[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari TT Block Diagram

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (11/14/89)

     Here  is  a bit of information extracted from the  ST  Report
Magazine  which sheds some well needed light on the state  of  the
Atari  TT.   The spec's have been listed  elsewhere,  however  the
block diagram of the TT inards are very interesting!

 > TT - TT/X STR Tech Notes       BLOCK DIAGRAM - FUNCTIONS - FEATURES

               - 16 Mhz Motorola 68030 full 32 bit microprocessor
               - Optional math co-processor MC68881/68882 Floating Point.

               - 2 mb or, 4 to 16mb of RAM

               - 512 Kb of ROM in 4 1mb chips

               - 1.44 Mb 3.5" floppy drive, will handle 2 drives
                 WD 1772/2793 controller.

               - VME bus Eurocard expansion
                    [ TT ]  - 1 single slot
                    [ TTX ] - 5 slots

               - ACSI internal bus with external connector for expansion
               - SCSI internal bus with external connector for expansion

          - Serial ports:
            ------------
               - 2 asynchronous RS-232 ports    68901 MFP
               -  2  asynchronous/synchronous  RS-232  ports  (Appletalk or
                 PromiseLAN)  Zilog 8530 SCC

               - Parallel port  Yamaha YM-2149

               - MIDI in/out ports

               - Keyboard port  (including mouse and joystick)

               - Digital 8 bit stereo sound
               - Stereo audio output jack

               Monitor output (6 modes): RGB and Monochrome
         VGA monitor for colour modes, special monochrome monitor

     Video modes:
     -----------
                Resolution      Colours      Palette
                ==========      =======      =======
                320x200         16            4096
                320x480         256           4096
                640x200         4             4096
                640x400           "Duochrome"
                640x480         16            4096
                1280x960           Monochrome

          - Battery backed Time/Date clock and 50 byte RAM
                    - 145 watt power supply
                              - Desktop packaging

          - Operating systems
                - ST TOS                      - Unix V Release 3.1

     Further, Atari added (verbally) that the  co-processor was  the 16 Mhz
 68881 (just plug in the chip, for the small TT it is included in the TTX),
 the digital sound was the same as that in the  new 1040STE  (enhanced 4096
 colors etc.),  and joystick  ports would support current joysticks and the
 new 15 pin analog joysticks (both  machines).   Also, expect  to hear more
 about "Demand Paging Memory Management" (Unix), GLS, X-Windows

                                 BAD NEWS:

     The monitors will be proprietry as the STs are.(ie NO EASY WAY TO HOOK
     UP A MULTISYNC) although if you could get a cable/connector  it should
     be easy to setup.

 TWO MODELS:
 ===========

     TT
     ==
         - A  desktop version in an AT style case w/30mb Hard Disk (limited
           expandability) 1 VME Bus slot A24/D16  Eurocard
         - ABSOLUTELY NO UNIX ON THIS VERSION.  This version will be
           released first....  sometime around  the end of October 1989 and
           mid November.

     TTX
     ===
         - A Tower configuration w/60mb Hard Disk,   Multiple hard  drive -
           floppy - optical drive bays (3+) Will support both TOS and Unix.

         - 5 VME Bus expansion slots; A32/D32 - A24/D16 - A16/D16  Eurocard

         - Unix  will be  a separate  release Item  (as per STart interview
           with Sam T.)

         - TTX Release dates not set but will be during 1990.

 Nota Bene;
     To be expected, there will be some unavoidable  compatibility problems
     but, Atari is taking all the neecessary steps to maintain an extremely
     high level of downward compatibility with existing software.

 > TT - TT/X STR Tech Notes       BLOCK DIAGRAM - FUNCTIONS - FEATURES
   ========================
                                                  _____________ _______
                                                  Midi in/out  mouse
                                                  ------------  Joystk
                                                       #        -------
                                                       #           #
  __________     ___________     _____________     _________   _________
  MC 68030     ROM 512kb     MC 1468 18a    6850 ACIA 6850 ACIA
   16mhz       4 x 1mbit                     ---------   ---------
  ----------     -----------     -------------         #           #
      #               #               #                #           #
      #                       #     _______________      ____________
  ____________                ##### Yamaha YM2149 ____ Centronics
  MC 68881/2                #     Sound Chip    __    Parallel
   16 mhz       __________  #     ---------------_    ------------
  ------------  _  ST DMA   #  __________________      ______________
  ___________     "ACSI"  ##  Dual Purpose RAM  ---- Drive Select
  ACSI port -   ----------  #  2 mb 64 bits wide      --------------
  -----------                #  ------------------
  ___________   _____________ #     ______________        _______________
  Flop port   flop contrl #     Memory Cntrl        Stereo Audio
  1mb - 2mb - WD 1772/2793#     --------------        ---------------
  -----------   ------------- #  ________
             _________        ## FUNNEL --------   _______________
             TT glue ########  --------_       __ Sound Shifter
             ---------        #  ________            ---------------
  ___________     ______      ## FUNNEL --------___  _______   _______
  SCSI port     SCSI      #  --------            - VIDEO - Video
  25 pin "D"###Cntrol######    ______________      Shifter   out
  -----------     ------      #### MCS 8901 MFP __    -------   -------
                              #     2.4576 mhz       _______________
                              #    --------------   -- RS 232 Async.
                              #                        ---------------
                              #    ______________ __   _______________
                              #    MCS 8901 MFP   -- RS 232 Async.
                              #     2.4576 mhz       ---------------
                              #    --------------      ________________
                              #                     --Ext. Interrupts
                              #                         ----------------
  _________   ______________  #  _____________         __________________
  VME Bus     VME - Bus   ## NIBBLE Mode #######  Sys. Ram Option
  System  #    R32/D32   ##  Memory Cntr           4 - 16 mb Dram
  ---------      R24/D32    #  -------------         ------------------
                 R24/D16    #
              --------------  ####  _____________     ___________________
                                 #  "A" Channel -+- RS 232 Serial 25p
                                 # -------------  -------------------
                                 ##8530 SCC DMA  _    LAN Systems
                                   -------------   -------------------
                                    "B" Channel ---  RS 232 Async 9p
                                    -------------     -------------------

Ah-hah! So, the WD1772/2793 is the magic part number, eh? What'll it
take to put one of these in an ST for 1.4MB floppy capability? Does
anyone here have access to Western Digital folks for pinouts & other
specs for this chip?
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (11/16/89)

In article <8911150802.AA02649@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:

# > TT - TT/X STR Tech Notes       BLOCK DIAGRAM - FUNCTIONS - FEATURES
#
#          - Serial ports:
#            ------------
#               - 2 asynchronous RS-232 ports    68901 MFP
#               -  2  asynchronous/synchronous  RS-232  ports  (Appletalk or
#                 PromiseLAN)  Zilog 8530 SCC

Question: Isn't the Zilog 8530 SCC the same chip used by the Mac to do
Appletalk? If so, this is a quite nice chip; it doesn't interrupt every
octet, and it calculates your CRCs for you.

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                  Astrophysicists for Choice.

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (11/18/89)

In article <10132@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>Ah-hah! So, the WD1772/2793 is the magic part number, eh? What'll it
>take to put one of these in an ST for 1.4MB floppy capability? Does
>anyone here have access to Western Digital folks for pinouts & other
>specs for this chip?

Well, You want to have an 1.44 Meg drive for the ST?

It's really easy: just switch the clock frequency of the WD1772 to 16
MHz (taken from the shifter) and attach a high density drive (like the
TEAC FD 235 HFN).

Set the seekrate for the drive to 6 Milliseconds (will become 3 with the
doubled clock).

Format high density disks with my little formatter (posted here).

A high density 5.25 inch drive is possible too. But these have no
automatic HD-recognition...

Works well for me.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Dennis had stepped up into the top seat whet its founder had died of a