[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 Incompatibility List

jmorton@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Morton) (10/12/89)

So far the list includes only "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing", right?
That's pretty good, I don't even have that one.

Are there any more submissions to the list?

"Down          	   	   John Morton		        M.E. Machine Shop
 Down in the basement	   jmorton@euler.berkeley.edu   Etcheverry Hall
 We hear the sound of machines..."			Univ. of Calif.

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (10/15/89)

ChessMaster 2000 runs fine, except that the system always bombs when you
save a game.  The file is saved (fortuneatly!), but it is annoying.  thus
far this is the ONLY program that I've trouble with under TOS 1.4

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/15/89)

PC Ditto v3.01 will NOT work with TOS 1.4.  I forget what the error
says, but I think it was something like: "Does not work with this
version of TOS" or something to that effect.  Too bad there isn't a way
to piggy back the two versions of ROMs and have a hardware switch
between them.  That is why I dislike system software being in ROM.  It
is so much easier on my Big Blue PeeCee.  If something doesn't work in
DOS 3.3...FINE...I boot up with DOS 3.2 or 3.1 and it works fine.

Chris Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

t19@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (10/16/89)

The compress.ttp which was posted in comp.binaries.atari.st does not work
either.  Does anyone have a working copy? (saves a lot of time on 1200baud)

G.J. van Oldenborgh

ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) (10/17/89)

Rdydisk, the reset-proof ramdisk that comes with Mark Williams C
doesn't work.  Oh, well, there are plenty of other ramdisks out
there.

VIP Professional (GEM version) with GDOS loaded has screwed up colors
in the menus.  The menus were illegible.   Removing GDOS fixed the
problem.  One of these days I'll get G+Plus.

By the way, my ROM came with documents.
--
Ron DeBlock	N2JSO
Net: ...!rutgers!galaxy!argus

Matthew_Eric_Seitz@cup.portal.com (10/17/89)

PC DITTO v3.01 works fine with my TOS 1.4 developer EPROMS.  The documentation
that accompanied them is dated May 25th '89.  Perhaps you have a different
version?

					Matthew Seitz

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (10/17/89)

In article <1312@argus.UUCP>, ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) writes...
>Rdydisk, the reset-proof ramdisk that comes with Mark Williams C
>doesn't work.  Oh, well, there are plenty of other ramdisks out
>there.

What about Eternal?  I use it all the time, and am contemplating an
upgrade to 1.4, so does anyone know if it works?

I don't use Eternal 2, not seeing any need to upgrade and not having
the documentation...  The original Eternal has been adequate.  Thanks.

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (10/18/89)

In article <23158@cup.portal.com>, Matthew_Eric_Seitz@cup.portal.com writes:
> PC DITTO v3.01 works fine with my TOS 1.4 developer EPROMS.  The documentation
> that accompanied them is dated May 25th '89.  Perhaps you have a different
> version?
>
> 					Matthew Seitz

I think there really is somthing to the PC DITTO/TOS 1.4 incompatibility.
-- and I just thought I was having problems with cosmic dust.

I have two systems a 2.5 meg 1040 and a 1 meg 520.  The 1040 with BMS-x00
will bring up PC DITTO from hard disk.  THe 520 has a SH204, with the same
files and order.  PC DITTO refuses to boot fro the HD, only a Floppy.
Once up, it reads the HD just fine.

Maybe there really is a problem.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (10/19/89)

t19@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) writes:
>The compress.ttp which was posted in comp.binaries.atari.st does not work
>either.  Does anyone have a working copy? (saves a lot of time on 1200baud)

Are you sure?  Or more correctly, (I'm sure you're sure) what else
have you changed? I'm running TOS 1.4 on a 2.5 meg upgraded 1040, and
compress.ttp, taken from the net, runs like a champ.  Used it this
morning to push several hundred kb back and forth to my BSD systems @
2400 baud (zmodem).  I am using MWC's msh shell, no desk acc's, sm225
monitor, sh204 drive.  Everything decompressed and crc'd properly.

	a compress fan,
	Ross

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (10/19/89)

Just a bit more on that compress vs TOS 1.4 incompatability claim: I'm
running rom-TOS 1.4 version of 6 April 1989 (my birthday, strangely
enough!) and as I mentioned earlier, no problems w/ compress.  Are the
people having problems running floppy-based TOS 1.4 (the developers'
version) on 1040's or 512's ??  You may simply be out of memory if
so... compress.ttp is a small file (16 k) but a large executable (>
480 k or so).  It has an absolutely huge BSS.  Run size on it for
details :-).

	hoping this helps,
	Ross

rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) (10/19/89)

| What about Eternal?  I use it all the time, and am contemplating an
| upgrade to 1.4, so does anyone know if it works?

I'm using Eternal with 1.4, no problem.

However, I have my own contribution to the list -- Mousetrap under 1.4
does not prevent the mouse from crossing into the menu bar.  Anyone know
of a similar program that works under 1.4?
--
 RICHARD LEE     rlee@ads.com  or  ...!{sri-spam | ames}!zodiac!rlee
 415-960-7300    ADS, 1500 Plymouth St., Mtn. View CA 94043-1230

iadt3tb@prism.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks) (10/19/89)

In article <RLEE.89Oct18134909@weaver.ads.com> rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) writes:
}
}However, I have my own contribution to the list -- Mousetrap under 1.4
}does not prevent the mouse from crossing into the menu bar.  Anyone know
}of a similar program that works under 1.4?
}--
    It didn't work on the Mega Roms either.  "Mouser" did work on the
 Mega maybe it will work on the Rainbow TOS.  It was in volume04 of the
 comp.binaries.atari.st.
                 Cheers,
                   Terry

--
T. Terrell Banks  uucp:  { 'insert a backbone name here' }!gatech!prism!iadt3tb
Georgia Insitute of Technology - I.S.A.      Internet: iadt3tb@prism.gatech.edu

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (10/19/89)

In article <1312@argus.UUCP> ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) writes:
>Rdydisk, the reset-proof ramdisk that comes with Mark Williams C
>doesn't work.  Oh, well, there are plenty of other ramdisks out
>there.

Don't give up on Rdy just yet!  Mine works perfectly.  I have MWC 3.0.6.

I have a 1040 upgraded to 2.5 MB running the official (i.e. non-developer)
TOS 1.4.
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

rodney@aragon.UUCP (Rodney Volz) (10/21/89)

In article <825@lzaz.ATT.COM> hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>In article <23158@cup.portal.com>, Matthew_Eric_Seitz@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have two systems a 2.5 meg 1040 and a 1 meg 520.  The 1040 with BMS-x00

sorry - I just read about you 2.5 meg 1040ST; I own a 1040 and
an old 520 (upgraded to 1 meg). Is it possible, to put the
RAM from my old machine into my 1040ST?

-Rodney
--
          Rodney Volz - Klugestrasse 12 - 7000 Stuttgart 1 - FRG
============> ...mcvax!uunet!unido!gtc!aragon!merkur!rodney <=============

jmorton@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Morton) (11/15/89)

Dave Megginson has pointed out to me that Chessmaster 2000 works OK
on his system, contrary to the experience of whoever reported that
the program bombs when a save is attempted.

As Dave suggests, let's limit the reports of failure to cases in
which TOS 1.4 is in ROM and there are no auto folder programs in
place.

Please speak up if you find errors in the incompatibility list.

savrtka@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (James Savrtka) (11/22/89)

> Please speak up if you find errors in the incompatibility list.
>

> "Down          	      John Morton	        M.E. Machine Shop
>  Down in the basement	   jmorton@euler.berkeley.edu   Etcheverry Hall
>  We hear the sound of machines..."			Univ. of Calif.

Well, after having no problems with US version 3.01, I received an error
message today about 'This is the US version.  You must have a US machine.'.

This occurred when I placed pc-ditto.prg in the AUTO folder and tried to
have it execute upon boot-up.  So out it went, along with the error message.

              jim