[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari magazines

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (11/12/88)

> Another side note:   I've now noticed that Antic Software is publishing
> AMIGA SOFTWARE.  What does "Antic - The Atari Resource" have to say for
> themselves now, I wonder?
> --
> David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)

I was in the local book/magazine store (B. Dalton) at lunch.  I saw a
Premier issue of a video game magazine and picked it up to look through
it.  It is dedicated to the Sega, Nintendo and Atari game systems.  As
I looked down the table of contents, I said to myself "boy, these names
sure look familiar".  Thinking about if for about 10 seconds, I said "I
know why these names sound familiar.  They are all the names from Analog
magazine".  Apparently, Atari magazines have to diversify or die.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (11/15/89)

In article <23991@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Maybe you're easily satisfied with the three or four Atari magazines that
>are left in the market...   unfortunately, you've got to cross ANALOG and
>ST-LOG off your list, since Atari Corp's capricious treatment of the US
>marketplace has forced ANALOG out of business after many years of trying to
>support Atari.

I don't think you can really blame Atari for ANALOG's problems.  (I thought
someone recently said here that they've simply gone to a "one title, mostly
ST-oriented" magazine.  I don't think they're dead, are they?)  I talked to
the people at ANALOG several times when they were based out this'a'way a few
years ago, and they seemed rather, well, disinterested in growing or taking
any risks at all.

Tom Hudson, who was technical editor at ANALOG for some time, wrote a good
deal of DEGAS while there (I was told).  I was given the impression that Tom
had tried to interest ANALOG in promoting DEGAS.  They weren't interested,
Tom left, and DEGAS quickly went on to become a best-seller for Batteries
Included (who has since folded, true -- but at the time the ST market looked
a lot brighter).

The editors at ANALOG also pointed to the START/ANTIC software line with
great derision, saying that "people have tried to interest us in this sort
of thing, but ANALOG won't do it" (I suppose because of the questionable
morality of reviewing your own wares, and I must admit I think START has an
abysmal record on that score).  Well, laugh -- but I'm sure ANTIC makes
money doing so, and promotes their magazine with every software sale.  It
needn't have been handled as badly at ANALOG.

One day they mentioned that Optimized Systems Software was "shopping around
for a buyer for their ST product-line", and had (they said) "contacted us".
At the time, Personal Pascal was selling at least middling well.  You guessed
it -- "not interested".

Who knows -- perhaps they did the prudent thing every time.  I suppose it's
easy for me to say they should've taken more risks when it wasn't MY $$$
at stake.  And none of the magazines can do much about the crappy U.S. ST
market, I know.  But I can't imagine "getting ahead" without taking a few
gambles.  They were nice people, but they seemed more interested in going
to Star Trek conventions & talking SF than in the future of their magazine.
Just my opinion, and based on happenings in the 1986-87 time-frame.  I've no
idea what ANALOG is doing these days, though I wish them well.  I was sad to
see them move out of Worcester.

>The point is, magazine publishing is NOT an altruistic profession.. Atari
>Corp is playing with people's lives and livelihoods with their game playing.
>Who can afford to support a company like Atari when it becomes a decision
>between blindly supporting Atari, or eating..?

Well, ANTIC has begun moving into the Amiga market, but I don't see them
dropping Atari coverage ( don't know whether to :-( or to :-).  ANTIC is
SOOOOO obscenely gung-ho Atari! that I took everything I read therein with
large salt-blocks (the kind farmers put out for their cattle) anyway.
My own favorite U.S. ST magazine (never read any from Europe) was CURRENT
NOTES; the "newsletter" from a Virginia-based Atari user's group (WAACE?).
Much more objectivity than START/ANTIC/ANALOG, I thought.  It wasn't easy
to find around here, though.

I wonder; do people revile T.I. for the failure of the 99/4 to grab the home
market?  Or Exidy for the Sorcerer?  Or Kodak for the disc-camera?  Someday,
I'll bet someone does a thesis of market-psychology with the Atari ST as a
case-study...

--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

AIN1496E@merrimack.edu (David E. Sheafer) (11/15/89)

In article <46d59652.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
> [...]
> SOOOOO obscenely gung-ho Atari! that I took everything I read therein with
> large salt-blocks (the kind farmers put out for their cattle) anyway.
> My own favorite U.S. ST magazine (never read any from Europe) was CURRENT
> NOTES; the "newsletter" from a Virginia-based Atari user's group (WAACE?).
> Much more objectivity than START/ANTIC/ANALOG, I thought.  It wasn't easy
> to find around here, though.
>
> I wonder; do people revile T.I. for the failure of the 99/4 to grab the home
> market?  Or Exidy for the Sorcerer?  Or Kodak for the disc-camera?  Someday,
> I'll bet someone does a thesis of market-psychology with the Atari ST as a
> case-study...
>
> --
>>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
>    "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

  Just wanted to let you know that Analog/stlog is not going to publish after
the december issue, they have decided to cease publication, it really is to bad
as the new dual format was done nicely

rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/16/89)

Somebody writes:

  Just wanted to let you know that Analog/stlog is not going to publish after
the december issue, they have decided to cease publication, it really is to bad
as the new dual format was done nicely
/* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */

	The October issue of ST-LOG definately says differently.  It clearly
states a combined Analog Computing magazine is being formed.  I guess this
has this changed since the October 1989 (issue 36) ST-LOG?
	Where did this information come from, and when ?  If true, they
sure didn't give it much time to catch on :)

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (11/16/89)

Again, in the latest issue's editorial the editor goes out of his way
to say that Analog will in fact keep publishing, but analog and ST-log
will be combined (as it is in this iss is does anyone have the real
story ? Are they staying in business or not ?

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

AIN1496E@merrimack.edu (DAVID E. SHEAFER) (11/17/89)

In article <46300073@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu>, rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Somebody (thats me) writes:
>
>   Just wanted to let you know that Analog/stlog is not going to publish after
> the december issue, they have decided to cease publication, it really is to bad
> as the new dual format was done nicely
> /* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */
>
> 	The October issue of ST-LOG definately says differently.  It clearly
> states a combined Analog Computing magazine is being formed.  I guess this
> has this changed since the October 1989 (issue 36) ST-LOG?
> 	Where did this information come from, and when ?  If true, they
> sure didn't give it much time to catch on :)

        I heard this rumour so I sent email to Art Leyenberger, one of the
  people involved in Analog, and he said that the rumour was true and that
even though they did the dual format, that Larry Flint (the owner of Analog)
decided that the December issue would be the last for Analog/Stlog.