[comp.sys.atari.st] NeXT

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (11/15/89)

In article <17300@rpp386.cactus.org> mark@rpp386.UUCP (Mark Lehmann) writes:
>Don't forget that the NeXT uses the optical storage disk.  That has to
>slow it down terribly.  I know that an 800Mb 28ms drive is available, but it
>seems kind of silly to have both forms of media in the computer.  Especially
>if the optical drive available is only 550Mb.  It would probably be much
>better if the NeXT were to come with an 800Mb hard drive as the default
>drive and use the Optical Drive just for removeable storage.  An entire
>Licensed Program Product would be available on one disk then and the ussual
>UNIX installation and upgrading nightmare would be avoided.

I think the optical drive holds 256Mb per cartridge, and that the hard-drives
are 600Mb (or perhaps 660?).  In any case, I believe NeXT just announced that
it will now put fast 40Mb (non-optical) paging drives on all cubes.  In fact,
I believe they're offering the 40Mb drive to current owners at no charge.
This is expected to make a big difference in optical-only system (i.e.: cubes
which don't have the 600Mb drive) performance.

Check out comp.sys.next for the full & accurate scoop.

(I don't own a NeXT.  Heck, I've never even SEEN one.  I'm just an interested
watcher from the sidelines.)
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

mark@rpp386.cactus.org (Mark Lehmann) (11/16/89)

>Check out comp.sys.next for the full & accurate scoop.
>
>(I don't own a NeXT.  Heck, I've never even SEEN one.  I'm just an interested
>watcher from the sidelines.)

Thanks for the information, Steve.  I have heard rumors about the hard drive
being installed in every cube, but I couldn't find a reliable source.  I'll
check out comp.sys.next.

By the way,  I have seen the NeXT.  It was at a computer show in Austin Tx.
The sales representative was from an Apple background and really didn't
know the technical background of the computer, just the names of the software
that the store he represented sold, which was just the operating system.

The Next took a seemingly endless time booting.  The optical drive seemed
to really drag.  Over all, I wasn't impressed with the machine because of
the demonstrator and because of the slow drive access.  I got so board,
that I started to talk to a salesman selling Bottled water for healthy
computer office environments.  I won't judge NeXT on that demonstration,
though.  I think it was just a bad environment for that machine.

Mark Lehmann :>
--
| Mark Lehmann                       |                                   |