[comp.sys.atari.st] How long is your Atari???

MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (11/14/89)

Atari has problems, and I accept that the OS of the future is Unix with
a graphic interface, and not the Mac OS, the Amiga OS, the ST OS, or
(thank god for her good grace) MeSsyDOS or OS/2.

Some of the people on this net seem concerned that other people have
computers with more impressive numbers than the ST. Oh oh. It's just
like the "My car/bank account/penis is bigger than yours" syndrome so
common in a certain country famous for its big cars.

Face it, TOS is not going to become anything else. Like the Mac, Amy,
and Pretty Cruddy clones, it is bound by a large software base which
expects a fairly simple type of operation. If you want more than TOS,
buy more than TOS.

But do not leave us in suspense. Come back to the newsgroup some day
and tell us how many Mhz/MIPS LONG your new computer is. I promise that
we will all feel emasticated/emammicated (after all, women are self-
concious about breast size too).

       David Megginson, Centre for Medieval Studies, Toronto

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (11/16/89)

In article <89Nov14.085305est.57530@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:
>Atari has problems, and I accept that the OS of the future is Unix with
>But do not leave us in suspense. Come back to the newsgroup some day
>and tell us how many Mhz/MIPS LONG your new computer is. I promise that
>we will all feel emasticated/emammicated (after all, women are self-
>concious about breast size too).
>

>       David Megginson, Centre for Medieval Studies, Toronto

I think you mean "emasculated".... unless
you are talking about being deprived of
chewing.   On what, i don't know?

Anyhow, I think the main point in all this Atari bashing,
and i certainly have been rather indecorous in that department,
is a manifestation of frustration with and bitterness towards
the Atari COMPANY.  Some of us depend on Atari for our livelihood.
Some of us have spent x dollars investing in Atari hardware, software
and so on with the expectation that the future would be bright and
that Atari would provide most of those great products coming out of
R & D.  Those expectations resulted from an auspicious start with
the ST in 1985 and from "talk" about the new and up and coming
products.  So, it isn't simply the scenerio of a kid and his toys.
I keep hearing: " Well, if you don't like Atari, go buy an X..."
Tell me, is this the way Atari is going to compete in the
the business world?  Hell no!  If Atari is to compete in the business
world, people in business have to be using Atari's.  Rather simple.
Frankly, our hopes are being dashed and our business sense is telling
us it is time to make changes.  May just have to buy that "longer"
computer after all and masticate on the losses from my Atari investment
in hopes that i may someday digest them.

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu