[comp.sys.atari.st] TT, TT030/2, STE

news@laas.laas.fr (USENET News System) (11/13/89)

In article <4062.255748c1@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) writes:

|     ---> The 1040 should be phased out during March/April 1990 and replaced
|  by the once called "ST Plus" or "Enhanced ST", now called 1040STE.  The
|  STE will include 1MbRam, fast hardware scrolling, 4096 colour palette,
|  8-bit stero PCM sound, TOS1.4 operating system, and four SIMM (single in
|  line memory module) for easy expansion to 4Mb."

Just a slight correction.  According to local full-color adds, by
Atari-France, for the STE, it will come with 512k RAM.  It's
advertised as the 520 STE!

Them's my two bits worth.  :-)

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson

mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (11/14/89)

/* acf5:comp.sys.atari.st / depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) / 11:19 pm  Nov 13, 1989 */
>In article <1783@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>>ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>>>The strange thing is that i have a hard time believing that i
>>>am still considering buying an 030 that won't multitask all that
>>>niffty GEM software i have on my drive.
>
>>What I'm trying to say is THIS IS NOT EASY.  It's not even Moderately
>>Difficult.  This is A Hard Problem.  The presence of a 68030 doesn't
>>make it any easier.
>>

>It is for the same reasons that OS/2 isn't compatible with dos. ...

OS/2 286 allows one DOS compatibility window within OS/2.
OS/2 386 will allow any number of DOS compatibility windows within OS/2.

>Does anyone know how the hell Macintosh managed to make all their programs
>work with multidesk (or was multitasking always supported on the Mac?
>Please don't flame me if this is very common knowledge - my hatred for
>Apple runs so deep that I haven't even touched one until quite recently...)

I am not flaming you, but it IS kommon knowledge. With HARD WORK!
Like the people which wrote OS/2, Microsoft Windows, Desqview ...
Mind you, I am not saying Atari people don't work hard. The contrary.
But they seem to be too few to handle a project of this size.

I guess there are other departments (ie PC compatibles, game machines)
which have more need of Atari's employees.

Thanasis

"If you pray hard enough, water will run uphill. How Hard?
 Why, hard enough to make water run uphill, of cource!"      R. A. Heinlein

Internet: mitsolid@csd2.nyu.edu	         (mitsolid%csd2.nyu.edu@relay.cs.net)
UUCP    : ...!uunet!cmcl2!csd2!mitsolid