[comp.sys.atari.st] Floppy Problems After 4 MB Memory Upgrade on OLD 1040ST

U009@CCIW.BITNET (11/18/89)

Date: Fri 17 11 89 11:10:00 EST
From: U009@CCIW.BITNET
Subject: Floppy Problems After 4 MB Memory Upgrade on OLD 1040ST
To: Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.edu                                 (

I posted a request for info to the net a while ago and I thought it
might be time to update y'all:

and from some email I sent to glk3593@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

> .....  It might be that my
> TOS (quite early) doesn't support >1MB properly. I am expecting the
> V1.4 TOS ROMs soon and if it makes a difference, I will post to the net
> and probably directly to you.

Well, the 1.4 ROMs arrived and after installation, the system acted
exactly the same. Spectre operations worked flawlessly while desktop
copies under GEM bombed quite reliably.

I recently opened the 1040 again and removed the high 2 MB bank and
re-enabled the old .5 MB bank on the motherboard. The problems have
apparently completely disappeared!!!! I copied >80 small files to a
floppy (till it errored out because it was full!) several times under
the desktop on GEM and the Spectre operation hasn't given any problems
either (except for the reduced memory size).

Might I ask if Mr. Pratt and/or Mr Townsend might enquire of the
'hardy boys' (thanks Tracy) in the back room if there was an early
problem with the MMU which might have shown up at exactly 4 MB of
memory (an off-by-one error in the decoding or something)?

I'm thinking of re-cycling the 1040 (sans extra memory) thru the
classifieds and looking for a current model if there isn't a simple
chip swap fix.

Regards, Stu Beal, VE3MWM, (U009@CCIW.BITNET),
National Water Research Institute,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

dclemans@mentor.com (Dave Clemans @ APD x1292) (11/23/89)

I would rather doubt a MMU chip problem.  It is MUCH more likely
that you are seeing ringing and other noise problems.  A good way
to check for this is to run a decent memory tester program when
the board is set up for 4MB, and see where it gets errors, and what
the patterns of error bits are.  If you get randomness, it is almost
definitely ringing or other noise problems on the dram control lines.

One example to show this... Recently I upgraded a Rev. E 520 ST
board to 4 megabytes using the "New World" board.  Initially it showed
exactly the same symptoms you got; it worked fine at 2.5megabytes,
but got memory errors at 4megabytes.  I eventually got it to work
at 4 megabytes by shortening 3 of the interconnecting cables to
about the minimum workable length (about 9 inches -> 6 inches),
added inline 68 ohm resistors to the RAS/CAS lines for the upper
bank, and an inline 33 ohm resistor to the MAD9 line from the MMU.

dgc