[comp.sys.atari.st] What's wrong with the AMY?

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (11/10/89)

|Brand loyalty aside, why would anyone sit around and continue bitching
|at Atari when they can go out and buy an Amiga 2000 or A2500 and just
|stuff whatever goodies they want in the mondo-expando slot thingies?
|Also, has anyone noticed how difficult it is becoming to even find ST
|magazines?  I work on Wall Street so I pass by some of the largest
|newstands in New York City every day.  Many of them have either cut
|down on the number of ST mags they carry or eliminated them all
|together.  Walking around Grand Central Station for an hour and not
|being able to find one ST magazine does not bode well for my lil' ST.
|Chris Mauritz
|----------

Well, not all of us are sitting around complaining about Atari, lots of us
are using our computers for all the various and sundry (and not so sundry)
things we bought them for. Me, I use a computer all day long and a
flicker-mundo display is the last thing my eyes need to deal with in the
evening. I *really* appreciate Atari's rock solid, crisp mono monitor.
(You may infer what I think about some other displays; I'm not interested in
a flame war.)

ST magazines? Well, maybe Wall Street is the center of the financial world,
but I can walk into any B. Dalton in a suburban shopping mall and buy
more ST mags than I want or need.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely of the author,
            who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/13/89)

Andy Cassino mentions:

>ST magazines? Well, maybe Wall Street is the center of the financial world,
>but I can walk into any B. Dalton in a suburban shopping mall and buy
>more ST mags than I want or need.

Maybe you're easily satisfied with the three or four Atari magazines that
are left in the market...   unfortunately, you've got to cross ANALOG and
ST-LOG off your list, since Atari Corp's capricious treatment of the US
marketplace has forced ANALOG out of business after many years of trying to
support Atari.

This leaves...?

STart  (disk? nondisk? potluck, depending on the B.Dalton)
ST Informer (not bad, but never seen one in B.Dalton)
ST World (Bleeech.. besides, no B.Dalton would carry it)
Atari Interface Magazine (virtually unknown outside of Atari user groups)

Umm...  I'm running out of options here... can you help me with some more
of all those ST mags you want or need..?

The point is, magazine publishing is NOT an altruistic profession.. Atari
Corp is playing with people's lives and livelihoods with their game playing.
Who can afford to support a company like Atari when it becomes a decision
between blindly supporting Atari, or eating..?

Like it or not, that's what it's finally come down to in the Atari world.

BobR

davidli@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dave Meile) (11/14/89)

In article <23991@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>unfortunately, you've got to cross ANALOG and
>ST-LOG off your list, since Atari Corp's capricious treatment of the US
>marketplace has forced ANALOG out of business after many years of trying to
>support Atari.

Actually, I understood from the rumor mill that ANALOG and ST LOG weren't
losing enough money for Larry Flint, so he decided to retire them.  (Rumor
#1 - Larry Flint bought the magazine as a tax write-off and then got disgusted
when it began making money for him...)

-- David Paschall-Zimbel

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (11/14/89)

Bob Retelle writes:

|Andy Cassino mentions:
|
|Umm...  I'm running out of options here... can you help me with some more
|of all those ST mags you want or need..?

Two come to mind that you didn't mention: ST Xpress and Atari Explorer. Both
found in my local Walden's and B.Dalton. (I make no statements regarding
their quality, and what I actually said was there were more mags than
I want or need!)

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely of the author,
            who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

mark@rpp386.cactus.org (Mark Lehmann) (11/14/89)

Dont's forget about CURRENT NOTES.  Available at Atari Dealers and via US
MAIL.  I don't have the address now, but if anyone shows interest in the
address I will post it.

I find CURRENT NOTES to be an excellent sources of reliable news.

Mark Lehmann :-)
--
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Mark Lehmann                       |                                   |

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/15/89)

David Paschall-Zimbel writes:
>Actually, I understood from the rumor mill that ANALOG and ST LOG weren't
>losing enough money for Larry Flint, so he decided to retire them.  (Rumor
>#1 - Larry Flint bought the magazine as a tax write-off and then got disgust
>when it began making money for him...)

I hope this is just idle "rumor talk", intended mostly in jest... I know both
Lee Pappas, publisher of ANALOG, and Clay Walnum, Editor, and I'm sure both
of them would be dismayed to hear this...

They've both said that LFP invested enough money into the magazine that any
thought of its being a "tax writeoff" was just silly. Everyone tried to make
it a success, but there was just no way to pay the bills in the US Atari
marketplace...

BobR

rjk752@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/16/89)

/* Written 12:22 am  Nov 13, 1989 by Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */

Maybe you're easily satisfied with the three or four Atari magazines that
are left in the market...   unfortunately, you've got to cross ANALOG and
ST-LOG off your list, since Atari Corp's capricious treatment of the US
marketplace has forced ANALOG out of business after many years of trying to
support Atari.

/* End of Bob's text */

	As I pointed out in a previous note, you are quite wrong.  Analog
and ST-LOG are merging into a bigger, better Analog Computing.  I have
the October 1989 issue to prove it.  If you didn't see my other note, then
I can repeat the text from ST-Log again here for your reading enjoyment.
Just leave me E-mail or a note.

schock@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Craig Schock) (11/24/89)

In article <23991@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

> The point is, magazine publishing is NOT an altruistic profession.. Atari
> Corp is playing with people's lives and livelihoods with their game playing.
> Who can afford to support a company like Atari when it becomes a decision
> between blindly supporting Atari, or eating..?
>
> Like it or not, that's what it's finally come down to in the Atari world.
>
> BobR

That may be what it is like in your world, but not in mine.

Craig