[comp.sys.atari.st] European software purchase procedure from the U.S.A.

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (11/08/89)

    With the arrival of European ST magazines in the U.S., a Stateside
STer cannot help but marvel over the ST software and hardware in
Europe.  How I wish that our selections of peripherals and programs
could approach that of Europe's.
    Many of the European ads offer to sell product internationally
but don't give the procedure:  1) Do we convert $$$ to European currency?
2) Is there an airmail option rather than ocean mail? 3) Is there an
internation reply coupon option?
    Secondly, what about American duty charges?
    Finally, why is it that the more polished European ST magazines
are CHEAPER than the U.S. magazines?  Example, the U.S. STart Magazine
costs $14.95 with diskette.  The British ST magazine, Atari ST User
costs $7.97 with diskette from my dealer.  Even with duty, if charged,
the cost to me is 50% less than the American magazine with diskette.
I'd assume that advertising is the key, lowering ST User's cost.
    At any rate, it is great seeing European magazines here in the
STates at a regular basis.  I only wish that [CENSOR...ATARI BASH...CENSOR]..

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (11/13/89)

In article <891108.09364408.070835@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
>    Many of the European ads offer to sell product internationally
>but don't give the procedure:  1) Do we convert $$$ to European currency?
>2) Is there an airmail option rather than ocean mail? 3) Is there an
>internation reply coupon option?

You should write to them and ask.  The answers are (1) probably, (2)
probably, and (3) probably not.  Sure worked for me (in the opposite
direction) in dealing with the Smithsonian mail-order shop and with
L.L.Bean.  Though I've probably got an edge since I still have a
checking account in my Boston bank.

>    Secondly, what about American duty charges?

You pay them.  If duty is due, you'll have to pick up the package in
person at the Post Office where they will collect the duty.  (Sometimes
this seems to get ignored for smallish packages, depends how lucky you
are.)

>    Finally, why is it that the more polished European ST magazines
>are CHEAPER than the U.S. magazines?

Probably to compensate us for the fact that the hardware tends to be
more expensive. :-)  Actually, it's probably just competition.  There
are probably about 10 ST-specific mags in the UK, plus of course other
'general computing' mags which give the ST more or less cover.  The
population of the UK is on the order of 50 million (not all of whom own
ST's :-).  In short, there are a lot of mags fighting for a share of a
small market.

--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (11/14/89)

Speaking of European Software...

Has anyone else used STOS Basic?

I would like to know how it ranks with Hisoft and GFA 3.0...

I just picked it up because I like the COVER of the box...

The package is one of the best I have ever seen to my atari line of
computers.... (atari 400 through atari 1040st)

I am also interested in the compiler for STOS basic.. I had it in my hands
also, but I decided that I would rather wait and see if the basic was worth
it.  I am sorry that I did not get it immediately.

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''

igp@camcon.co.uk (Ian Phillipps) (11/15/89)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:

>In article <891108.09364408.070835@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

>>    Many of the European ads offer to sell product internationally
>>but don't give the procedure:  1) Do we convert $$$ to European currency?
>>2) Is there an airmail option rather than ocean mail? 3) Is there an
>>internation reply coupon option?

>You should write to them and ask.  The answers are (1) probably, (2)
>probably, and (3) probably not.

Most mail-order places in UK (not necessarily Germany) will take Visa/Mastercard
who generally give good exchange rates, and no hassle.
--
UUCP:  igp@camcon.co.uk   | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------