, and called SHDRIVER.SYS when
>it's instlled on your hard disk.  For everything else, 3.00 is right
>and fine.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

Does the discussion above mean that HDX 3.00
is freely distributable via BBSes.
If so, where can I get it if I don't
have access to these BBSes? Could it be
posted to binaries.atari.st?
Or was it already posted there?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Another question: is TOS1.4 EVER going to be distributed in the
form of 1MBit ROMS (which can easily be inserted into yon
Mega ST without having to scratch around on the motherboard,
change MMUs and TTL drivers and all that useless effort)? Or
will it remain forever in the form of 6 Eproms/Proms/Roms. What
about people with a motherboard that doesn't have room for 6
ROMS?

Any info on this would also be appreciated.

So long, netland

Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad