[comp.sys.atari.st] ANALOG

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (03/13/88)

++++++++++++++

Seems to me I read a post here back around the middle of January
explaining that Analog had been bought out by a bigger company and
that we could expect a March issue to be out by the middle or end
of February. It's now the middle of March. Anybody hear anything
recently about Analog's L-O-N-G absence, and when, if ever, I can
expect a new issue to arrive in my mailbox???

			-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (03/15/88)

In article <Mar.12.15.39.14.1988.28108@topaz.rutgers.edu> wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:

>Seems to me I read a post here back around the middle of January
>explaining that Analog had been bought out by a bigger company and
>that we could expect a March issue to be out by the middle or end
>of February. It's now the middle of March. Anybody hear anything
>recently about Analog's L-O-N-G absence, and when, if ever, I can
>expect a new issue to arrive in my mailbox???
>
>			-Ray

ANALOG is back. I just looked in my mail box and here it is!

On page 4 is a editoral by Lee Pappas and it just repeats the things
he said in the interview that was posted to this group. It starts off with:

"Hey, long time, no see."

The editorial never mentions who bought ANALOG just say "under new ownership."
But on the bottom of page 1: "ANALOG Computing is published monthly by
L.F.P. Inc."

It is 96 pages long and is now printed on a glossy paper. But it still isn't
bound, just the usual ANALOG staple.

It features a Action! game, a machine language game (they are printing the
source code for machine language games again) and a few BASIC programs.
They are still running the video games section for Atari, Sega and
Nintendo.  There is a article by Matthew Ratcliff called "Then and now"
and it is only about the 8-bits. History is given and the future is
guessed at. For those who don't know, Matt is a EXPERT on the 8-bits.

So ANALOG is back, everyone should be getting their issues soon.
				Tom Johnson
john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (03/15/88)

> Seems to me I read a post here back around the middle of January
> explaining that Analog had been bought out by a bigger company and
> that we could expect a March issue to be out by the middle or end
> of February. It's now the middle of March. Anybody hear anything
> recently about Analog's L-O-N-G absence, and when, if ever, I can
> expect a new issue to arrive in my mailbox???
----------------------------
I have good news!  ANALOG is mailing the April issues!  How do I know?
I just received mine this past Saturday (3/12)!

Yes, ANALOG has been bought by a bigger  company,  L.F.P.  Inc,  which
(I  guess  many  people  know now) is, I have read on Delphi, owned by
Larry Flynt of Hustler fame ("infame?").   The  content  looks  to  be
about  the   same,  although  the  mag.  seems  to  have shrunk a bit;
there seem to be at least one fewer regular columns.  But  given   the
problems  that  the ANALOG  staff  has had, I'm willing to give them a
while to get things back to normal.  To me at  least,  it  looks  very
much  the   same.    There seems to be the usual complement of type-in
programs, including part 2  (the  compiler)  of  "The  Wizard"   text-
adventure   construction   package.   Also,   there  is  the  1st in a
series of 3 articles (in the "Bits and Pieces" series of h/w articles)
about connecting one 8-bit to another, to  use  as  a  printer  buffer
(I  guess old 8-bits are cheaper than printer buffers?),  but  it's  a
very general look at Atari SIO etc.

The arrival of this "long-awaited" issue made my day!

Nick DiMasi
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/21/89)

>As I pointed out in a previous note, you are quite wrong.  Analog
>and ST-LOG are merging into a bigger, better Analog Computing.  I have
>the October 1989 issue to prove it.

Unfortunately, this info is far behind the times..

ANALOG magazine is no more...   another skeleton in Atari Corp's closet..

Talk to Lee Pappas, the Publisher, or Clay Walnum, the Editor, or any of
the former contributors like Tom Hudson, or Maurice Molyneaux or
Charles F. Johnson, or Matt Ratcliff, or even me...

You can't publish a magazine in a vaccuum...

BobR