[comp.sys.atari.st] You think it was easy under OS/2?

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (11/15/89)

In article <12430011@acf5.NYU.EDU> mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) writes:
[ responding to claim that compatibility is tough...]

>OS/2 286 allows one DOS compatibility window within OS/2.
>OS/2 386 will allow any number of DOS compatibility windows within OS/2.

Actually, these compatibility boxes aren't fully compatible. Among
other things, they drop fast interrupts. And since most applications
using the serial port have their own drivers instead of using the
BIOS drivers, this is a big problem.

The compatibility box also has a big advantage that comes from an
earlier limitation. A PC expects to have 640k of memory. An ST can
have up to 4 megs. So if your single-tasking program is making the
stupid assumption that nobody else can allocate memory... OS/2 can fix
it by giving it the full 640k, while a multitasking TOS can't.

Remember Juggler on the Mac? It had an interesting solution to the
problem, but you had to give it a hint of how much memory to
tell each program it had.

>>Does anyone know how the hell Macintosh managed to make all their programs
>>work with multidesk (or was multitasking always supported on the Mac?

>I am not flaming you, but it IS kommon knowledge. With HARD WORK!

Actually, they did it be slowly changing and adding to the "rules"
for writing applications. Haven't you noticed the occasional screams
when a new release of the Mac OS breaks existing programs from big-name
software houses? However, most Mac programs have good support and the
companies immediately go out and fix them. If Atari produced a
multitasking system that required a bunch of litle changes to almost
all programs, how much chaos would result?

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                  Astrophysicists for Choice.