[comp.sys.atari.st] Terminator archive

HIGGS_M@P1.LANCSP.AC.UK (Mike Higgs) (06/30/89)

Hi,
    I've been having some problems accessing stuff from the terminator
archive, I requested BISON a few days ago, and received part c. I assumed
that parts a and b were an their way but they never came. My friend tried
again yesterday and he only received part c also. The only thing I can see
that might be wrong is the size of parts a and b but my friend received a file
 that was 816 lines long, surely the other parts aren't that big?? Mail from the
USA comes via two gateways which may not like the very large files..
    If someone has BISON could they please send it to me ( grovel grovel ).

    Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks for any help in advance...

                        Mike Higgs

School of Computing,              JANET : higgs_m@uk.ac.lancsp.p1
Lancashire Polytechnic,           EARN  : higgs_m@p1.lancsp.ac.uk
Preston,
U.K.
PR1 2TQ.

wallace@leddev.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (07/01/89)

In article <8906301327.AA24937@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, HIGGS_M@P1.LANCSP.AC.UK (Mike Higgs) writes...
>Hi,
>    I've been having some problems accessing stuff from the terminator
>archive,

I must have missed a posting somewhere along the line. I have seen a couple of
references to the terminator archive and it's mail server but I have not seen
any information on how to acces the archives mail server (ie: what is the mail
address and how do I get help).

I took a guess and tried sending mail to archive-server@math.lsa.umich.edu
(ie: used Jon Brode's path) but that didn't work.

Since SSYX is now gone it would be nice to have access to another mail server.

Does the terminator archive contain all of the files that SSYX had, a subset,
or all together different files?

	Ray
---
Ray Wallace    wallace@leddev.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!leddev.dec.com!wallace
		--or-- wallace%leddev.enet.dec.com
		--or-- wallace%leddev.dec@decwrl.dec.com (becoming obsolete)
---

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (07/11/89)

In article <8906301327.AA24937@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> HIGGS_M@P1.LANCSP.AC.UK (Mike Higgs) writes:
>Hi,
>that might be wrong is the size of parts a and b but my friend received a file
> that was 816 lines long, surely the other parts aren't that big?? Mail from the

Yup, they are that big. As a matter of fact, they're a lot bigger.
Uuencoded file get chunked into 1500 line parts. Some people have
requested that we make chunks about 750 lines (approx 50k). I'm not
sure what the trade off is, in terms of system resources, for sending
fewer large messages verses more small messages.

At any rate, it appears that we need to get a new uuencoder (epecially
if we send smaller chunks). The one I'm using now only handles about
30 parts before breaking. Where can I get one that handles >30 parts
more gracefully? (this is for a un*x box)

Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu
  Termiatnor Atari Archive Moderator

vxp6840%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (07/12/89)

In article <726@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:
>Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu
>  Termiatnor Atari Archive Moderator

We have a dumb mailer here at RIT.  Could someone please tell me the
absolute path (at least from a backbone site) of terminator.

Thanks,

-Vitas P.-

ccsmh@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Mark Harding) (08/09/89)

Could someone give me the address of the TERMINATOR archive?  Thanks.

Mark H.

  One of these days, on the Dark Side if the Moon I'll see Emily  Play and
you'll Wish You Were Here.

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (11/11/89)

In article <1346@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> banana@cc.ic.ac.uk (P Monckton) writes:
>Could anybody tell me if it is stil possible to access the
>terminator archive via mail from the uk?

When terminator is doing mail service, yes, you can reach it from the uk.
However, the mail server for the atari archive has been turned off due to
the abusive practices of some users. We've been working on a new server,
but due to time constraints it may not be done for a long time.
(christmas vacation is an optimistic guess)

The lack of new stuff on terminator is also due to a lack of time on my part.
My apologies to the Atari community.

Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu
  Terminator Atari Archive Moderator

VCD51661@DS0RUS54.BITNET (11/21/89)

Hi there,

last week i tried to access the terminator archive via mail and
via ftp. I used the internet adress atari@terminator.cc.umich.edu
and got the message "unknown host" using ftp. My mails remained
without reply. Does anybody know whether the terminator archive
is still working, or what else could be wrong?

Thanx alot.
                        /*
                        **  Benno Salzgeber
                        **  Institute for Computer Applications
                        **  University of Stuttgart
                        **  VCD51661@DS0RUS54.BITNET
                        */

-- FOOD FOR THE LITTLE LINEEATER -- FOOD FOR THE LITTLE LINEEATER -- FOOD
-- FOOD FOR THE LITTLE LINEEATER -- FOOD FOR THE LITTLE LINEEATER -- FOOD