[comp.sys.atari.st] atari ABC yea or nay ????

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/13/89)

"Big Bad Dom" asks:
>I am seriously thinking of buying a PC at the moment and I have basically
>decided on one of two models,

>		1)ATARI ABC

>		2)AMSTRAD 2086

>Does anyone have/know of the machine and if so could someone please
>offer me advice on buying it?

More important than the technical differences between the two machines is
the difference between the companies which make the computers.

Amstrad is a professional company which produces computers.  They have
established a world-wide reputation for delivering good, solid computers.

Atari Corp is a toy company which has established a reputation for being
poorly managed, and for its capricious treatment of its users, dealers
and suppliers.  While the "Atari ABC" may be the computer of the week now,
you may find yourself holding an obsolete system when they go off after the
next glittering gizmo and leave you with an unsupported orphan next week.

Then again, maybe they won't...  it's your gamble...

BobR

pi@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Ikusz) (11/14/89)

>>offer me advice on buying it?
>
>More important than the technical differences between the two machines is
>the difference between the companies which make the computers.
>
>Amstrad is a professional company which produces computers.  They have
>established a world-wide reputation for delivering good, solid computers.
>
>Atari Corp is a toy company which has established a reputation for being
>poorly managed, and for its capricious treatment of its users, dealers
>and suppliers.  While the "Atari ABC" may be the computer of the week now,
>you may find yourself holding an obsolete system when they go off after the
>next glittering gizmo and leave you with an unsupported orphan next week.

Sorry, Bob,
 I've worked with, sold, and used Amstrads. I wouldn't let my worst enemy
 buy one. They are junk.

 If you think Atari is only a toy company go to Europe. You will find out
 how extensively they are using their 'toys'.

Pete I.

I'm not an Atari loyalist, I just don't like the other expensive junk
in the market. ( Amiga is OK, though, emphasis on OK )

Movie Quotes of the 80's:
"I'll buy that for a dollar!": Robocop
"What's amatter Colonel Sanders, Chicken?": Dark Helmet
"Poachers shooting at rabbits scare the big game away.": D.R.Scoundrels
Pete Ikusz : PI@csd4.uwm.csd.edu : University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/15/89)

Pete Ikusz says:

>Sorry, Bob,
> I've worked with, sold, and used Amstrads. I wouldn't let my worst enemy
> buy one. They are junk.

Whew... I've been learning a lot about the way Amstrad is perceived in the
U.K. and Europe...

Here in the U.S., Amstrad computers seem to be among the "second line" of
third-party machines, along with names like Blue Chip and Packard Bell...
we don't have Amstrad stereos and other things.

Since the original question came from the U.K., I'll have to defer to the
experience of those in that marketplace...  I think my point was clear
though, even if the comparison with Amstrad was flawed...

BobR

rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/16/89)

/* Written 11:34 pm  Nov 12, 1989 by Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */
Some text deleted...

Atari Corp is a toy company which has established a reputation for being
poorly managed, and for its capricious treatment of its users, dealers
and suppliers.  While the "Atari ABC" may be the computer of the week now,
you may find yourself holding an obsolete system when they go off after the
next glittering gizmo and leave you with an unsupported orphan next week.
/* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */

	Try to control your passion there, Bob.  Take a breath...
  	I am a computer engineer at the U of Illinios
in Urbana / Champaign.  I am using an Atari with 2mb internal memory,
50 meg of hard drive, an 8Mhz 68000, and a (Robotics) courier 2400 to
write this note.  I also use it for two of my three classes and to access
the Library Computer system.  Don't you think "toy" might be an inappropriate
choice of words.  This system will out-perform the majority of the IBM hardware
out in the streets today.  In fact the IBM emulator on my Atari has a Norton
SI rating between 2.5 and 3.0 because of the power of the 68000 (RISC
architecture).  I can also read and format IBM formatted IBM DD/DS 3.5" disks,
and with some software and a couple of chips could emulate a Mac as well.
	I am a month from graduation as a computer engineer, and I consider
the Mega ST2 to be a fairly powerful machine (definitely out of the range of
toy).  I would further state that it can clearly outperform any IBM in its
price range for the majority of tasks a home user would want.  Do you beg to
differ with me ?  I got my system for slightly over $2000.  What do YOU
own.  I'll bet it's 1) more expensive or 2) less powerfull or 3) another
"toy" computer.
    On a similar note, Atari doesn't have a history of producing obsolete
equipment.  Do you consider the M68000 to be any more obsolete than the
equally new 80286 technology IBM uses?  If and when the TT is delivered, it
will use the 68030, which will still run my 68000 programs.  My ST software
library will not be wasted.  Please give a name to this "unsupported orphan
product".
	On the other hand, you are right about their tendancies to introduce
new ideas into the marketplace before they can back them up with hardware and
also about their lack of support for dealers.  Some entities like businesses
who require a full-service shop with personel knowledgeable about the products
would be ill-advised to get an Atari.  However, for my personal use, I have
*never* had to bring an Atari in for service.  The Atari has made a lot of
sense for me, and I don't regret having purchased it.  In the few cases where
there are trouble though, it will be more difficult (not impossible though,
I have a full-service dealer within 5 miles of where I live for example) to
get repairs.  Also, if you want to run protected IBM or MacIntosh software,
then an Atari is out.  Overall, though, I'll definitely take my Atari.
P.S.  I have used IBM's and Macintosh's quite a bit in school.  The IBM's are
too expensive and their software isn't nearly as user friendly.  The Mac's are
black and white on a too-small screen.  The Mac II's are very nice, but too
expensive.  There are my opinions.  I think most of us are *quite* familiar
with yours by now :)

mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (11/17/89)

A question deserves an answer:

/* acf5:comp.sys.atari.st / rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu /  5:41 am  Nov 16, 1989 */

>I am using an Atari with 2mb internal memory,
>50 meg of hard drive, an 8Mhz 68000, and a (Robotics) courier 2400 to
>write this note.  ...
>This system will out-perform the majority of the IBM hardware
>out in the streets today.  In fact the IBM emulator on my Atari has a Norton
>SI rating between 2.5 and 3.0 because of the power of the 68000 (RISC
>architecture). ...
>
>I would further state that it can clearly outperform any IBM in its
>price range for the majority of tasks a home user would want.  Do you beg to
>differ with me ?  I got my system for slightly over $2000.  What do YOU
>own.  I'll bet it's 1) more expensive or 2) less powerfull or 3) another
>"toy" computer.

Allow me to differ with you.
A system with:
	- A 286 at 12Mhz. SI rating 15.3 Landmark rating 15.1
	- 4 MB of RAM
	- 66MB 25ms 1:1 interleave hard drive (should tr. at >400Kbytes/sec)
	- VGA 640x480 and 16 colors.
	- 1.2 Mb floppy, 2 serial, 1 parallel, real time clock etc.
	- 2400 bps modem (no advantage here)
	- 8 expansion slots (4 available).
	- runs multiple DOS sessions under desqview.

costs (1862+100+50+320) $2332 without looking for great bargains.
(advertised items)
It is 1) as expensive and 2) much more powerfull and 3) much more professional.

BTW I own a 1040 ST which was one of the best choices when I got it.
I am using it as a terminal and it is excellent (many thanks Simon!).

Send personal mail only if you want more info on the above AT.

Thanasis

PS Some people remind of the mice dancing when the cat is out. 8->
   Remember, silence is not agreement. It may be just boredom.

"If you pray hard enough, water will run uphill. How Hard?
 Why, hard enough to make water run uphill, of course!"      R. A. Heinlein

Internet: mitsolid@csd2.nyu.edu	         (mitsolid%csd2.nyu.edu@relay.cs.net)
UUCP    : ...!uunet!cmcl2!csd2!mitsolid

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (11/17/89)

In article <46300069@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written 11:34 pm  Nov 12, 1989 by Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */
Some text deleted...

>SI rating between 2.5 and 3.0 because of the power of the 68000 (RISC
>architecture).                                                   ^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
The MC68000 is FAR from RISC!!!!   It is absolutely a CISC processor!

>	I am a month from graduation as a computer engineer, and....
If only I where you professor, I'll would kick you out of the University!!
Almoust draduated computer engineer, and does not know NOTHING about
processors... Where is the word goning to?????

Some text deleted...

Timo

PS: English is not my native lasnguage...

--
Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
Disclaimer: The text above is from my left brain cell. The right one is for

rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/18/89)

Written Nov 17, 1989 by mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU

A system with:
	- A 286 at 12Mhz. SI rating 15.3 Landmark rating 15.1
	- 4 MB of RAM
	- 66MB 25ms 1:1 interleave hard drive (should tr. at >400Kbytes/sec)
	- VGA 640x480 and 16 colors.
	- 1.2 Mb floppy, 2 serial, 1 parallel, real time clock etc.
	- 2400 bps modem (no advantage here)
	- 8 expansion slots (4 available).
	- runs multiple DOS sessions under desqview.

costs (1862+100+50+320) $2332 without looking for great bargains.
(advertised items)
It is 1) as expensive and 2) much more powerfull and 3) much more professional.

/* End of text from mitsolid */

	Yes, but do you have MIDI ?  Just kidding.  I certainly do stand
corrected about my presumptions concerning the Atari MegaST being more
powerful for the price than any comparible computer.  I'm afraid all I can
plead is ignorance.  I had no idea the price of 286 computers had dropped to
such a reasonable level.  It's a welcome development, even though I am somewhat
of an Atari loyalist (because I liked their philosophy or not ripping the
consumer off every chance they get).  It seems that I have fallen behind, and
times are changing rapidly.  Atari has done a couple of things recently that
may be loosing them some of their loyalty base now.  I like to think I have
an open mind, and I have to admit that factual arguments like yours are very
convincing.  I hope Atari believes enough in PR to refute your (implied) claim
that their power/price ratio is down (with a market announcement that actually
comes true or something), but intuition tells me they won't.  I'll stop here
because I would hate to become an Atari-basher.  I still have hope for them.
	I'll always welcome reasonable arguments and facts, though.  So
thanks.

Bob Krieter

rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/20/89)

/* Written by suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */

Much text deleted intermittently

>The MC68000 is FAR from RISC!!!!   It is absolutely a CISC processor!
	Not true.  See below.

<	I am a month from graduation as a computer engineer, and....
>if only I where you professor, I'll would kick you out of the University!!
>Almoust draduated computer engineer, and does not know NOTHING about
>processors... Where is the word goning to?????
	Isn't there some sort of error in logic there ?  Because I haven't
programmed the 68000 and one of my statements about it was technically
incorrect, I know NOTHING about processors.  I know quite a bit about
processors (I won't bore everyone by putting it in).  The University of
Illinois is in fact one of the best Colleges in the United states in the
field of Computer Engineering, and I will graduate in December. However,
they tend to concentrate on theory.  I have had little experience with the
hardware currently on the market.
	I don't see any smiles in your text.  If you want to get personal
with colorful insults, then please use mail.  Your message is in very poor
taste.  There is enough bashing going on here, we don't need to start flame
wars as well, do we ?
	I heard about the 68000 architecture from a friend at the University
here (I haven't actually programmed it myself).  Here is what he said:
(Note that I now admit the 68000 is considered CISC)

"Actually, the 68000 is considered CISC, because of the fact that YOU, the USER
cannot write programs in its "basic" set.  I am *quite* sure that at the very
*heart* of the 68000 is a RISC ALU which executes a VERY small program (which
is stored in the on-chip memory) which reads the instructions from memory and
decodes them.  So overall, the 68000 is in fact CISC, but it is run by a RISC
heart.

And yes, I am quite sure of this.  I got this info from a (very informative)
article on CPU architecture in Byte magazine (a special issue on architecture
sometime in the last 14 months or so) -- they were doing a specific comparison
of the basic operation differences between the 80x86 and the 680x0 families."

	Hopefully that will clear up any confusion that you or I created.

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (11/20/89)

In article <46300069@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>                           In fact the IBM emulator on my Atari has a Norton
>SI rating between 2.5 and 3.0 because of the power of the 68000 (RISC
>architecture).

your posting is an excellent defence of the power and versatility of the
atari st line of computers, but you, especially as a computer engineer, should
realize that the 68000 is nowhere near being RISC architecture. the 68000
has a very complex instruction set, with very complex addressing modes.
(the 020 and 030 have even better addressing modes, but that's another
story). a RISC architecture means the processor has a limited set of
addressing modes, mainly loading into a register and saving from a register,
and they usually have a better file of general purpose registers than what
the 68000 offers. anyways, thanx for actually standing up for the atari st.
it's a real shame that so many people in north america are ignorant to the
power of this machine. i guess it will never die in europe, though, which
makes me feel a little bettter.

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/21/89)

RJK (not otherwise identified) says:

What do YOU own.  I'll bet it's 1) more expensive or 2) less powerfull
or 3) another "toy" computer.

Sorry.. .my computer of choice, out of the 14 or so that I own, is my
Atari 520ST...

It's (painfully) upgraded to 1 Meg of RAM, and running 20 Megs of hard
disk. It's far more useful to me than any of the other brands of
computers I own.  What we have to do is distinguish between the computer
itself and the company that produces it.

Atari Corp doesn't seem to be able to realize what a powerful computer they
have in the ST.  Instead, they run off in all directions, trying to sell
toy IBM compatible (somewhat compatible) "computers", and promoting
unavailable handheld "video games" ...  do either of these activities
benefit  _you_..?

I'm glad you decided to make your opinions known.  Maybe if more Atari
owners would make their feelings known, Atari Corp would deal more
honestly with _all_ of us...

BobR

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'Post No Nicknames' Newton) (11/21/89)

In article <46300077@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>However,
>they tend to concentrate on theory.  I have had little experience with the
>hardware currently on the market.

   That's too bad...

>"Actually, the 68000 is considered CISC, because of the fact that YOU, the USER
>cannot write programs in its "basic" set.  I am *quite* sure that at the very
>*heart* of the 68000 is a RISC ALU which executes a VERY small program (which
>is stored in the on-chip memory) which reads the instructions from memory and
>decodes them.  So overall, the 68000 is in fact CISC, but it is run by a RISC
>heart.

   Well, by this definition, I would suppose that every micro-programmed CPU
is considered RISC, as microcode only has a limitied amount of instructions.
What makes a CPU a RISCy one, in my mind, is one where the _user_ has few
instructions, and instead of micro-coded, it's hardwired.

--
David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--
(414) 524-7343 (work) |    dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu     | for the future--

rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/23/89)

	If you don't care about 68000 architecture skip this ....
	This is an excerpt from some mail I got about my offhand comment
to the effect that the 68000 was a RISC chip at heart.  I found it to be
interesting and thought that an addition to this notestring involving something
other than Atari-bashing wouldn't hurt.  So I decided to post it.  I think
the author sent it E-mail to avoid embarrassing me, but I didn't include his
name in case he's bashful or something.  Maybe he will take credit for it if
he see's it, in case somebody wants to know something more about this subject.
	I also felt compelled to post it because I was wrong about the 68000
being RISC, and I would hate to think I had left somebody confused because
of my lack of 68000 experience.  I know it's very frustrating for me when
people give information involving things they know little about.  I hope this
fixes it.  I guess the moral is to use information you read or learn yourself,
not what your hear from co-workers or friends.  This guy has some
experience, so I think it's likely to be valid.  My thanks to the author for
responding with intellect and good manners to my mistake.
	Note that I still don't claim any 68000 experience and I didn't write
this.  For that reason, any flames sent will most likely be re-routed to
/dev/null without much parsing.

Note: Timo said (correctly) that the 68000 is much more CISC that RISC.

****************  Here's the 68000 info ************************
I happen to be an undergraduate in Computer Science with a strong background
in Electrical Engineering.  From my independent research into the subject and
class work on the subject, I have to agree more with Timo.

The RISC archetecture inside of a 68000 that you speak of is the microcode
processor.  While it is a very simplistic language to work in, you definately
do not want to program in it.  It deals with basic dataflow within the
processor between registers, ALU and memory access ports.  On the 68000 and
the 8086, the microcode in tucked away within the chip and is not accessible.
However, this is not always the case, the VAX processor is most definately a
CISC processor, but the first thing it does when it boots is load the
micro-code into its internal memory.

But even micro-code can be hairy.  Often, the simplest and most effective
method to create a microcode is to use one bit per register and other parts
of the logic.  The whole string of bits could conceivably be longer than the
instructions of the processor itself.  In fact, a micro-code which is larger
than the "machine code" is not infrequent in the world of processor design.

But this is all beside the point.  The designations of RISC and CISC refer to
its outward construction.  The microcode does not enter into the picture
making this determination.  In fact some argue that micro-coded processors
are not really RISC.  Never-the-less, an example of a RISC design would be
the transputer processors from Inmos.  While they are micro-coded, they have
a very reduced instruction set.  Every instruction fits into a single byte!
The processor has only 3 (or some small number of) registers.  In comparison,
the 68000 encodes all command within a single word (32 bits).  There are
considerably more instructions which may be encoded in 32 bits for 16
registers total.  From this, we conclude that the 68000 is not a RISC
processor.  The 8086 is even worse.  Based on an old 8bit processor, the 8086
remains totally compatible with the older design.  The design of the
instruction set for the 8086 is, as a result, a big mess.

Rest of text deleted