[comp.sys.atari.st] Asst. Dribble....

ehsnsr@JUPITER.NMT.EDU (Eric Hobbs) (11/14/89)

Yup, it's me again!

I have one comment and a few questions:

[COMMENT:]

      Has anyone seen the <<<<COLOR!>>>> ad on page 14 of the November(?) issue
of _Scientific_American_ for the Portfolio? Two pages even!! Looks nice....
Too bad the ST isn't getting those kinds of advertisements.... :-)
 ^^^^^^^^^Believe it or not, that was not a bash. :-)

[Question 1:]

      Is it just my monitor or do all SM124's start to dim out when there is
very little 'white' on the screen?

[Question 2:]

      Where are all these old "29 Oct 89" articles coming from?

OOPS![Another Comment:]

      Is there any particular reason why the person known as "BobR" had to
post a s--tload of articles on his dissatisfaction with Atari. Why not append
them all to one posting so I could 'n' them. Let's face it, I'm sick of hearing
about the faults of Atari. Some people are giving me the impression that Sam
and Jack Tramiel bought Atari for tens of millions of dollars just so they
could lose money on it and drive the corporation into the ground. Somehow that
doesn't strike me as reasonable. Surely they realize that they better get their
acts together, or they will lose the U.S. market. They know it. We as users
know it. So please! Enough with the Atari-bashing. It does no one any good.
Besides, this is a news group for Atari enthusiasts, not bashers. If you want
to bash, start a comp.sys.atari.st.bash. How about this one:
comp.sys.atari.st.bitch.and.complain.I.hate.atari...........

[This entire comment is MY OPINION. Please! No flames. They do just about as
much good as Atari bashing!]

XXXXTRa Comment:

How's this for an idea:

     Now that East Germany has opened its doors, this may be a great opportunity
to sell more ST's!!!!!  :-)   :-)

Thanks!

Eric "No flames, please." Hobbs
ehsnsr@JUPITER.nmt.edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/15/89)

Eric Hobbs sez:

>Some people are giving me the impression that Sam and Jack Tramiel
>bought Atari for tens of millions of dollars just so they could lose
>money on it and drive the corporation into the ground. Somehow that
>doesn't strike me as reasonable.

Er... read up on your Atari Inc/Atari Corp history... Jack Tramiel obtained
control of the Atari company with VERY LITTLE cash outlay...   essentially
he took over control of a bankrupt division of Warner Communications and
sold off the existing warehouse stock at a fraction of its list price value
to raise cash...  he then used that cash to finance the debut of the ST onto
the marketplace.  When the ST appeared to be going places, he went "public"
and sold stock in the Corp and used the proceeds to pay off outstanding
debts...

Jack has since "retired" and let his sons run Atari Corp... with the
results that we see today...

(I won't reiterate those ramifications in deference to those who would rather
think everything is just rosy in the Atari world...)

Bottom Line: "Sam and Jack"  *NEVER*  paid "tens of millions" for Atari,
and nothing they've done strikes me as "reasonable"...

BobR

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (11/16/89)

      Is it just my monitor or do all SM124's start to dim out when there is
very little 'white' on the screen?
=======

Mine does this too, and has from day one (another msh user, eh?)

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/16/89)

	Only a complete dolt would see the breaking down of the
	Berlin Wall as THE oportunity to sell more ataris.

	PSYCHE, just kidding, I just wanted to say that my monitor
	does that too.  Let me know when you have a bug fix ()*_-::()*

							(^^roadkill^^)

	-Spieu!

ehsnsr@JUPITER.NMT.EDU (Eric Hobbs) (11/18/89)

OK! OK! So I got some facts wrong. Almost every statistic I mentioned was in
some way or another half-way remembered from articles from magazines, but I'm
not going to bother with the particulars. Anyway, the point of the posting was
apparently missed. The point was that some people are making it seem like
Sam T. et al are purposely trying to destroy Atari. What I was saying is that
this is ridiculous. Who in their right mind would want to destroy something
that they have spent so much time on?  About the negative comments...Why would
Atari want to support people who bitch about them all the time? Think about it.
Anyway, enough with the bickering. Oh, and by the way, BoBR, if I said anything
to upset you, I'm sorry. I just don't like it when people criticize something
that I spent so much money on. I've got friends with Macs and IBMs who do
that :-).

"Enough's Enough!!"                Eric Hobbs
                                   ehsnsr@JUPITER.nmt.edu

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (11/19/89)

In article <8911180154.AA07354@jupiter.nmt.edu> ehsnsr@JUPITER.NMT.EDU (Eric Hobbs) writes:

>Anyway, enough with the bickering. Oh, and by the way, BoBR, if I said anything
>to upset you, I'm sorry. I just don't like it when people criticize something
>that I spent so much money on. I've got friends with Macs and IBMs who do
>that :-).
>
>"Enough's Enough!!"                Eric Hobbs

Remember, BobR and others are criticizing the machines/ATARI co etc.
Not you.
If you keep your ego detached
from your DMA port, you will surely be a much happier
kind of guy.

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu