[comp.sys.atari.st] GEM HELP

csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) (11/11/86)

How can I access the ITEM SELECTOR from M68000 ? Is it a 'C' only thing ?
I cant seem to find it in any of the GEM books I have .

Thanks in advance ,

Andrew Ness . Department of Computer Science
              EDINBURGH University.

                   ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@ucl-cs.arpa
                   UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

domen@wiener.crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) (11/19/89)

I have some questions about GEM:

1/ How do I put the mouse at a specified location on the screen ?

2/ How do I bound the mouse to a box xmin-xmax,ymin-ymax ?

3/ What does the GEM function CELLARAY and how do I use it ?

	Eric

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (11/20/89)

In article <916@loria.crin.fr>, domen@wiener.crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) writes...

>I have some questions about GEM:

(even though I don't carry my docs to work)

>1/ How do I put the mouse at a specified location on the screen ?
initmous does it, but I wouldn't reccommend it. Every program I've had
with it drove me crazy because invariably my mouse would run out of
room, and having to pick it up and put it back down closer to me is
bothersome.

>2/ How do I bound the mouse to a box xmin-xmax,ymin-ymax ?

I imagine it could be done by checking mouse position, and calling
initmous if you exceeded the limits, but ther is probably a better way.

>3/ What does the GEM function CELLARAY and how do I use it ?
I've never seen it used. Apparently, it divides the screen up into
rectangles, each of which has an associated color. When a graphic
operaion would draw, the color drawn would be the color of the rectangle
in which the pixel lies. I wonder if this function takes over the
screen, making it difficult to use other colors? To get around that, if
needed another virtual workstation could be used, I suppose.

>	Eric
| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/22/89)

domen@wiener.crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) asks:
| 1/ How do I put the mouse at a specified location on the screen ?
You need to intercept the mouse cursor change vector, which is an
interrupt routine, and feed the coordinates you want to the AES.
Check the vex_motv() function documentation in whatever books you're using.

| 2/ How do I bound the mouse to a box xmin-xmax,ymin-ymax ?
With your own mouse interrupt handler installed, you can effectively limit
the motion to whatever you want by discarding any mouse movement that causes
the cursor to go outside of your bounding box.

| 3/ What does the GEM function CELLARAY and how do I use it ?
The cellarray VDI function is not supported in TOS.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

daren@umbc5.umbc.edu (Daren Arnold (C)) (11/25/89)

I wrote a little program to pop-up a menu whereever the left mouse button is
clicked. The menu consists of a hand-built object tree, basically pretty simple
stuff.  The problem I am having is with the mouse pointer!!  I know that the
AES records the # of times you GRAF_MOUSE(M_OFF, 0L), and that you must
issue an equal # of M_ON's to restore the mouse. My question: Is there anyway
to over-ride this mechanism?  If not, is there a way to find out how many times
the mouse has been hidden (not counting mousehidden in msh!).
I am using MWC 3.0.5, a .5meg ST, and the tos 1.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
  -Daren		daren@umbc5.umbc.edu

jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) (11/28/89)

daren@umbc5.umbc.edu Daren Arnold (C at University of Maryland, Baltimore Count
writes:
>I wrote a little program to pop-up a menu whereever the left mouse button is
>clicked. The menu consists of a hand-built object tree, basically pretty simple
>stuff.  The problem I am having is with the mouse pointer!!  I know that the
>AES records the # of times you GRAF_MOUSE(M_OFF, 0L), and that you must
>issue an equal # of M_ON's to restore the mouse. My question: Is there anyway
>to over-ride this mechanism?  If not, is there a way to find out how many times
>the mouse has been hidden (not counting mousehidden in msh!).
>I am using MWC 3.0.5, a .5meg ST, and the tos 1.0.

I believe that the VDI routine show_mouse(vdihandle, 0)
will accomplish the task.

-Joe Gilray