[comp.sys.atari.st] 360k floppy

vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu (11/18/89)

Well I got my 360k floppy working - sort of. The Atari reads the drive
just dandy, but it wont write worth a damn (except to the directory)

One porblem it took me a while to discover, the external drive must be
on when the ST boots so that it recognizes it.

A previous poster mentioned a program PCF554.PRG which would be
necessary to use 360k, where can I get this? I can ftp but some
us-snail method would be better (Ie if a pd sw house sells it for
$5-10 that would be best since I must call long distance to get to the
net. I would be willing to mail someone a disk w/return postage also.

--
Frank Filz
Center For Integrated Electronics

vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu (11/18/89)

well I got my 360k floppy sort of working. The Atari reads it but wont
write to it.

A previous poster mentioned a program PCF554.PRG. Where can I get
this, prefferably someplace which I can order it by mail (or that I
can send a disk and return postage to)

--

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (11/19/89)

In article <1989Nov18.045347.26261@rpi.edu> vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu () writes:
>Well I got my 360k floppy working - sort of. The Atari reads the drive
>just dandy, but it wont write worth a damn (except to the directory)
>
>A previous poster mentioned a program PCF554.PRG which would be
>necessary to use 360k, where can I get this?
>--
>Frank Filz

You can use DC FORMATTER to do the same thing.  Just write an executable boot
sector to drive A: that has the set seek rate option enabled.  From the main
menu, just set the seek rate to 6, then go to the executable boot sector
menu.  Next select the set step rate option, and write out the boot sector to
drive A:  Now when you boot of of drive A:, the step rate for drive B: will be
set so you can read and write to the 5 1/4" drive.

Of course, other boot sector programs can also be written at the same time from
the DC FORMATTER executable boot menu.

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/19/89)

Anyone interested in getting PCF554.PRG should be able to get it by
contacting Atari Customer Support in the US: 408-745-2000.

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

vicc@unix.cie.rpi.edu (VICC Project (Rose)) (11/22/89)

In article <905@uhnix2.uh.edu> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
>You can use DC FORMATTER to do the same thing.  Just write an executable boot
>sector to drive A: that has the set seek rate option enabled.  From the main
>menu, just set the seek rate to 6, then go to the executable boot sector
>menu.  Next select the set step rate option, and write out the boot sector to
>drive A:  Now when you boot of of drive A:, the step rate for drive B: will be
>set so you can read and write to the 5 1/4" drive.
>
>Of course, other boot sector programs can also be written at the same time from
>the DC FORMATTER executable boot menu.

I did use DC Formatter, that was what allowed me to read the floppy on
the ST. It will not write however (except occaisionally it will write
the directory sector). It is a QUME drive with only jumpers for the
drive select.