[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 release notes arrived

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (11/12/89)

I'd like to thank Atari publicly for getting the Rainbow TOS release notes
to registered developers (or at least to this one).  Nice meaty stuff, with
a fair amount of example code.  Came with a 3-ring binder.  A much-appreciated
early Christmas present.
                                     Steve J.

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (11/13/89)

In article <1989Nov12.070610.4467@chinet.chi.il.us>, saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
> I'd like to thank Atari publicly for getting the Rainbow TOS release notes
> to registered developers (or at least to this one).  Nice meaty stuff, with
> a fair amount of example code.  Came with a 3-ring binder.  A much-appreciated
> early Christmas present.
>                                      Steve J.

Well, as usual, the Atari Canada folks are showing their skin-flint nature
if this posting is typical of US developers.  Here in Canada, all we are
getting from Atari Canada is a set of VERY BAD photocopies with TWO pages
per single sided sheet. Yes, that makes each page a WHOPPING 5.5"X4".

We need magnifying glasses and have to be quite skillful at reading within
context as most of the stuff is illegible.

Sounds like Atari US is beginning to provide better support for its registered
developers.  Now if we could only get Atari Canada to straighten out their
act, things would start looking up.

Cheers,
Pierre
(The eternal optimist; but reality in this case is like a 9-iron to the temple)

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (11/13/89)

In article <1989Nov12.070610.4467@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>I'd like to thank Atari publicly for getting the Rainbow TOS release notes
>to registered developers (or at least to this one).  Nice meaty stuff, with
>a fair amount of example code.  Came with a 3-ring binder.  A much-appreciated
>early Christmas present.
>                                     Steve J.

i guess santa claus only lives in the states! we here at electrohome finally
received our TOS 1.4 upgrade, with the rainbow tos upgrade notes. no 3 ring
binder. in fact, the notes were bloody PHOTOCOPIES, which had poor contrast,
and were shrunk down 60% to boot!!!!!!!!!! like, get your buns in gear
atari. we didn't pay ~100 dollars for stupid photocopies which are hardly
readable in the first place. the whole developer kit was a complete
shambles (it came totally messed up inside an atari 800XL box!!!!!!!), with
no binders, and no order to the notes. plus, most of the stuff was vintage
1985/86 notes, with no info on tos 1.2 changes, etc.

in all, the developer stuff is VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. i'm glad the company
paid for the travesty, not myself. its too bad, because everyone here at
electrohome is very impressed with the power and capabilities of the ST, but
not with the support atari gives it.

also, it would be very nice (hint hint) if Ken B. and co. would mail out
to all registered owners an official document concerning the extended argument
passing scheme posted to the net a couple of days ago. i've taken that note
and formatted into a somewhat professional looking document, but that still
doesn't get atari off the hook for not releasing official stuff to its
developers. and where are these newsletters???

anyways, back to programming the ST. i'd never leave this environment for
anything (ok, maybe a Sun or Apollo), especially the MSDOS/OS2 and Apple
world.

cheers.

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!