[comp.sys.atari.st] External 360k 5.25" floppy

vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu (11/10/89)

I've got a 5.25" floppy w/cable to connect to the ST. How do I get the
ST to use the drive? Is it a TOS porblem (I've got an oldish system
but I don't know what version of TOS - certainly not 1.4) The drive
spins when I access B: even though it asks for a disk in A: so
something is going right.

--
Frank Filz
Center For Integrated Electronics

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (11/11/89)

In article <1989Nov10.062019.19498@rpi.edu> vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu () writes:
>I've got a 5.25" floppy w/cable to connect to the ST. How do I get the
>ST to use the drive? Is it a TOS porblem (I've got an oldish system
>but I don't know what version of TOS - certainly not 1.4) The drive
>spins when I access B: even though it asks for a disk in A: so
>something is going right.

There are a few things you have to do to get it to work:

1) Remove the resistor terminator pack
2) Track down a 150 Ohm resistor that's tied to the +5V line.  This
   resistor brings the voltage down to 2.5V when the drive is called.
   However, the Atari needs it to be 0V.  Replace it with a 1K Ohm
   resistor.
3) Get a copy of the PCF554.PRG program.  You have to slow down
   the access to drive B (the 5.25 inch drive) to 6ms.  It cannot
   reliably access the drive at 3ms.

You'll also have to use a program like DC Format 3.02 to format the
disks.  You cannot format them using the desktop.  Also, you will have
to mess with the different jumper blocks on the board to find the
correct configuration.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: Don't bother,
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        it doesn't work
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu (VICC Project (Rose)) (11/19/89)

In article <1602@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>There are a few things you have to do to get it to work:
>
>1) Remove the resistor terminator pack
ok, easy enough

>2) Track down a 150 Ohm resistor that's tied to the +5V line.  This
>   resistor brings the voltage down to 2.5V when the drive is called.
>   However, the Atari needs it to be 0V.  Replace it with a 1K Ohm
>   resistor.
oh ick!, will it still work for a pc this way?

>3) Get a copy of the PCF554.PRG program.  You have to slow down
>   the access to drive B (the 5.25 inch drive) to 6ms.  It cannot
>   reliably access the drive at 3ms.

where might I find this? If I mailed you a disk and an SSAE to return
it could you give it to me? I have very limited net access (via long
distance so it might be cheaper to do so)

>You'll also have to use a program like DC Format 3.02 to format the
>disks.  You cannot format them using the desktop.  Also, you will have
>to mess with the different jumper blocks on the board to find the
>correct configuration.

Formatting, no problem, the pc across the room will do that! Fiddling
with the jumpers seems not to be a problem.

Thank you greatly for your assistance.

--
Frank Filz
Center For Integrated Electronics
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.