[comp.sys.atari.st] spectrum and quantumpaint formats

gng@spocom.UUCP (11/19/89)

Some more quick questions - Does anyone have information as to how spectrum
and quantum paint programs are able to make the ST display more colours than
usual?  I'm especially bewildered as to how quantum paint can display
3375 colours or more!  Any info appreciated...

--
George Ng (Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto) | "Sure, I would like Canadian
UUCP:  uunet!mnetor!{becker,hybrid}!spocom!gng |  winters too...if it weren't

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (11/20/89)

   Some more quick questions - Does anyone have information as to how spectrum
   and quantum paint programs are able to make the ST display more colours than
   usual?  I'm especially bewildered as to how quantum paint can display
   3375 colours or more!  Any info appreciated...

My quantum paint is pretty useless...
I have not seen a conversion program from quantum's own format over to any
other (gif would be best!) and so the images are neat to look at...
on my atari... in quantum paint.... but besides that, they are useless.

Also, my quantum paint screws up the colors whenever I get more than 30-40
of them on the screen at once!
(it does that nasty recalibration and changes the colors from like green
to red!)  I have not used my version since that happens to me EVERY time.

Scott

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''

greg@sj.ate.slb.com (Greg Wageman) (11/22/89)

Opinions expressed are the responsibility of the author.

In article <15@spocom.UUCP> gng@spocom.UUCP writes:

>Some more quick questions - Does anyone have information as to how spectrum
>and quantum paint programs are able to make the ST display more colours than
>usual?  I'm especially bewildered as to how quantum paint can display
>3375 colours or more!  Any info appreciated...

Spectrum 512 works by using the CPU to reload the hardware palette
registers during the current scan line.  An initial palette is loaded
during horizontal retrace; then, in a *very* tight loop, each register
is loaded in sequence with a new color from the Spectrum palette.
Since each register is reloaded twice in the scan line, a total of 48
different colors are possible in one line.  In addition, since there
is an independent palette for each scan line, all 512 colors may
appear within one screen.

I don't know how Quantum Paint works, but I suspect they use some
variation on this scheme.

Copyright 1989 Greg Wageman	DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!greg
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		BIX: gwage  CIS: 74016,352  GEnie: G.WAGEMAN
        Permission granted for not-for-profit reproduction only.