[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems booting w/accessories...

sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) (11/10/89)

   I've got many disks with accessories, AUTO programs, etc.  Sometimes
when I boot up with such a floppy (I'd guess about 10% of the time) I
get the computer loading a few of the accessories, but then doing a
cold or warm boot in the middle.  It's like someone hitting the reset
switch during bootup before the GEM Desktop appears.

  I use the BICLOCK.PRG program that came with Thunder! to set the time,
and sometimes I have to set the clock 3 or 4 times because after setting
it, the computer starts over.

   I also "follow the rules" (i.e. no more than 6 *.ACC's, only *.PRG
files in my AUTO folder, etc.)  The main problem occurs with my
1st Word disk, in which I have in my AUTO folder the BICLOCK.PRG and
IDLE12.PRG, and my accessories are CALENDAR.ACC, THUNDER.ACC,
SIRAM.ACC (ramdisk - not set, and printer spooler - 64K).  I've also
got 1 Meg so memory might no be the problem.  Anyone else have this
happen frequently?

  -Marty

--
 /    /  |\ |  /   /|  / ~Marty Saletta @ Fredonia State~Leafs:12pts-4th place~
/ __ /__ | \| /__ / | /  ~Atari ST,New York Yankees,Who,Pink Floyd,ELP,Fripp~~~

verwer@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Nico Verwer) (11/10/89)

In article <1669@fredonia.UUCP>, sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) writes:

|    I've got many disks with accessories, AUTO programs, etc.  Sometimes
| when I boot up with such a floppy (I'd guess about 10% of the time) I
| get the computer loading a few of the accessories, but then doing a
| cold or warm boot in the middle.  It's like someone hitting the reset
| switch during bootup before the GEM Desktop appears.
| [...]
| got 1 Meg so memory might no be the problem.  Anyone else have this
| happen frequently?

This sometimes happens to me, with about the same frequency. The boot
procedure seems to go all right, and then suddenly a reset occurs.
The machine boots again, and everything is fine.

I boot from a hard disk (megafile 30), and I also stick to the rules.

First, I thought this might be caused by random bits in RAM, which make
TOS think something terrible has happened.
However, yesterday I noticed that the reboot occurred after the set
time/date program was run from the auto folder, and that it ocuured
when I set a wrong time/date, i.e. I just kept the time/date of the
previous boot. Maybe the program notices that it has been active at
some later time/date (some set time/date programs save the time/date
information) and doesn't want this.
It might also be the case that an error occurs while trying to set the
internal ST clock. I do not have an add-on clock, b.t.w.

This was what I could think of, but it doesn't sound too probable to me.
Maybe someone else knows the reason for these spurious reboots?

--
Nico Verwer @ Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
verwer@cs.ruu.nl    +31 30 533921

wallace@oldtmr.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (11/11/89)

In article <1669@fredonia.UUCP>, sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) writes...
>cold or warm boot in the middle.  It's like someone hitting the reset
>switch during bootup before the GEM Desktop appears.
>  I use the BICLOCK.PRG program that came with Thunder! to set the time,
>got 1 Meg so memory might no be the problem.  Anyone else have this
>happen frequently?
I used to use TIMESTER in /AUTO to set the time and occasionaly had it bomb on
exit causing a reboot. After a while I tried writting my own time/date setting
program which worked a lot like timester and ran into the same problem. I
never figured out if it was setting the date/time, changing the timestamp on
the .PRG file, or some other thing that caused the bombs.

Of course it could be a combination of setting time/date and using IDLE12.PRG
(I use it my my /AUTO also!).

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (11/13/89)

 `
 `This sometimes happens to me, with about the same frequency. The boot
 `procedure seems to go all right, and then suddenly a reset occurs.
 `The machine boots again, and everything is fine.

I also encounter this occasionally, and I get the impression that it
happens when you move the mouse. I suspect that some mouse-interrupt vector
is not properly set until GEM has been initialized.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht,  The Netherlands.

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (11/19/89)

In article <1669@fredonia.UUCP> sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) writes:

>   I've got many disks with accessories, AUTO programs, etc.  Sometimes
>when I boot up with such a floppy (I'd guess about 10% of the time) I
>get the computer loading a few of the accessories, but then doing a
>cold or warm boot in the middle.  It's like someone hitting the reset
>switch during bootup before the GEM Desktop appears.

I went through a phase of that sort of problem, and it turned out to be
being caused by nothing more than a couple of bad sectors on the disk.
The sectors were only marginally bad (misaligned or weak, maybe?) so
they didn't always bite.  You might try looking at that possibility with
a disk-checking program.

A boot disk gets a lot of head travel, and since boot disks tend to be
fairly static and always accessed in the same pattern, it is easy to
believe that you might get one sort or another of physical wear to account
for this.

In any case, I solved my problem by the simple expedient of remaking (on
new disks) all of my boot disks which showed suspicious sectors; and I have
avoided the problem since by making it a practice to run a disk-checker on
my more commonly used boot disks once every couple of months.  Worth a try.
Sure, your problem might be more complicated, but it's easier to check for
the simple possibilities first...

--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet