[comp.sys.atari.st] spectrum and digitizers

gng@spocom.UUCP (11/22/89)

Thanks to Lars-Erik Osterud (larserio@ifi.uio.no),
Scott D. Yelich (scott@cs.odu.edu), and Steve Belczyk (seb3@gte.com) for
their info. on Spectrum/Quantum Paint.

I think I should reveal first why I've been asking for this info.
I may very soon get access to a Nikon LS-300 (or was it 500?  ahh...) film
scanner - how it differs from something like Computereyes is that instead of
getting an image from a video camera or vcr/tv, the Nikon (and other film
scanners like it probably) gets it's image from a negative/positive 35mm
slide.  And at a great resolution too - 4096x6144 as I recall!  And at 24bits
(16.7 million colours), etc, etc....Now, I know Trio Engineering (Spectrum's)
has worked with Digital Vision (Computereyes) to make Computereyes save a
digitized image in Spectrum format, but I haven't heard of any other efforts
by them - especially with a film scanner.

So basically, what I want to do is to digitize an image from a 35mm slide or
negative from the Nikon and display it on an ST by making a special program
to do exactly that...just like with Computereyes.
Sounds fun and easy doesn't it?  (Ha, yeah right...)

Anyhow, I think I'll opt for the Spectrum rather than the Quantum Paint
format in saving a picture from the scanner.  So now that I have a grasp of
how Spectrum works, is there any sample C or assembly code out there that
for instance, demonstrates how to load a Spectrum picture in?
How about a text file describing the format of a Spectrum picture?
And I'll probably need help in knowing how to make the program downgrade
the resolution from 4096x6144 to 320x200, and the colours from over 16 million
to 512!  Thanks in advance...

--
George Ng (Comp. Sci., U of Toronto)   |"We're not just doing it for money;
uunet!mnetor!{becker,hybrid}!spocom!gng| we're doing it for a s***load of

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (11/23/89)

In article <21@spocom.UUCP> gng@spocom.UUCP writes:
> Thanks to Lars-Erik Osterud (larserio@ifi.uio.no),
> Scott D. Yelich (scott@cs.odu.edu), and Steve Belczyk (seb3@gte.com) for
> their info. on Spectrum/Quantum Paint.

you're welcome.... (Did I say anything?)

> I think I should reveal first why I've been asking for this info.
> I may very soon get access to a Nikon LS-300 (or was it 500?  ahh...) film
> scanner - how it differs from something like Computereyes is that instead of
> getting an image from a video camera or vcr/tv, the Nikon (and other film
> scanners like it probably) gets it's image from a negative/positive 35mm
> slide.  And at a great resolution too - 4096x6144 as I recall!  And at 24bits
> (16.7 million colours), etc, etc....Now, I know Trio Engineering (Spectrum's)
> has worked with Digital Vision (Computereyes) to make Computereyes save a
> digitized image in Spectrum format, but I haven't heard of any other efforts
> by them - especially with a film scanner.

I have a computer eyes.... for $150 (brand new) or trade toward an old
hard drive...  I got this compter eyes, and I have sent it
back to the company twice.  They say it works on their computers.... but
it wont work on mine.  So, it doesnt do me any good.

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''