[comp.sys.atari.st] Don't Buy From tech spcialities

d_alvear@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dom Alvear) (11/13/89)

In article <89110911304412B.CKBC@RAI.CC.FSU.EDU> BAILEYS@FSU.BITNET (NOLES #1) writes:

>thought I would share this with y'all.  I received some neato junkmail
>about a month ago from an outfit in Texas called Tech Specialties.  As

Junk mail is a good term for this catalogue!!!

>far as I can tell, they are an ST only group, and they print a damn nice
>catalog.  Offered within are:
>
>        1.  Various memory upgrades, seperated by different versions of
>            ST models.

I bought TWO (2) of their memory upgrades for my 520ST, and they
DIDN'T work!  It seems the instructions for installation were
misprinted, and the owner wouldn't (or didn't know) tell me!

>        4.  CPU cases, in various formats.

CPU Cases...Ah that's a joke.  They sent me a so-called CPU case, and
it was a nightmare.  It took over SIX MONTHS (from Dec. '88 to July '89)
for me to get the cases in working condition, and I STILL DON'T HAVE
EVERYTHING PROMISED!

> In refference to number 4, these guys are offering an upgrade to 1040's and
>520's in which you can get the motherboard and drive put into a METAL case,
>similar in size to the Mega's (with more room for expansion), and put the
>keyboard into another case, and connect the two, thus having a sexy two
>piece computer (an alternative to getting a Mega, if you are so inclined).
>The keyboard case is roughly the same size as a Mega's, and uses the
>original keyboard from the 1040/520.  Pretty neat!

Neat?  No way!  The keyboard case is made of folded metal with a cut
top from a 520 or 1040 (depends on your machine).  I bought two CPU
cases with all the trimmings, and the 1040 keyboard case is a piece of
junk.  Not only is the keyboard case top cut crookedly, but the
keyboard sends out spurious signals because t*s didn't use all the lines!!!

>Another thing I liked was the info printed within the catalog.  They did a
>good job explaining why they designed there stuff the way they did, and I
>learned quite a bit about both memory boards and HD's from it.  There
>(whoops)  Their address is:
>
>      Tech Specialties
>      909 Crosstimbers Street
>      Houston, TX  77022
>      Tel: (713) 691-4527/8  Fax:  (713) 691-7009

If you want to really learn about HD's read the Dave Small articles in
START or get the HD/ToadFile Info Files from TOAD Computers: (301) 544-6943.
It's funny, but I have tech*spec's number memorized because I've had
to call them up so many times to TRY (and fail) to get everything promised.

>My catalog is dated 02-13-89, hope these guys are still around.  I heartiy
>recommend getting this catalog, just the info it contains is worth a stamp.

Yeah, they're still around, but if they keep up the good work (hah!!!)
they won't be for long.

>Bob Marley
>
>Disclaimer:  I am in no way connected with Tech Specialties.  I haven't
>             even bought anything from them, but would damn sure like to!

I wouldn't buy anything from them ever again, and I wouldn't recommend
them to anybody.  (Not even somebody I didn't like...)

Dom Alvear

P.S.  I am not connected with tech specialities or Toad Computers
(although I'd like to be connected with TOAD).  I am just a user who's
been used and abused by a BAD ST developer.

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (11/14/89)

>I bought TWO (2) of their memory upgrades for my 520ST, and they
>DIDN'T work!  It seems the instructions for installation were
>misprinted, and the owner wouldn't (or didn't know) tell me!

Did you ever get your memory upgrade to work?  I purchased a 520A board
several monthes ago but only recently bought some 1meg chips.  When installing
the chips I noticed the misprint in the instructions.  Do you have the rest
of the instructions?

I haven't attempted to put the board in the machine yet (no time...), but it
didn't look that hard.  Is there anything I should know about that's missing
from the misprinted instructions?  I'm also going to contact those jokers
at tech-specialties to see what they have to say.

At the same time I bought the memory board, I purchased a hard disc.  Didn't
work at first, but after removing and reattaching all the connectors, it did.
I get write errors every once in a while, but it has worked fairly well.

I'd like to hear more stories if you have some.

-Bob

 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
| Bob Waltenspiel                   | e-mail: bobw@hpsad (hplabs!hpsad!..)    |
| ATE Software Team                 | Telnet: 794-3091                        |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | AT&T: (707) 794-3091                    |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HPDesk: Bob WALTENSPIEL/HP5300/A0       |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                      |

This goes along with another belief of mine: that everyone else my age
is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

					Margaret Atwood
					"Cat's Eye"