[comp.sys.atari.st] European Atari Magazines

sbrown@bgsuvax.UUCP (Scott F. Brown) (11/18/89)

	With all the talk about the quality of European magazines as compared
to American magazines(which I always thought sucked) I was wondering if anyone
could post a list of magazines availible.  This list should contain all the
information neccessary to get a subscription.  I am personally interested in
any UK or German magazine.  My German isn't that good but should be good
enough to understand the magazines.  Thanks in advance.

* 	- The people of the earth stood waiting                              *
*	  Watching as the ships came one by one                              *
*	  Setting fire to the sky as they landed                             *
*	  Carrying to the world Children of the Sun                          *
*	Billy Thorpe                                                         *
*                                                                            *
*        					-Scott F. Brown              *
*                                                                            *
*                                              sbrown@andy.bgsu.edu.uucp     *
>any UK or German magazine.  My German isn't that good but should be good
>enough to understand the magazines.  Thanks in advance.

While I don't know the details for any of the paper-based magazines from
Europe, I _can_ give you information on a disk-based magazine from Europe,
called ST News.

The latest issue, volume 4 number 4, contains a lot of text resulting from
a 3-week tour the editors made of England's software houses (and some other
programmers in England).  It also has about 30 minutes of computer music AND
4 demo programs (as well a couple of graphics ...)  One of the demos is a
4-voice digital synth, another is from the designer of Tower Topple (I *think*
that's the U.S. version title) -- a "preview" of another game the programmer
is working on.

Generally, articles on the disk include reviews of European software, hints
for some adventure games, and minor to major technical articles on programming
-- for example, the past 4 or 5 issues included tips on including music
in programs and working with some of the graphics that are used to create
demos.

There isn't a subscription, per se.  I arranged with the editors to provide
copies of ST News to folks in the U.S.A., and have all back-issues currently
available.  I've posted the information several times in various places, but
have never seen much response.

Anyway, to get the latest issue (the 25th "anniversary" issue, vol. 4, no. 4),
you can send a blank double-sided disk and a STAMPED, self-addressed envelope
to:
	David Paschall-Zimbel, P.O. Box 13038, Minneapolis, MN  55414

If you prefer, our local user group will send you a disk (and notify you when
the next issue is available) for $3.00.   Part of the money pays for the disk
and postage, and the rest is split 50/50 with the editors of ST News to
compensate for the expenses they have in producing the disk in the first
place.

-- David Paschall-Zimbel