[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Mouse

dcs60222@zach.fit.edu ( ENRIQUEZ) (11/15/89)

My ST mouse recently bit the big one and I have been investagating
the idea of investing in a higher quality version.  The question is
"Is there third-party support for higher quality ST compatable mouses
(or is that mice? :-)" or am I stuck with the, Icheap Atari version.

Also, I would appreciate a company name or a mail order house name
which could supply me with this.  I went to my local (in fact only)
ST shop and they wanted $50 for a replacement!  I havn't yet looked
in catalogs or mags, so I don't know if this is reasonable.

advTHANKSance,

    Mark Enriquez

    dcs60222@zach.uucp

pi@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Ikusz) (11/15/89)

In article <684@winnie.fit.edu> dcs60222@zach.UUCP ( Mark Enriquez) writes:
>My ST mouse recently bit the big one and I have been investagating
>the idea of investing in a higher quality version.  The question is
>"Is there third-party support for higher quality ST compatable mouses
>(or is that mice? :-)" or am I stuck with the, Icheap Atari version.

There is one alternative that I know of. It is from Best Electronics.
It looks a little more ergonomic than the Atari mouse. No price was listed.

Best Electronics
2021 The Alameda Suite 290
San Jose, Ca. 95126
(408)243-6950

PS: 50$ is not too bad for an Atari mouse.

PSS: Here, here, no more Atari bashing!

Movie Quotes of the 80's:
"I'll buy that for a dollar!": Robocop
"What's amatter Colonel Sanders, Chicken?": Dark Helmet
"Poachers shooting at rabbits scare the big game away.": D.R.Scoundrels
Pete Ikusz : PI@csd4.uwm.csd.edu : University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

wcg_c077@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Stdnt077) (11/16/89)

In article <684@winnie.fit.edu> dcs60222@zach.UUCP ( Mark Enriquez) writes:
>My ST mouse recently bit the big one and I have been investagating
>the idea of investing in a higher quality version.  The question is
>advTHANKSance,
>
>    Mark Enriquez
>
>    dcs60222@zach.uucp
Well to my knowledge you can get your atari mouse replaced for 25 dollars thru the exchange program, if you can wiait an extended period of time.  My Atari
mouse is fine but I bought a mouse put out by BEST electronics, very ergonomic
and the buttons are really well put together(No pounding on the left one). Another one to consider is the Rio/Datel one, cant say anything about this except it
looks like a rehashed old logitech two button mouse.  Finally there is the
expensive Practical SOlution remote mouse, whic works without a tail.
SO in effect you have four mice to choose from in the US, god knows there must
be hundreds in europe.
The BEST and RIO/Datel mice go for about 40-45 dollars
PS remote mouse in the area of a 100 dollars.
hope this is enough info.
 -Ajay
(using a friends account)

BGB100@PSUVM.BITNET (Bruce Blanar) (11/16/89)

I've see places advertise "replacement" mice for the ST for around $49.
However, if you have access to or know where to get a Commodore Amiga
mouse, it will work if just two wires are interchanged inside the mouse.
I don't remember which two, but I have the info at home.  If you or
anyone else wants the info, I can send it or post.

Just another alternative...

P.S. I've tried one and it seems to work quite well (light feeling and
     very good response.)

Bruce Blanar
-------
 __   __   __   Bruce Blanar            |"Everybody need a mood lifter,
|__) | _  |__)  Penn State University   | Everybody need reverse polarity."
|__).|__|.|__). BGB100@PSUVM, BGB@PSUECL|                      -Rush
                voice: (814)862-8036    |

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/16/89)

	There is also an optical mouse out and a remote mouse (no cable)
	that were demo'd at our user group meeting.

	-Spieu!

BGB100@PSUVM.BITNET (Bruce Blanar) (11/22/89)

This may be a little after the fact, but I did not think of this before...
Some people out there have been looking for inexpensive replacements for
their Atari mouse.  Well, there is another option that hasn't be mentioned
recently.  The Atari 2600 trackball.  With just 4 wires added to the
circuit, the trackball can be used as a mouse for the ST in the "TRACKBALL"
position of the switch, but yet function as a joystick in the "JOYSTICK"
selection.  The mod. works quite well and having the joystick portion
functioning yet is a real plus.  The nicest fact is that the trackball can
be picked up at Kay-Bee toy and hobby stores for about $10.  Not bad
compared to the $50 pricetag for the replacement mice in the market.

Just wanted to offer another alternative!

Bruce Blanar
-------
 __   __   __   Bruce Blanar            |"Everybody need a mood lifter,
|__) | _  |__)  Penn State University   | Everybody need reverse polarity."
|__).|__|.|__). BGB100@PSUVM.bitnet     |                      -Rush
                voice: (814)862-8036    |

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (11/28/89)

In article <684@winnie.fit.edu>, dcs60222@zach.fit.edu ( ENRIQUEZ) writes:
> My ST mouse recently bit the big one and I have been investagating
> the idea of investing in a higher quality version.  The question is
> "Is there third-party support for higher quality ST compatable mouses
> (or is that mice? :-)" or am I stuck with the, Icheap Atari version.

Practical solutions in Tucson AZ has a new ST mouse which is cordless,
hence the name Hampster. Anyway, that's what I call it. It has a small
box which attaches to your ST and you point the Hampster towards it. I haven't
bought one, but a friend of mine has.

My friend loves his Hampster. It has more resolution than the ST mouse, so
you have to move it less. And it doesn't have a cable getting in your way.

I don't have a price for it yet, but you should see ads for the Hampster soon.
It has a builtin microprocessor, so don't expect the Hampster to be cheap. I think
that it retails for $150, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, look for the cordless mouse from Practical solutions. It looks good.

rich covert