[comp.sys.atari.st] TEX files!?

JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J. Lehett) (11/13/89)

    I am running a 1 meg 520 ST with 2 single sided drives....
I have a number of TEX files which I wish to view, and the are
labeled as xxxx.TEX.  Can someone explain the necessary programs and
all that will allow me to do this?  I simply want to read these files!
Anyweays, I have messed with some DVI progs and all...but need
more explicit info I guess, as I have had no success!

   Thanks in advance!
-------
*       J.J.        *             JJL101@psuvm.bitnet              *
*                   *            Penn State University             *
*    John Lehett    *          Computational Mathematics           *

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (11/14/89)

In article <89317.044722JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET>, JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J.
writes:

>     I am running a 1 meg 520 ST with 2 single sided drives....
> I have a number of TEX files which I wish to view, and the are
> labeled as xxxx.TEX.  Can someone explain the necessary programs and
> all that will allow me to do this?  I simply want to read these files!
> Anyweays, I have messed with some DVI progs and all...but need
> more explicit info I guess, as I have had no success!

You need to run the .TEX files through TeX and then use a DVI viewer
to view the the resulting .DVI files. If you need more information on
TeX, you might post to comp.text ...

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (11/14/89)

In article <89317.044722JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET> JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J. Lehett) writes:

>    I am running a 1 meg 520 ST with 2 single sided drives....
>I have a number of TEX files which I wish to view, and the are
>labeled as xxxx.TEX.  Can someone explain the necessary programs and
>all that will allow me to do this?  I simply want to read these files!
>Anyweays, I have messed with some DVI progs and all...but need
>more explicit info I guess, as I have had no success!

If you just want to read those files on screen, you can do that with your
text editor. xxxxx.TEX -files are pure ASCII text (+ some commands you can
ignore).
If you want to use TeX to greate xxxx.DVI -files, you are in trouble.
1 meg is enough to run TeX but 2 ss drives sounds really bad... I have
ST-TeX on my 20 meg HD and it eats about 6.5 megs. (OK I know I have rather
heavily loaded system but anyway.) In ST-TeX manual it says something like:
"A wizand can make ST-TeX run with a double sided drive" and I would like
to add: "but it will be really painfull".

Things you need to run TeX are:

   1) program called TEX.TTP
   2) format files like PLAIN.FMT and LPLAIN.FMT  (first one is for plain TeX
      and the second one is for LaTeX).
   3) font files like CMR10.TFM (the number of xxx.TFM files you need depends
      on text you have).
   4) DVi-dirver (for screen called Previewer).
   5) pixel files like CMR10.PK (or CMR10.PXL). PK's are packed so the need
      less disk space.

I think all the programs and other files you can find for example from
Terminator archive.

Hope this helps!  and GOOD LUCK (You'll need that with those ss drives  B-)

Timo
--
Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
Disclaimer: The text above is from my left brain cell. The right one is for